Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fastest most reliable internet provider

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Moving into a new apartment in Berlin, I am looking for the fastest + most reliable internet provider based on your experience.

I am not fully happy with Vodafone (speed, and down once or twice a month) as I use it professionally so very dependent.

Thank you for your advice and input!

Well of course technically the max bandwidth depends on the technology, your connection and how far away you are from the cabinet.  So if the max available is 50mbit, then nobody can offer you more than that.  And this is what they will advertise to you.

But, as you have probably noticed there is a difference in what you can technically get and then what happens in the backend.  I also notice, since switching in February, that Vodafone suffers from slow downs during peak times and is not as dependable as others.  But this is technically nothing to do with the speed or bandwidth which they sell and offer to you, it is more about the bandwidth and capacity that they have on the backend.  For which there are no measurements, so you need to rely on peoples opinions and experiences.

Most people tend to think that Telekom offer a better more reliable experience.  But there is never any guarantee and even they have outages and problems.  

If you depend on a highly stable connection then you need to take out a business subscription, then you can get SLAs and maybe even use different technology.  But you will have to pay for this and for people who just work from home this is often too much (I don't know your situation).

To be honest, the best internet provider is different to every location in Germany. Afaik each region loves and hates another provider.

What you have to know is: Deutsche Telekom owns most of all cables that have been laid. Which means, every other provider uses Telekom hardware. That means, whatever Telekom grants you is right (concerning speed). It also highly depends on the are you live in Berlin (no of households nearby, no of wifi access points) etc.

Here in Aachen I have 1 und 1. Since it was the cheapest deal i could get here, with fairly good conditions. It took them 3 weeks to get their employees to my place. two weeks later, i finally had a working connection. why? because "the guy" was clever enough to plug in our cable to the wrong hole (within little box that is somewhere in the streets).

If maximum reliability is your primary concern, go with Deutsche Telekom and get a hybrid router (fixed-line/LTE). That way, if anything goes wrong with your wires - which can happen if a careless technician (not necessarily from Deutsche Telekom) does something wrong when he's working on other people's lines on the junction box - you're still connected via the mobile network.

It would be nice if it was that easy...

Telekom "usually" only issue LTE routers to ares that have poor ADSL connections and there are old relay towers available..

When the DSL line on a Hybrid system goes down, the LTE side of it continues to work until such time as someone reboots the router... 

The first connection that is made on a Hybrid router is the DSL(Landline) side of the service and that then autorises the LTE sim card to release data...

@RobertoMurel... Telekom own the Twisted Pair  copper cable system that is throughout Germany...  so typically "The last mile"

and other ISPs share this infrastructure... BUT their own software is implemented at the Dslam (Roadsode unit)

Then there is the Coaxial cable based sevice which is typically Vodafone/KD, Unity Media and a few other smaller ISPs.

Telekom are legally obliged to lease their line to third party, but 3rd party suppliers are not legally bound to lease to Telekom!

Welcome to Germany!!!!