Extended trip to Berlin - Living costs.

55 posts in this topic

Hello. I recently took a 9 day vacation to Berlin and will likely be taking a short vacation next time to Munich at some point this year.

I have a bit of money saved up in the bank (not much, about £5000 / 5700€) 

In the future I will be wanting to take an extended trip to Berlin of around 3 months, more if I can afford it but 3 months would make me more than happy enough.

I'm looking to get an accurate idea of living costs for Berlin, for a single person, per month. 

I am not a student. 

My plan (which hopefully may or may not work because I have read about the difficulty of finding places to live in Berlin) is to live in a hostel for up to 2 weeks meanwhile searching for a more permanent residence in either a WG flat share or zwischenmiete.

I've read about how rents are not how they used to be, so let's get that out of the way. I'm wanting to keep living costs down as much as possible in terms of renting costs. I'd be happy if I got anything no more than €400/month give or take maximum. If that means living in a less than desirable district (albeit still not a long a train ride away from Berlin City centre, that will do me). 

Naturally I don't want to use up all of my money and come back home with gathering dust in my wallet either so while I have €5700 right now I wouldn't be using it all, and I'll be looking to save up more over the future anyway. As a guideline though it would be nice to hear thoughts in regards to my current financial position and it's corresponding ability to live in Berlin for 3 months. 

On another note would someone be able to tell me just how hard it is for someone like me who only wants to find accommodation for a few months and does not have the usual standard documents (that I have heard landlords In Germany) usually ask for?  I fear my only leeway would be to offer to pay the entire rent upfront otherwise a landlord wouldn't take the risk on me.

Thanks for reading.

400 euros per month is fantasy land. Maybe if its a roomshare. For a wg id plan at least 500.

Short term rentals tend to be easier to find since there are always people going on holiday etc. But easier doesn't mean easy unless you have significant budget.

If you are planning to live here (getting a flat doesnt sound like a holiday to me, not sure about the authorities) then you might also be in the frame for mandatory health insurance.

All that said 5 grand is still a fair amount of money here you ought to be able to live comfortably on 1k to 1500 per month id expect unless you have expensive habits.

36 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

400 euros per month is fantasy land. Maybe if its a roomshare. For a wg id plan at least 500.

Short term rentals tend to be easier to find since there are always people going on holiday etc. But easier doesn't mean easy unless you have significant budget.

If you are planning to live here (getting a flat doesnt sound like a holiday to me, not sure about the authorities) then you might also be in the frame for mandatory health insurance.

All that said 5 grand is still a fair amount of money here you ought to be able to live comfortably on 1k to 1500 per month id expect unless you have expensive habits.

Really? I know rents aren't what they used to be they say but I've done regular searches on the popular WG website and consistently find places for between 250-400€ a month all inclusive and not restricted to students. 

But you know more than me, let's say 500 a month rent then. Or what are you thinking number wise?

I figured I could get away without health insurance payments for 3 months due to the short non permanent stay but I don't know how it works. But let's add that into the scenario for now.

Maybe we should have a quick reset. What is the actual question?

How much money can i expect to burn living in berlin for 3 months?

What kind of lifestyle do you have? 2 beers and a kebab for dinner, or nice restaurant, or cook for yourself?

Do you smoke or want a car...?

Lets say ypu find a place all in for 500 per month.

You probably need a travel card at about 80 per month.

Live on 3 kebabs, 3 hipster cafe latte and 3 beers per day. Thats food and drink coming in around 30 euros per day or about 900 per month.

Chuck in a couple of museums a taxi a couple of entries to a club or similar and all in its about 1700 a month.  If you need health insurance then its a bit complex but a minimum of about 150 per month on top.

If you smoke then another couple of hundred for that.

Cut out the starbucks and you save about 100.

22 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Maybe we should have a quick reset. What is the actual question?

How much money can i expect to burn living in berlin for 3 months?

What kind of lifestyle do you have? 2 beers and a kebab for dinner, or nice restaurant, or cook for yourself?

Do you smoke or want a car...?

Realistically, how much am I looking at financially to live comfortably in Berlin for 3 months as a single adult.

As for the lifestyle questions that's a bit harder because everyone has different perceptions of what is considered living comfortably. 

