Therapy in Frankfurt (free?)

8 posts in this topic

Hello

I am currently living in Frankfurt as a mature student on exchange, and am here for two months only. I have been having a very hard time of late and am looking for a therapist who I might be able to seek help from before I leave. I am originally from the UK, so am here with my EHIC card, and do not have health insurance. Are there any affordable or even better free options available to me? If I need to pay for it I will have to find a way to get the money for it, but as things stand I am on a very tight budget week to week.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide

Call your insurance and ask if they will cover a private therapist, as the wait times are much shorter. Public (Kassen-) therapists usually have wait time of more than a month. Alternatively you could look up hospitals with a psychiatrische Ambulanz (outpatient psychiatry). This is also covered by public insurance.

I think in your shoes I would do the latter. If the hospital cant provide help themselves, you would think they would have a solution of some sort.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any insurance, so I'm not sure how that works? When you say public insurance do you mean the EHIC card? As in I could just walk in to an Ambulanz without insurance and try to talk to someone? Thank you for any help you can provide :)

9 minutes ago, Dustperado said:

Thanks for your reply. I don't have any insurance, so I'm not sure how that works? When you say public insurance do you mean the EHIC card? As in I could just walk in to an Ambulanz without insurance and try to talk to someone? Thank you for any help you can provide :)

You could try the Ambulanz at University Hospital http://www.psychiatrie.uni-frankfurt.de/44278737/ambulanz but I's start with the University before; https://www.uni-frankfurt.de/35793221/psychotherapeutische 

28 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

You could try the Ambulanz at University Hospital http://www.psychiatrie.uni-frankfurt.de/44278737/ambulanz but I's start with the University before; https://www.uni-frankfurt.de/35793221/psychotherapeutische 

Thanks for the link. I am not a student at the University of Frankfurt but have contacted them anyway to see if I may be eligible due to my student status. I will contact the Ambulanz during office hours tomorrow. Out of curiosity, do you have any personal experience of their services? Thank you for taking the time to share the links with me

32 minutes ago, Dustperado said:

Out of curiosity, do you have any personal experience of their services?

No, sorry. But since you are here for 8 weeks only, none of them will provide you with a full scale therapy (that takes much more time). At most they can advise you 'first-aid'-like to deal with your situation until you get back to the UK. 

14 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

No, sorry. But since you are here for 8 weeks only, none of them will provide you with a full scale therapy (that takes much more time). At most they can advise you 'first-aid'-like to deal with your situation until you get back to the UK. 

Thank you, much appreciated :)

In the Darmstadt (inc Dieburg) area, we do appear to have free emergency state stuff - hotlines and such.  There are adverts for it around, usually of the "feeling isolated?" sort.     I do not know what access requirements are but maybe there is similar in Frankfurt?