Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Degoogling, or deleting social media

79 posts in this topic

Right then,

Since the Snowden revelations, it's begun to be wider known that social media such as Google, Faecebook and Twitter have been actively profiling and influencing internal matters in other countries. Now back in 2006 when social media was relatively new, the idea of electing Barack Obama after the years of that idiot George W Bush seemed heady and exciting (I was certainly impressed with America getting a black guy in charge. 

Twitter was instrumental during the Arab spring. Curiously the one big country which didn't suffer an upheaval was Saudi Arabia. Guess who owned the second largest share of Twitter after Jack Dorsey the main owner? Why playboy Saudi Prince Waleed bin Talal, the Saudi who spent last December hanging upside down in the Riyadh Ritz.

Now with the latest revelations are that Facebook has been selling data to Cambridge Analytica ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5726613/Facebook-suspends-200-apps-data-investigation.html

...to influence the Trump campaign (no matter what you support, Democrat or Republican ordinary media in the UK make it clear that you are watching a party political broadcast, to make it fair to both sides). imho social media should not influence either side, left or right.

So has everyone started to to the online version of Reggie Perrin?

For those leaving FB,Twitter and Google there's an excellent website to assist in this:

https://prism-break.org/en/

My email server is Zoho, a secure Swiss server. I use Yahoo but am phasing that out over time.

Yes I have indeed. All of it. I keep any video links on my Opera browser, but I'm told even Opera isn't safe, so am searching for another. leaving all this shit isn't easy at all.

Nah, too dramatic. I'm not a kiddy fiddler (I like adult boobies), don't need crystal meth and don't wanna off anyone.

Then Firefox+NoScript addon will do the job. Requires a bit work at the beginning to turn on the "good" scripts, otherwise saves you from most tracking.

That's an option, too, although you get the same effect on Google with Private window of any browser which supports it. Then Hoxx VPN to anonymize the origin country (if needed).

where is duckduckgo hosted?

Answer, it runs on amazon infrastructure, so all your tippy toppy secret squirel searches are being profiled by the nice Mr Bezos.  Or maybe you trust big business like amazon, in which case you may as well use google.  Either way duckduckgo is a placebo.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Answer, it runs on amazon infrastructure, so all your tippy toppy secret squirel searches are being profiled by the nice Mr Bezos.  Or maybe you trust big business like amazon, in which case you may as well use google.  Either way duckduckgo is a placebo.

For those who believe in conspiracy theories, maybe yes.

Last year I lost a private key to my Amazon machine and I discovered there was no way to restore access. Basically, only terminate it and create a new machine.

There was, however, a security loophole discovered in Intel CPUs, it was about getting unauthorized access to virtual machines on computer clouds. This loophole is closed in recent Linux kernel, but this illustrates that technically it can be possible. This possibility is however lower than someone hacking your laptop while you are using public Wi-Fi (never use public Wi-Fi if your device has sensitive data).

13 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Now with the latest revelations are that Facebook has been selling data to Cambridge Analytica ...

While I always assume Facebook will sell any data I give to them, I think you are over simplifying this.   Like always, ignorance is to blame.  What I understand it happened is that Cambridge Analytica was misusing the Facebook platform, they released a "Facebook App" in which people answer some questions, but at the same time under the hood they agreed to provide their data and their friends' data to Cambridge Analytica.

Have you seen all those "How I would like if I was a woman/man? Facebook Apps"?  Or "How I would like if I was in a magazine cover?" Apps?  Well, whenever I see this everything I can think is that someone went through the job of making the app, test it and distribute it, so they should be after some sort of profit.   But there you have it, half of your friends having some "fun" with the app and maybe potentially giving MY data to them because they never checked the permissions of the app.    

So for the only think I blame Facebook is for allowing my friends to give MY data in the standard way new accounts are created.  When a new account is created it should be done in such way that the account is closed to share data and you decide what, who and with whom to share it, not the other way around.   Because you know, at the end, most of my friends are techno-ignorants even if they think they are not, and I am not saying this with the intention to offend anyone, it is like that.

2 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

where is duckduckgo hosted?

Fishchap I didn't know that. I hate that Bozo bloke with a passion. All those FANG companies are taking a hit these days - FaceAche, Amazon, Netflix, Google.

New search engine then?

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

For those who believe in conspiracy theories, maybe yes.

Well if you mean the conspiracy theory that America is constantly at war, then yeah I sign up for that idea. Since they lied to us about Iraq (I believed the WMD shit) Afghanistan, Syria and Libya, then yeah if I'm lumped in with those who believe in alien landings then yeah, I'll build an alien landing strip in my garden. In fact Signs is one of my fave movies (the clip where the alien appears with the kids at the window is awesome.

5 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

then yeah if I'm lumped in with those who believe in alien landings then yeah, I'll build an alien landing strip in my garden.

Can you Finish the boat first, Please?

So you might find this interesting.  It is an extract from a article published in PC Pro magazine by Barry Collins;
It is talking about the new Chrome feature ad-blocking (built in, rather than an extension)

"Chromes ad-blocking is an act of enormous self-interest on Google's behalf"

As of mid-Feb, Chrome stopped showing all ads on sites that repeatedly display the most disruptive ads after they have been flagged.  How is Google defining "most disruptive"?  Well, it's taking its cue from the Better Ads Standards which are produced by an organisation called the Coalition for Better Ads.

The Coalition for Better Ads has a wide and varied membership.  There is Google itself, then there's the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) whose members include Google,
the American Association of Advertising Agencies, whose industry partners include Google.  Not forgetting the Marketing Association, which proudly lists Google as a member.

But not every organisation allied to the Coalition of Better Ads is directly related to Google.  Some are indirectly related.  such as the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance, whose participating associations include the IAB who we just established have Google in the tent.

In short, the 15 organisations identified as board members of the Coalition of Better Ads, seven are either Google itself or list Google amoung members or partners.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

(I believed the WMD shit) 

No one here is surprised.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

No one here is surprised.

So you didn't, O Wise One? Can you cut the sniping?

So you're going to delete all your social media accounts? And presumably set up a Version 2.0 six weeks later, like you did here?

Talk about an exercise in futility.

At least you get to lecture people on a subject you think you know something about (but probably don't). Congrats, I guess.