Would I like to eat out regularly? Yes.

Do I like to drink a lot? Yes

What do I like to drink? (Might make a difference) wine.

Do I like to go clubbing regularly? Yes. but while In Germany the likelihood of me going out clubbing often is I would say fairly slim due to my distaste of going out clubbing alone. 

What kind of places would I be eating out at? Average places, nothing fancy. 

Ideally I'd be buying the alcohol from supermarkets to cut down on costs. 

I'd mostly be cooking for myself during dinner time, maybe go out for breakfast some days I'd stay in and cook my own breakfast like the average person lives In a way I suppose. 

I'd be willing to cut down my comfortable lifestyle to average/normal lifestyle not survival levels of lifestyle to compensate.

I do not smoke. Drinking wine is my biggest vice.

I will be using public transportation. 

As for museums and what not that probably won't happen often I'd rather substitute entry fees for drinking/eating and/or dining out instead. 

clubbing alone in Berlin is the best.  You dance more and meet more people, and if you go to the "right" clubs with a proper door policy you won't need to worry about harassment (either precluded through selection, or swiftly remedied, by contacting security).  Going out with friends on the other hand just means endless text messaging, wondering who is where, chatting your faces off etc.  Go alone and enjoy the dance floor.

Wine can be super cheap, decent bottles from €2-3 in some shops.  

12 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

clubbing alone in Berlin is the best.  You dance more and meet more people, and if you go to the "right" clubs with a proper door policy you won't need to worry about harassment (either precluded through selection, or swiftly remedied, by contacting security).  Going out with friends on the other hand just means endless text messaging, wondering who is where, chatting your faces off etc.  Go alone and enjoy the dance floor.

Wine can be super cheap, decent bottles from €2-3 in some shops.  

Maybe, although if I asked myself would I go out clubbing alone in my home country the answer would be an absolutely not. I'm not that confident (in that specific situation). By all means I'll dine alone and pretty much everything else alone including drinking alone in restaurants and maybe small bars but go out clubbing absolutely not. 

In a foreign country I'd be a lot more confident (for reasons I'm unable to explain since I don't know why myself) but I'd still be very high on the no way feeling. I toyed with the idea when I was in Berlin last on vacation and just could not bring myself to do it. 

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

AFAIK as long as he doesn´t stay for more than 90 days it´s not necessary to register and have health insurance. Travel health insurance would still be advisable though.

26 minutes ago, jeba said:

AFAIK as long as he doesn´t stay for more than 90 days it´s not necessary to register and have health insurance. Travel health insurance would still be advisable though.

I have read this somewhere before also but was never completely sure. Either way it's nice to know that's at least a bit of money saved on that front. 

32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I hope your are not planning on blowing your entire life savings on a few months in Berlin.

That's not the plan no, hence and I quote in my original post:

'Naturally I don't want to use up all of my money and come back home with gathering dust in my wallet either so while I have €5700 right now I wouldn't be using it all, and I'll be looking to save up more over the future anyway.'

Luckily I'm in a fortunate position due to my low cost of living at home I save easily over £600/Month. 

Just an update, I have been doing some more reseach surrounding financial circumstances.

I have decided to save up some more money for the next 7 to 8 months. I have set myself a goal to reach £10,000 in this time, equal to €11,425, at time of writing, then making the jump for about 6 months and see how it goes from there. 

I've also been thinking about other cheaper areas of Germany, specifically Leipzig. Although Berlin would be my first priority and make me extremely happy. 

I'd have to visit Leipzig at some point though to get an idea of whether I'd be happy to live there or not. 

Good lord, it's really not that expensive.   Outside the richer / popular / tourist bits that everyone wants a slice of, a lot if it  is really dirt cheap here, in eastern bits.   Put it this way, I'm just back from Poland, albeit a thriving city, but my eastern district here is generally cheaper  on a lot.   And at main eastern station, our economy still prices to the cent - the 1.61 Euro cake, the 1.23 coffee etc.    I get coffee and cake for 2 Euro near where I live.   You can buy a boiled egg for 35 cents.  My cash machine offers me half what west German ones do.   A whole swathe of Berlin is still practically an eastern European level economy.     That last sum is more than 10% of what I paid for a newbuild apartment for last year (and we bought that exactly as it's an affordable base).

