What do foreigners like about Britain?

73 posts in this topic

--and have a bit of Cockney, program!

PS:I grew up with a Cockney dad and Yorkshire mum! Had both accents at home!

2 hours ago, onemark said:

One thing that sticks out immediately is that many people here just talk about England (Britain = England?).

How about some comments from people from - or who have lived in - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I like English humour for its dryness and wit but there's more British humour. Look at all the Northern English humour and that from Scotland and Northern Ireland. (I also love Northern Irish humour for its religious humour - it's so wicked!)

Sample of Glaswegian religious humour:

girl brings her new  Muslim boyfriend home to meet her dad:

Dad: ok, son, which religion are you?

Boyfriend: I´m sorry..I don´t understand

Dad: let me put it another way...what kind of Muslim are you ?

Boyfriend: I´m sorry..I don´t understand

Dad: it´s an easy question...what kind of Muslim are you?

Boyfriend: I´m sorry..I don´t know what you mean

Dad: for fuck sake...it´s an  easy question, what kind of Muslim are you?  Rangers or Celtic?:P

I want to share that something I like about Britain is (was) the film maker Ken Russell for some early biogpics he made in black and white. He passed away a few years ago and his death notice got me curious about him. In Germany I ended up buying the DVD box set of these early films!

One of my favorites is 'The Debussy Film' staring Oliver Reed as a smouldering Claude. 

One of the best sequences starts at 4:41, my favorite bit at 10:30, with Claude day dreaming before a blowing curtain (you will have to jump forward yourselves to see these): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhaIwKbI16g&list=PLxnAkasIQwUQILcxHqFbKt6YClBUCryue

What I like about his films is that I feel, in watching them, there are moments where he's taken me right into these people's lives.

22 hours ago, programdirector said:

Now you guys got me watching YouTube videos of accents lol. I know what I'll be doing the rest of tonight.

It's a fun way to pass the time! Try all the Accent Tag challenge videos. The Germans speaking English are also fun. :)

The South Downs Way. Did part of this from Brighton to Eastbourne. Detour to Rodmel in search of Virginia Woolf's home (which was actually closed that day). Spent a night in Alfriston in a bed with the most expansive springs ever (bum almost hit the floor and I'm a small lady!) and my pen friend from Liverpool hit his head on the low ceiling beams a few times. :)

The red roofed cottage and beach with white cliffs near Eastbourne were featured in a few films, among them 'Atonement'

@john g. Your ex-brother-in-law is right though: Scotland has crap weather, or everyone would want to live there.

To be honest, my "love" of Britain is somewhat ambiguous and "tainted" by having lived there for over a decade. It can be a beautiful place, has wonderful, friendly and open people in loads of places (and less open but equally hearty in Yorkshire -- yes, no tongues in cheeks there; I like that gruff thing). But then there are the Daily Fail readers, the Jakobs Reese-Mogg, the completely OTT Royal Family worshippers, etc etc.

Like every country, I guess, it has its pros and cons

Plaid. I love plaid. Tweed too. But not wool. Wool gives me a rash. I think plaid and tweeds are 'British' at least. 

28 minutes ago, Gwaptiva said:

@john g. Your ex-brother-in-law is right though: Scotland has crap weather, or everyone would want to live there.

To be honest, my "love" of Britain is somewhat ambiguous and "tainted" by having lived there for over a decade. It can be a beautiful place, has wonderful, friendly and open people in loads of places (and less open but equally hearty in Yorkshire -- yes, no tongues in cheeks there; I like that gruff thing). But then there are the Daily Fail readers, the Jakobs Reese-Mogg, the completely OTT Royal Family worshippers, etc etc.

Like every country, I guess, it has its pros and cons

On 5/21/2018, 6:51:16, onemark said:

One thing that sticks out immediately is that many people here just talk about England (Britain = England?).

How about some comments from people from - or who have lived in - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I like English humour for its dryness and wit but there's more British humour. Look at all the Northern English humour and that from Scotland and Northern Ireland. (I also love Northern Irish humour for its religious humour - it's so wicked!)

w638-h360-k-no

Gwaptiva: Isle of Harris, Scotland...looks like our area of Crete!!! Onl y  difference...on Crete you can swim 7-8 months a year. On Harris? Ouch, probably never...!!!

On 5/20/2018, 10:14:03, MikeMelga said:

Except for rock/metal music from the 60's-80's, no real attraction, and I've been there 7 times.

When I was a teenager in England, I used to be a paperboy and the shop owner, Pete, would come back every year well tanned from two weeks´ holiday in Cornwall - every year.

On my return from 7 years´ travelling (the last two weeks of which were in beautiful,sunny Portugal ), I visited him and we got chatting. He had never been abroad and i recommended Portugal.

So he went there and came back pale..it had rained nearly every day!!!:P

I remain a Lusophile, though!

31 minutes ago, john g. said:

So he went there and came back pale..it had rained nearly every day!!!:P

This is weird, I remember that seasons were clearly separate when I was a kid, but somewhere in the 90's we started having mixed weather, more hurricanes, etc.

Now either we get super hot summers or we get cold and raining summers.

I blame it on climate changes, but I'm sure some denier will give another explanation.

I visited Britain for the second time after my first two years living in Germany, and at the time it was such a breath of fresh air - politeness!  Friendliness!  Small talk at the shops!  The border guard congratulated me on my birthday before asking me the obligatory questions, and then it was pleasant encounters the rest of the time over there.  Plus, we went to Devon, which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.  So, narrow touristy perspective on an entire country, but I like Britain, and I could certainly picture living there.  My sister lives there and really enjoys it, finds it superior in a lot of ways to where we grew up in Canada.  I've been back a couple of times since, and always enjoy myself there. 

1 hour ago, kapokanadensis said:

The border guard congratulated me on my birthday before asking me the obligatory questions, and then it was pleasant encounters the rest of the time over there. 

He must have had something in his tea :).

A British friend of the family lives in Amsterdam for decades and when he went back to England for a visit, he had to strip down naked, where a border guard checked his buttocks for potential drugs. He has a normal appearance. Welcome home mate!

Even though I don't think I could live permanently in England, I enjoy visiting quite often.

I have many friends there, love going out to Pubs, Real Ale and quite good pub food nowadays in many of them, and what I miss most in Hamburg

be able to make jokes  (and most importantly people will get them and go along :D ). That happens mostly in London.

Things I love outside London, are Sightseeing, Angling and great fossil hunting sites.

And as MikeM said , the world cannot be thankful enough for 60-80s Rock and metal, NWOBHM, etc

2 hours ago, Alexnf said:

Even though I don't think I could live permanently in England, I enjoy visiting quite often.

I have many friends there, love going out to Pubs, Real Ale and quite good pub food nowadays in many of them, and what I miss most in Hamburg

be able to make jokes  (and most importantly people will get them and go along :D ). That happens mostly in London.

Things I love outside London, are Sightseeing, Angling and great fossil hunting sites.

And as MikeM said , the world cannot be thankful enough for 60-80s Rock and metal, NWOBHM, etc

Why couldn't you see yourself permanently in England?

Love for home too much or?

26 minutes ago, Xiomn said:

Why couldn't you see yourself permanently in England?

Love for home too much or?

Well considering that I left Athens to come to Hamburg, no love for home there.

Neither is the Weather I prefer colder climates and hate hot weather :D

I don't like big cities, and given the fact that I am an IT professional, you usually have to work in a big city.

Hamburg is beautiful and you get to live in great area for families just a few miles outside Hamburg.

So given all factors: Area to live, commute to work, health care, compensation, education, possibilities for travel and excursions etc, Hamburg is pretty much ideal.