What do foreigners like about Britain?

73 posts in this topic

I can barely remember what I like about Britain, I suppose I miss Real Ale and preserved steam railways more than anything else.

In my case, Cheddar and not much else :P

Ok. I am a foreigner, and what I like about Britain:

1. That everyone speaks English (except the Scots).

2. Small talk culture: basically, if you are bored you can go to the pub, and there will be someone to talk to.

3. Ale and stout. Well, they became very popular now, my local brewery produces 4 types of pale ale now (2 of them are limited edition), but stouts are still better in the UK/Ireland. 

4. In contrast to most people, I do not really like hot sunny summers. The weather is ok. Not ideal, but ok.

5. Sarcasm/humour.

What I do not like about Britain: anti European stance. Convert to metric system and drive on the right like most normal people in the world do. Ok, you can keep your currency and leave the EU pretending you're Switzerland, I don't care. But throw away the fucking miles and inches!

Their accent. I love a good british accent. Of course they think I am the one with an accent but hey.

One thing that sticks out immediately is that many people here just talk about England (Britain = England?).

How about some comments from people from - or who have lived in - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

I like English humour for its dryness and wit but there's more British humour. Look at all the Northern English humour and that from Scotland and Northern Ireland. (I also love Northern Irish humour for its religious humour - it's so wicked!)

28 minutes ago, programdirector said:

Their accent. I love a good british accent. Of course they think I am the one with an accent but hey.

Then you probably fancy Richard Quest from CNN. Personally, I can't stand this guy with his overly British accent. Unfortunately, he will likely stay with CNN until retirement.

Just now, LukeSkywalker said:

Then you probably fancy Richard Quest from CNN. Personally, I can't stand this guy with his overly British accent. Unfortunately, he will likely stay with CNN until retirement.

I don't watch CNN 

The longest place name in Europe is Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, which is in Wales. This is how it is pronounced:

3 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

The longest place name in Europe is Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch, which is in Wales. This is how it is pronounced:

That is alien language. 🤣

Now you guys got me watching YouTube videos of accents lol. I know what I'll be doing the rest of tonight.

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

Little girl with lovely Yorkshire accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3ieNhEsDY

Just now, programdirector said:

Now you guys got me watching YouTube videos of accents lol. I know what I'll be doing the rest of tonight.

Scouse accent is horrid. Apologies to the people from Liverpool.