How To Get Work As A Nanny in/around Nürnberg

7 posts in this topic

Hello! My name is Precious and I am 25 years old. I will be moving to Nürnberg in 2 weeks to live my German boyfriend and I have found it exceptionally difficult to find a nanny or babysitter job in and around the area that is not a mini-job and does not require me to be fluent in German -I want to be, but I am not there yet (almost B1).

I have over 10 years experience as a babysitter and a nanny working with children of all ages, abilities and different special needs. I am also slated to complete a degree in Early Childhood Education this summer. Even with my experience, having joined Felicity Nannies and Nanny4YourKid and having scoured the internet for over 1,000 hours in search of a suitable position, I am having a hard time to find a position. I am also unable to do a live-in au-pair position due to the aforementioned beau and our dog and cat.

I would like to stay in Germany longer than 90 days via a residence permit/work visa rather than a language learning visa. If anyone has suggestions for other sites that I may be able to try or methods of finding this type of work in Nürnberg, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 hour ago, seetherboa said:

Hello! My name is Precious and I am 25 years old. I will be moving to Nürnberg in 2 weeks to live my German boyfriend and I have found it exceptionally difficult to find a nanny or babysitter job in and around the area that is not a mini-job and does not require me to be fluent in German -I want to be, but I am not there yet (almost B1).

I have over 10 years experience as a babysitter and a nanny working with children of all ages, abilities and different special needs. I am also slated to complete a degree in Early Childhood Education this summer. Even with my experience, having joined Felicity Nannies and Nanny4YourKid and having scoured the internet for over 1,000 hours in search of a suitable position, I am having a hard time to find a position. I am also unable to do a live-in au-pair position due to the aforementioned beau and our dog and cat.

I would like to stay in Germany longer than 90 days via a residence permit/work visa rather than a language learning visa. If anyone has suggestions for other sites that I may be able to try or methods of finding this type of work in Nürnberg, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi! I have always found the jobs in private agencies like you mentioned but you can also try betreut.de i think its called or even the arbeitagentue in the city where you live, just go online, register and apply. 

Finding a family to click not easy but am sure you will get there! :)

Unless you have a second (EU) citizenship you haven't mentioned, I'm thinking you'll find it impossible to find a job. As a foreigner from a non-EU country, you will need to pass the Vorrangprüfung for any job out there (i.e. proving that there is no German or EU citizen that can do the job).  This will be the case with any "unskilled" positions.  And yes, I know that working with children definitely requires a specific skill set, not to mention talent and LOTS of patience - but as far as the authorities are concerned, any non-degree jobs are considered unskilled.

Even for casual babysitting jobs, or a temporary nanny position, you will need a work permit - you are not allowed to work during your 90-day stay.

In view of your degree in Early Childhood Education, you might find this thread (and other posts) by @NativeFraulein helpful:

The easy way out to get a residence visa and work permit is to marry your German BF. However, it's always best to weigh all your options carefully first, rather than acting hastily and regretting later...

Hi Precious.  What about working in a daycare center or preschool?  There is a major shortage of preschool staff and a big market for English-speaking staff (though bilingual English-German is even better,  so it's good that you're working on German). It may be possible to get your (US-based?) degree recognized (once you complete it) in order for you to work in a bilingual Kindergarten with kids aged 3-6.   Given the general staff shortage it may not even be necessary to get your degree recognized; you may find a position even without that.  This would still leave you with the challenge of getting a work permit as a non-EU citizen, but if the job description for a bilingual English-German kindergartens specifically mentions English native speaker you may well be able to convince the authorities that there isn't an EU-based English native speaker available for whatever specific job it is. It might be a stretch, but may be worth a shot all the same. Good luck!

On 5/15/2018, 2:12:33, atinherne said:

Hi! I have always found the jobs in private agencies like you mentioned but you can also try betreut.de i think its called or even the arbeitagentue in the city where you live, just go online, register and apply. 

Finding a family to click not easy but am sure you will get there! :)

I am on betreut.de as well, thank you!

On 5/15/2018, 8:45:18, the.frollein said:

Unless you have a second (EU) citizenship you haven't mentioned, I'm thinking you'll find it impossible to find a job. As a foreigner from a non-EU country, you will need to pass the Vorrangprüfung for any job out there (i.e. proving that there is no German or EU citizen that can do the job).  This will be the case with any "unskilled" positions.  And yes, I know that working with children definitely requires a specific skill set, not to mention talent and LOTS of patience - but as far as the authorities are concerned, any non-degree jobs are considered unskilled.

Even for casual babysitting jobs, or a temporary nanny position, you will need a work permit - you are not allowed to work during your 90-day stay.

In view of your degree in Early Childhood Education, you might find this thread (and other posts) by @NativeFraulein helpful:

The easy way out to get a residence visa and work permit is to marry your German BF. However, it's always best to weigh all your options carefully first, rather than acting hastily and regretting later...

Unfortunately, the problem is finding a job that fits these qualifications specifically in Nuremberg. It sucks that just far enough away, in Munich, there are "Native English Speaker Required" jobs a plenty. I will be applying to bilingual schools in the area as well as those that offer services for children with brain injuries or disabilities, but I wanted to know if there are other places that I might have missed as far as where to look for these kinds of jobs. I know that I cannot even work a mini-job in the dark so right now, I am hoping that I will find just the right fit in a permanent position so I can go through the daunting process of getting a work permit. Wish me luck :D

As already noted- you are not allowed to work on your 90 day visa,  so you need to think this through carefully .  Employers will be wary of employing someone without a work visa, and  you will not pass the Vorangpruefung.