Got stuck with two Student public health insurances in Germany

22 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone!

I am a Student enrolled in a Master degree program in Berlin, my enrollment was super complicated due to the fact that i was abroad (not in germany) and as you may know, the enrollment procedure (Einschreibung) is very time-limited, so in order to complete it, i needed a proof of registration in a public health insurance (Krankenversicherungsnachweis) to send (in time) to the correspondent university.

Firstly i applied at DAK, and as they took so much time (asking for an Immatrikulationsbescheinigung which you'll only get once you're enrolled! :wacko:) i switched sides to raise my chances of getting a proof in time and contacted TK, they served me well and sent the paper by email in just two days which helped me enroll just in time, but then again, i forgot about the DAK completely thinking that in order for the contract to be completed, my university needed to send them a confirmation paper called (Meldung der Hochschule an die AOK), plus me having to send them the Enrollment proof (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) which they asked for, so they can verify that i am actually an enrolled Student but apparently all they cared about is finalizing the contract and taking my money.

Today i just realized that AOK has debited me 94.24€ and will probably keep doing every single month if i don't do something about it!:(

I am asking if this situation can be solved by informing AOK that i am already insured by TK or am i gonna be stuck with two insurers for the rest of my studies!

ps:  i haven't even began my studies anyway but i am enrolled for this semester + still abroad.

Any advice at this point is very much appreciated!

Danke im Voraus!

Hello Endstation! Normally, it´s the first contract that is concluded/finalised which counts.So you need to send  WRITTEN proof to  TK you are already insured elsewhere. And ask for your money back.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

On 5/18/2018, 9:18:52, john g. said:

Hello Endstation! Normally, it´s the first contract that is concluded/finalised which counts.So you need to send  WRITTEN proof to  TK you are already insured elsewhere. And ask for your money back.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks for your answer John, but according to you i should terminate DAK since TK was finalized first (one day before DAK to be exact) and its documents are also sent to my university in Berlin ( my uni don't know anything about DAK). i have sent- the same DAK employee who confirmed my membership- an email last Wednesday 16th, asking him to cancel my membership (i did not ask for my money), but he still did not respond to it, and i am pretty sure he has read the email, insurance companies never miss emails on workdays, should i send him back with TK confirmation proof so he can finally start taking this seriously or should i simply contact someone else in DAK? i really don't want to make a phonecall since they can come up to me with all sorts of BS and probably take the language advantage on their side.

Thanks again. 

I have prepared this as part of the email i might send:

Die angehängte Datei enthält ein schriftlicher Nachweis der Mitgliedscahfts bei der "Techniker Krankenkasse", abgeschlossen am 10. April, Das ist, bevor ich eine Antwort von Ihnen erhalten habe, Darüber hinaus hat Ihre Versicherung einen Betrag von meinem Bankkonto abgebucht, weshalb ich um eine Rückerstattung bitten möchte.

Please let me know further suggestions and ideas regarding this matter :))

Mitgliedsnummer insert your membership number

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

im Anhang übersende ich Ihnen einen Nachweis darüber, dass ich bereits seit dem 10.4.2018 Mitglied the Techniker Krankenkasse bin - also noch bevor sie meinen Antrag auf Mitgliedschaft angenommen hatten. Ich bitte daher darum, diesen als gegenstandslos zu betrachten und mir den bereits abgebuchten Beitrag zurückzuerstatten.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Endstation

Thanks for your assistance Jeba! i have sent them that, and will update as soon as i receive anything back.

Cheers.

I hope you corrected my mistake (must read "Mitglied der TK" instead of the TK).

39 minutes ago, jeba said:

I hope you corrected my mistake (must read "Mitglied der TK" instead of the TK).

i noticed it and corrected it ^_^

No answer whatsoever, i'm beginning to think these people are up to no good.. either way, i'll make sure everyone on their firm hears about me before they charge me again.

On 5/20/2018, 10:59:03, Endstation said:

I have prepared this as part of the email i might send:

I think we may have uncovered the problem.  As discussed endlessly on TT, email is often ignored or dealt with after a significant delay.

On 5/18/2018, 9:18:52, john g. said:

So you need to send  WRITTEN proof to  TK you are already insured elsewhere. And ask for your money back.

Email is not normally considered "written" in germany.  I know, I know, but its not my rules, its theirs.

Similar arguments about a fax without a signature..a court verdict:

oh...can´t copy and paste...too dumb..will keep trying!!!

Update: damn...:rolleyes:

I´m definitely on the way to senility (deserved ). If anyone can let me email you it and post it, please!

Hamburg court , Sept 2017..has to do with a fax without signature and it´s still valid for contract stuff!

So if anyone PMs me with their email address and is tech savvy, will forward the court verdict to post on here!

15 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Standard procedure is a recorded delivery letter.

A civilized reaction would be to inform me that i need to send a Stornierungsanfrage by post, not basically ignore my request, i bet they'll reach out immediately in the case of my bank account being empty or something though.

1 minute ago, Endstation said:

A civilized reaction would be to inform me that i need to send a Stornierungsanfrage by post, not basically ignore my request, i bet they'll reach out immediately in the case of my bank account being empty or something though.

Not necessarily. DAK seems generally very slow in processing email requests. I´ve been waiting for an answer for more than 8 weeks. On another note: you´re aware that you can have refunded a debit order within 6 weeks (or is it 8 weeks?) after the money was taken out of your account - no questions asked, are you?

1 hour ago, Endstation said:

I dont disagree, customer service is a bugbear for many expats.

To be honest they probably wont "reach out" if you cancel the DD they will just write to you saying you have a fine and then get a debt collector on the case. Utterly ridiculous but thats the german way.

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Not necessarily. DAK seems generally very slow in processing email requests. I´ve been waiting for an answer for more than 8 weeks. On another note: you´re aware that you can have refunded a debit order within 6 weeks (or is it 8 weeks?) after the money was taken out of your account - no questions asked, are you?

Yes i am aware and i can, but i don't wanna do that now do i? because i have done that in the past when i had a similar situation with a simcard company that was charging me money even though i did not use their prepaid simcard anymore, and even my bank advised me to retake what was mine but then i ended up with an inkasso letter (for 15€) and since i was a beginner at "how to germany", i straight payed it and they never showed up again, i would even accept them at this point to take the first month sum and send the cancellation confirmation.

if you cancel the DD they will just write to you saying you have a fine and then get a debt collector on the case.

Right on point.

Update

The Rücküberweisung is taking place as it did show up on my online banking, they still have not contacted me for the Stornierungsbestätigung though.

i guess jeba was right after all, they just take forever to process requests and that's that.

Basically, big companies can take " big time " to answer anything, That´s why it´s often better to use the services of a small, independent advisor who needs to offer good service to survive and prosper.