How to check remaining TAN numbers for banking (Deutsche Bank)

25 posts in this topic

Hi, i will be moving to another state for a few months  and I am a little worried if i will have enough tan numbers to perform my online banking while I am away as I understand that the bank will automatically send a new list of tan numbers to my current address once it is all used. Is there any way to check the remaining tan numbers I have left to use? Thanks. 

You can do something equivalent: find out how many you've used. Just log on to their banking site and click "Activate TAN list". When you scroll down, you'll see a "Used TAN" section, which states "Below is an overview of used TAN of the currently active TAN list xx. Currently you have used xx of 100 available TAN."

Simply subtract xx from 100 and you'll know how many you have left.

If you're worried about running out in the middle of a relocation, click "TAN list Order" higher up on the same page - they'll send you another one whether you're running low or not.

16 minutes ago, msnys said:

Hi, i will be moving to another state for a few months  and I am a little worried if i will have enough tan numbers to perform my online banking while I am away as I understand that the bank will automatically send a new list of tan numbers to my current address once it is all used. Is there any way to check the remaining tan numbers I have left to use? Thanks. 

This is why I always used to cross out the ones which I had used.

My current bank uses mTAN instead, so I no longer have to worry about this.

thank you so much for your replies.  yes it was easy to check online and i just ordered another list in case i needed more while i am away.

Have a great day!!

that's good to know. yes my homecountry uses sms pin as well so i was surprised why Germany is still using paper based but i guess it's how things are here with the love for paper :)

You can switch now probably.   It's a long long time since I had the paper list (with Sparkasse) but, yes, as another poster says, I was trained to cross them off.

BaFin (Germany finance regulator) does not recommend to use neither paper TANs nor SMS TANs, only chipTANs or smartphone App TANs are considered safe.

My both banks banned paper TANs in 2017.

DB is more conservative due to a lot of customers over 60 years old, I guess.

The thing that gets me - is that with the rise of the smartphone, phones have become just as desireable to thieves (if not more so), than bits of paper stuffed in your bag or wallet.

Given the hoops I had to jump through to replace my smstan when I last lost a mobile phone, I'd rather they reinstated the paper tans. Not going to happen though...

8 minutes ago, paulwork said:

The thing that gets me - is that with the rise of the smartphone, phones have become just as desireable to thieves (if not more so), than bits of paper stuffed in your bag or wallet.

However both Apple and Android phones give the possibility to locate the stolen phone and/or convert your phone to a brick...

And the thing with the App that (in contrast to paper and SMS) you need to know a password to see the TAN, so stolen phone will not help to get access to the banking.

30 minutes ago, paulwork said:

Given the hoops I had to jump through to replace my smstan when I last lost a mobile phone, I'd rather they reinstated the paper tans. Not going to happen though...

When my phone was stolen, I cancelled the SIM card and ordered a new one.  It was there in the mail in a couple of days.  No hoops.

37 minutes ago, LeonG said:

When my phone was stolen, I cancelled the SIM card and ordered a new one.  It was there in the mail in a couple of days.  No hoops.

...which can be stolen as well.

Actually if the thieves really want your bank account they will not steal your phone. They will wait when you go for vacation abroad, block your SIM card, steal a new SIM card from your mailbox. You will probably contact your mobile provider in the meantime, they say your SIM card is blocked and that they sent a new one, you would think this is a mistake but just be without mobile reception on vacation.

In the meantime the thieves take money from your bank account.

This is why SMSTAN is not safe. Safer than paper, but absolutely not safe.

22 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

Actually if the thieves really want your bank account they will not steal your phone. They will wait when you go for vacation abroad, block your SIM card, steal a new SIM card from your mailbox. You will probably contact your mobile provider in the meantime, they say your SIM card is blocked and that they sent a new one, you would think this is a mistake but just be without mobile reception on vacation.

So in order to block my SIM card, they first have to know which mobile company I am with.  Then they will have to hack my password on that company website in order to report the card stolen and order a new one or they could maybe call them and pretend to me me and give some answer to secret questions and shit in order to be believed.  Once they have accomplished that, they will have to break into my house in order to steal my mail because I don't have a mailbox.  And then they will have access to my TAN and now only need to find out where I bank and my login and password on my bank website.  And then they will finally find out if I even have any money in my account.

I think there are easier ways for thieves to make money than this.

2 minutes ago, LeonG said:

So in order to block my SIM card, they first have to know which mobile company I am with.  Then they will have to hack my password on that company website in order to report the card stolen and order a new one or they could maybe call them and pretend to me me and give some answer to secret questions and shit in order to be believed.  Once they have accomplished that, they will have to break into my house in order to steal my mail because I don't have a mailbox.  And then they will have access to my TAN and now only need to find out where I bank and my login and password on my bank website.  And then they will finally find out if I even have any money in my account.

