Question about questionnaire classifying myself as either a freelancer or "Gewerbe"

9 posts in this topic

Greetings—I recently just started to do some freelance web programming work for a small med-tech company in Munich (specifically doing database work and working on continual improvements to their e-commerce web engine), and I'm trying to finish the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung to send in shortly before the month's end. Given that, I was wondering a couple things:

• I've seen the debate on whether web/software developers count as Freiberufler or Gewerbe. So for #25-26 on the form—'Art der Tätigkeit'—is it enough to put, say, 'Freiberuflicher Softwareentwickler'? Or should I specify it more—e.g., 'Freberuflicher Softwareentwickler: Entwicklung und Verwaltung von E-Commerce-Software; Datenbankentwicklung'. (Any improvements on the German there appreciated!)
  • With that description too, would I count as a Freiberufler? Or still under Gewerbe?

I was going to send in my form as-is this morning, but then thought it best to make sure I get these last two points correct especially.

And also a minor but different question: do I send in the monthly sales tax payment based on the income I receive for that month, OR do I file my sales taxes regardless of whether or not I'm paid that month? Any help on this appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, jongreig said:

And also a minor but different question: do I send in the monthly sales tax payment based on the income I receive for that month, OR do I file my sales taxes regardless of whether or not I'm paid that month? Any help on this appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

It goes Yearly, Quarterly and Monthly depending on the amount.  I had a paper form with the numbers on it but I didn't keep it as I never ended up applying for it. I think if you're under 2000€ you only need to submit annually. If you don't want the hassle a steuerbreater will charge roughly 70€ each time to submit it for you. 

Here is a detailed guide on how to fill the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung. It goes into details about how you're supposed to fill line 25, and here's a detailed description of the Freiberufler vs Gewerbe difference. As a web developer, you'll be a Freiberufler. At least that's how it turned out for me. In any case, the Finanzamt will tell you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the link above includes an English translation of the form

Hi @Nicolas Bouliane, thanks for that—actually reviewed that guide quite thoroughly, really helped. I ended up successfully submitting the form last Tues.—went quite fast to my surprise, apparently no problems. So we'll see whenever I get my Steuernummer/VAT-ID.

Maybe the next question will be paying the VAT—I won't be paid for this month until early next month, so I assume I would pay the 19% VAT for June (and apparently by Jul. 10). What I'm a bit worried about is whether I get my Steuernummer in time—does one need to have that before submitting the VAT return/payment?

(Thanks again for the help!)

@jongreig My pleasure! When you get your number, would you kindly let me know how long it took you? The data on this is not quite clear. I am still waiting for mine.

I can't help you with VAT. My side gig is generating less than 17 500€ per year.

10 hours ago, jongreig said:

What I'm a bit worried about is whether I get my Steuernummer in time—does one need to have that before submitting the VAT return/payment?

Yes, without it the file will be rejected. And once you have your number, first you need to get an ELSTER digital certificate with which to sign your Umsatzsteuer Voranmeldung anyway, see this thread

On 5/24/2018, 6:21:03, Nicolas Bouliane said:

@jongreig My pleasure! When you get your number, would you kindly let me know how long it took you? The data on this is not quite clear. I am still waiting for mine.

Sorry for the delay writing back. I got mine quite soon after actually, like about 2-3 weeks. So also in answer to @someonesdaughter, figured out quite fast I needed the St.Nr. quite fast(!) when registering on Elster. Thankfully went smoothly.

On 23/05/2018, 13:36:57, Nicolas Bouliane said:

Here is a detailed guide on how to fill the Fragebogen zur steuerlichen Erfassung. It goes into details about how you're supposed to fill line 25, and here's a detailed description of the Freiberufler vs Gewerbe difference. As a web developer, you'll be a Freiberufler. At least that's how it turned out for me. In any case, the Finanzamt will tell you.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the link above includes an English translation of the form

Wow thank you fabulous website, I just filled one out but I'm sure I made a hash out of it so I'll resubmit it!