Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NatWest mobile App - not available for Germany?

8 posts in this topic

I recently saw that NatWest has finally updated its mobile app to make it available for smartphones not just in the UK, as previously, but now in "specific" countries. 

I've been wondering when they would get round to this, so logged on only to discover that although it's available for numbers in Australia, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, Poland, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the US....Germany not included.

Does that list reflect the number of expats? Some yes, but others?

Rather annoying...

NatWEST Twitter's non-committal response to my query: 

"...at the moment we don't have any new countries due to be added to the list, but we'll always keep this up to date online when we do."

After Cyprus and Gibraltar, maybe D-Land is next...

Well that's annoying...been waiting years for that to happen.

2 hours ago, john_b said:

Does that list reflect the number of expats? Some yes, but others?

In that sense I could understand and make arguments for all the countries on that list...but not Denmark or Sweden?

According to this list;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_diaspora

Germany is no. 9 on the list, well above a lot of places you have mentioned.

I guess that it is not the number of expats, but probably the expected amount of transactions for these countries.

Or maybe they have there own list of registered foreign places of residence and it is based on that.  I know that my UK bank has me resident in Germany for example.

Yes, you might presume it is mainly based on where its business and partners etc mainly operate. Commercial decision.  In addition, the banking system here has not been run on the same platform as the UK and many other (i.e. the one for Maestro etc not the one for Visa etc) and it's changed somewhat now, but there not much of a historic legacy of crossover. 

I don't know how Nat West works but it would have to offer what German law requires.   Immediate bank transfer (payment) option is the one that's often puts off many foreign businesses  from offering transaction services here.  That's not historically the UK (or US) norm.  (Again not sure about in 2018).

In addition, the UK population here also has a specific legacy, the Army, which had specific ways of both operating and integrating (including with aspects of finance), that are not greatly typical of Mrs or Mr Briton Civilian Migrant across the globe.   In addition, we are an ageing cohort in a nation big on cash.  We're not exactly an obvious target cash cow group for apps.

I live in the Netherlands where I was trying to install and register the NatWest app on my android mobile 'phone. To start with, it asked for my passcode, which I had never received. The Help Desk told me that I have to tap 'Forgotten passcode?' after which I can make up a passcode. Pity the app didn't tell me that.

Subsequently it continued repeatedly to say that my Online Banking customer number/pin/password were not correct.

I 'phoned the Help Desk again. The young man on the 'phone was very helpful. After much discussion and experimentation the problem became clear. There are 2 NatWest apps - NatWest Mobile (in Apps on my mobile, the text under the NatWest logo was Mobile) and NatWest International (the text is International). Presumably NatWest Mobile is for UK customers and NatWest International is for overseas customers who have an account with NatWest International. I have NatWest International online banking but was using the NatWest Mobile app - hence the problem with customer number/pin/password. I un-installed the NatWest Mobile app and installed the NatWest International app. After that all went well and the registration went smoothly. The NatWest websites (NatWest and NatWest International) don't make it clear that there are 2 apps.

Another issue was that (in the Netherlands) if you search for the apps in Play Store using wi-fi they don't appear. I found them by using mobile data and my UK sim-card. Both apps then appeared in the list of apps when I looked for NatWest.

I suspect that in the case of the Netherlands, registration only works when a UK-sim card is in the mobile. Having completed registration the app seems to work normally with my Dutch sim-card as well. 

26 minutes ago, EricNetherlands said:

Another issue was that mobile banking is only available in certain countries. It is not available in the Netherlands, for example. If you search for the apps in Play Store using wi-fi they don't appear. I found them by using mobile data and my UK sim-card. Both apps then appeared in the list of apps when I looked for NatWest.

I suspect that in the case of the Netherlands, registration only works when a UK-sim card is in the mobile. Having completed registration the app seems to work normally with my Dutch sim-card as well. 

You need to check your Google play accounts and from my knowledge (problem I encountered back in 2013) even though I had a UK sim card, Google play does geo restricting subject to which country you were in when you set up your gmail account, I was in Germany and therefore couldn't see the UK apps.

I just checked and the same applies to the Nat West app, my German account doesn't show the mobile or the international app and when I switch to my UK account they are both there.

Well they took their time, but the latest version of the NatWest smartphone app finally works for customers based in Germany and accepts German cell numbers. Yippee - almost makes up for the falling pound!