There is Germany wide number to block a SIM card ( as well as credit card, etc):

116 116

No, you do not need to know any passwords, perhaps only name and address. It is not a good idea to require a password to block a SIM card, I have doubts that is really needed. But I didn't do that myself ever, to be fair.

If you do not have a mailbox how do you get mail? oO

Whatever, here in Bavaria mailboxes are outside the building mostly (but even if they were inside, that wouldn't have been a problem anyway because standard German mailbox has a wide opening so that you can steal mail from it. Which was actually handy when my friend stayed at my place when I was not in town, he left the key in the mailbox, I "stole" it from there when I came back.

I have had to block a SIM card and I did it through my cell company website which I need a password to log into.  I have no idea if you can do it through the phone but in order to avoid abuse, I think they must ask for some info.  Lets say I don't like you so I decide to call and have your SIM card blocked and maybe I do this every week just because it's amusing to me.  I don't think that would work.

I looked at the 116 116 website and it mainly seems to block bank and credit cards because if you click on anything, that's what it comes up with.  For example, if you click on "block now" you get the option to call and give them an iban and I am sure they will be asking for something more than an iban, otherwise I could call and block the accounts of every company that ever sent me a bill.  However, not all banks are members of 116 116.  For example, my bank is not a member.  And when you go into the link who is a member, you only find banks, not cell phone providers.

I have a slot on my door for the mail.  You can stick your fingers into the slot but you will have a hard time reaching the mail on the floor.  But you can of course get a hook and a wire and try to fish.

32 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Lets say I don't like you so I decide to call and have your SIM card blocked and maybe I do this every week just because it's amusing to me.  I don't think that would work.

Anzeige --> this friend is charged with Nötigung. There are many ways to make one's life hell, but we have police to deal with such cases. SIM card should be blocked as soon as possible to prevent abuse which is more probable than bullying which you described.

34 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I looked at the 116 116 website and it mainly seems to block bank and credit cards because if you click on anything, that's what it comes up with.

Yes, but it blocks anything including electronic part of your ID/residence card (which is not much used anyway, but whatever).

I have a slot on my door for the mail.  You can stick your fingers into the slot but you will have a hard time reaching the mail on the floor.  But you can of course get a hook and a wire and try to fish.

Understood, makes sense. Then you're less vulnerable to these types of attacks. But a lot of people do.

Santander uses sms sent to phone. This can prove difficult, for instance, the sms sent to my German number never went through and there was no alternative but to get a UK sim as well as a cheap UK phone which I could use in Germany. But while travelling in India, for instance, there were more problems as the sms didn't arrive there either. And honestly, I truly dislike this dependency on a phone for banking. I actually prefer paper. I also found some of the apps some banks use far too confusing. They talk about things like PushTan and never explain what exactly they mean by that. In short, I prefer paper.

wow looks like my question sparked some debate about security etc. Come to think about it, I would prefer paper TAN now especially while traveling. I had to keep my home country line active simply for this purpose of receiving TAN for any banking I need to do back home from here. 

Well about safety and security, this has no doubt become a serious concern these days and it becomes a big hassle when phones get lost or stolen. The other concern I have now is with internet banking itself. Recently Google announced that they will eventually remove the https component to claim that the pages are by default safe! I always felt a sense of security especially for banking site when https is shown but now I  doubt if it is actually that secure that it can be simply done without it too. 

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Santander uses sms sent to phone. This can prove difficult, for instance, the sms sent to my German number never went through and there was no alternative but to get a UK sim as well as a cheap UK phone which I could use in Germany. But while travelling in India, for instance, there were more problems as the sms didn't arrive there either. And honestly, I truly dislike this dependency on a phone for banking. I actually prefer paper. I also found some of the apps some banks use far too confusing. They talk about things like PushTan and never explain what exactly they mean by that. In short, I prefer paper.

I had a very hard time with the Icelandic banks because the SMS just would not arrive from them to my German phone.  I talked to the cell phone provider here as well as the one there and they said they had no idea why this was happening.  The bank played dumb for a long time but after I specifically asked them if I was the only person with this problem, they admitted that it's happening a lot with foreign phones.  In the end, I got an Icelandic SIM card so now I can get SMS from the bank.

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Anzeige --> this friend is charged with Nötigung. There are many ways to make one's life hell, but we have police to deal with such cases. SIM card should be blocked as soon as possible to prevent abuse which is more probable than bullying which you described.

Well, why don't you call them and ask what you would need to get a SIM card blocked?  Then we'll know for sure.  I have a hard time believing that you only need the number, name and address of the holder.

When I blocked my SIM card, the block did not go through until about 18 hrs. later.  In the meantime, the phone thief had given all his friends my number as his own and he had wiped my whatsapp and started using it himself.  He even put his photo on there.  He had also used up all my credits and topped up 30€ from my bank account (the maximum you can do in one day).  My cell phone provider agreed that it should not have taken that long to block and refunded me what he'd used.