If you cannot manage with the sums in the timescales you are talking of, you may as well give up.

Your issue in many places is more likely to be finding a place.  It's availability in popular places that's your limit now (in Germany, the UK, anywhere) and that includes popular smaller cities like Leipzig now.   The "Leipzig is the new Berlin" ship sailed in about 2012, however much the straggling later-adopting scensters might peddle it in 2018.   Nothing against the place but what would you do in Leipzig for six months?

12 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Good lord, it's really not that expensive.   Outside the richer / popular / tourist bits that everyone wants a slice of, a lot if it  is really dirt cheap here.   Put it this way, I'm just back from Poland, albeit a thriving city, but my eastern district here is cheaper.   And at main eastern station, our economy still prices to the cent - the 1.61 Euro cake, the 1.23 coffee etc.    I get coffee and cake for 2 Euro near where I live.   You can buy a boiled egg for 35 cents.  My cash machine offers me half what west German ones do.    Much of Berlin is practically an eastern European level economy.     That last sum is more than 10% of the price I bought a newbuild apartment for last year.

If you cannot manage with the sums in the timescales you are talking of, you may as well give up.

Your issue in many places is more likely to be finding a place.  It's availability in popular places that's your limit now (in Germany, the UK, anywhere) and that includes popular smaller cities like Leipzig now.   The "Leipzig is the new Berlin" ship sailed in about 2012, however much the straggling later-adopting scensters might tell you it in 2018.  

Yeah it is a lot I know, even taking into consideration excessive levels of budget spending in certain areas I'd still have a few hundred euros left over per month if I set myself a decent budget I reckon. 7 months of saving to achieve this isn't  a long time to wait to achieve this either mind you.

If there is one thing I like more than anything it is financial security and having enough in the back account to not have to worry about money so the amount would give me a lot of confidence to make such a big jump in my life. 

Plus if I ever decide to move back home I can reassure myself I'll be moving back with decent level of funds to set myself up comfortably back home.

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Booze and women 😎.

Hey the adult industry, shall we say, Is more lax in Germany I hear. A good reason to move also huh? Ahaha I jest.

Well, good for you, but don't price yourself out, and the question really needs to be about the costs, not personal finance strategy.   Berlin's a big city and so there's always somewhere else to choose, but remember that prices are rising 20% a year at the moment and often more - that district I mentioned reported 60% last year, albeit from a low base of blighted former GDR property etc - and so waiting might be a bit "running to stand still".   You may well just pay substantially more rent and not get as good an area etc.   

13 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Well, good for you, but don't price yourself out.   Berlin's a big city and so there's always somewhere else to choose, but remember that prices are rising 20% a year at the moment and often more - that district I mentioned reported 60% last year, albeit from a low base of blighted former GDR property etc - and so waiting might be a bit "running to stand still".   You may well just pay substantially more rent and not get as good an area etc.   

You asked what would I do in Leipzig for 6 months. Quite frankly my life ambition right now is just living In Germany like any other citizen of the world. I can't provide specifics to Leipzig, I'd Have to visit it for a period to get an idea of whether I'd be happy living there (which might sound premature, I've just heard it's a viable cheaper alternative At the very least to many alternative areas in Germany), as like anywhere and anyone would to get an idea stay there for a bit, but I'd do the same as in Berlin I would imagine, just live life day by day. Berlin there would I think be more stuff to do with it being the bigger city though for sure. 

Living in central places like mitte isn't a priority for me, I'd be  happy enough I think to live in suburb areas such as like Wedding or other equivalent suburb areas. Hopefully saving up these funds will again just add to my security backup if these prices do continue to increase as you say

I do reiterate I'd be looking for room shares in a WG environment as opposed go looking for a flat to myself, if some people are misinterpreting me in that matter I'm not sure. 

At the-moment ( pre Brexit), as a UK citizen, you can use the "freedom of movement", but your NHs/EHIC card is for use as visitor for max 3 months.  So if you stay longer than 3 months, then issues  of Anmeldung, residence permit, Health Insurance will rear their heads!

Have you read the UK Gov website on moving / living in Germany? As well as many threads on TT. 

If you plan only 3 months as a tourist, no problems.