Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

O2 reducing DSL speed

16 posts in this topic

Last year there was upgrade work to the cables in our area and were able to get a decent speed via O2 ~ 50 mbits for an additional cost.

I've now received a letter that they want to reduce this back to 16 mbits and if we don't agree they will terminate our contract. 

I've checked with other companies on DSL vergleich sites for 'vorwahl' 06150 and they are still offering 100 mbits. I'm very confused what's going on O2 state it's for 'technical reasons' and I'm heading back to the dark ages in terms of DSL speed.

What are my options ? 

I suggest that you check for your full address and not just the prefix, maybe check via Telekom as they own most of the cables and provide the infrastructure to the other providers (Unity media have their own network in this area so don't use them as a comparison).

But otherwise I think you have no choice.  You need to accept the cancellation and change to any provider.  Just make sure that it is clear that you will not pay any extra fees or charges because it is them that are cancelling and breaking the contract, not you.

Checked with vodafone an they are offering 100 mbits. So really not clear why O2 are dropping it. 

Any other recommendations ?

I am just going to share a similar experience with a different provider. The also sent me a letter, but this one said that they were going to increase the speed and also increase the price, and I had to sign a new contract. If I didn't agree, they'd cancel the contract. I told them I didn't need more speed and I wasn't signing a new contract. They replied that it was "impossible" to keep me on my current speed and on the old contract. I told them, "fine, then cancel the contract". This was about two years ago and they never gave me notice; I just stayed with the same contract, and the old, cheaper price. I have no idea if they increased the speed. I don't care. My connection is far faster than I need it to be.

I am not saying O2 is going to behave the same way. I am just saying that telecoms don't always tell the truth, and if you dig your heels they might relent.

What's the notice period on your contract? You might just want to wait and see if the really give you notice.

5 minutes ago, Kase said:

Checked with vodafone an they are offering 100 mbits. So really not clear why O2 are dropping it. 

Any other recommendations ?

Yes, don't go with Vodafone!  I switch to them in February and am not happy.  There is a marked slow down during peak hours which I have not experienced with other providers.

Trying Telekom, The thought of going back to 16 mbits (more 2 mbits in our area) is not nice.

25 minutes ago, Kase said:

Trying Telekom, The thought of going back to 16 mbits (more 2 mbits in our area) is not nice.

Are you aware of this.  It means that if they sell you 16 mbit but only deliver 2 mbit they they are in breach of contract.

7 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Are you aware of this.  It means that if they sell you 16 mbit but only deliver 2 mbit they they are in breach of contract.

Good point. Until we were upgraded last year to 50 mbits we were paying for 16 mbit and getting max 2 mbits. I'm assuming we'll get the same again. 

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

I am just going to share a similar experience with a different provider. The also sent me a letter, but this one said that they were going to increase the speed and also increase the price, and I had to sign a new contract. If I didn't agree, they'd cancel the contract. I told them I didn't need more speed and I wasn't signing a new contract. They replied that it was "impossible" to keep me on my current speed and on the old contract. I told them, "fine, then cancel the contract". This was about two years ago and they never gave me notice; I just stayed with the same contract, and the old, cheaper price. I have no idea if they increased the speed. I don't care. My connection is far faster than I need it to be.

I am not saying O2 is going to behave the same way. I am just saying that telecoms don't always tell the truth, and if you dig your heels they might relent.

My provider gave up trying to convince me to upgrade so sometime last year they just officially upgraded me for free (and without price increase or a new contract) I guess they didn't want to keep track an old product line with a speed they haven't supported for a few years

1 hour ago, Kase said:

I've now received a letter that they want to reduce this back to 16 mbits and if we don't agree they will terminate our contract. 

Are they also reducing the cost?

1 minute ago, msam said:

My provider gave up trying to convince me to upgrade so sometime last year they just officially upgraded me for free (and without price increase or a new contract) I guess they didn't want to keep track an old product line with a speed they haven't supported for a few years

Are they also reducing the cost?

They offered to reduce the cost by 5 euros. The drop in speed will seriously frustrate us !

I've got an offer from Telekom who offered a seamless transistion. 

58 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Surely they sell you "up to" 16 mbit. We used to have 16 mbit before a relatively recent upgrade, but they told us right from the beginning that we'd probably only be able to get 8 of that where we live.

3 minutes ago, jaycool said:

Surely they sell you "up to" 16 mbit. We used to have 16 mbit before a relatively recent upgrade, but they told us right from the beginning that we'd probably only be able to get 8 of that where we live.

Yes, but there's a court decision somewhere that states that the "up to" and the real speed can only diverge so much.

Hey OP, I have moved from O2 to Winsim for already couple of months. Never been happier.. (as Winsim is also using O2 and eplus network anyway) I only pay less than 10 Euro for 3G per month..

4 minutes ago, ronch said:

Hey OP, I have moved from O2 to Winsim for already couple of months. Never been happier.. (as Winsim is also using O2 and eplus network anyway) I only pay less than 10 Euro for 3G per month..

The OP has a problem with DSL, not mobile data!