Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stealing Gehaltsabrechnung (LOL)

26 posts in this topic

When I was doing an internship, I was curious about how much my supervisors and colleagues earn. I did not ask them for multiple reasons. The most important of them is that they may reject to share this information with me. In this case, if a person's Gehaltsabrechnung disappears, they will suspect it was me who did it.

So, in order to minimize suspicion and look disinterested in their salary, I did not ask them about anything related to money. And I went ahead and I stole a few Gehaltsabrechnung paper which belongs several colleagues of mine. There were a lot of interns there so they will never know for sure it was me who stole them. AHAHAHA LOL

Now, I am curious about how important this paper is to the employers. Can it be replicated if it gets stolen? Did I steal something so valuable? I hope not.

What, is it Friday again already?

Did it make you forever happy knowing how much these colleagues make?

I am sure the employer can give these employees another copy of the pay slip but you realize by opening them, you did break the law.  Opening other people's letters can be punishable by up to one year in prison as well as a fine, see http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stgb/__202.html and surely you could have been fired without notice.

This actually happened in a place where I worked.  One coworker opened another coworkers envelope to see how much he made.  He was seen and said that he made a mistake and thought it was his own.  Then he changed his story and said that the other coworker showed him the payslip to ask about taxes.  They let him go.

On the other hand, it illustrates German neoluddism at its worst:

1. Refusal to send GA to e-mail in digital form because E-Mail is unsafe (even within the corporate network).

2. Refusal to use a smartphone to make a photo of the GA, leaving a stealing paper trail instead.

This thread should be used as proof that paper mail is not safe.

10 hours ago, JoeToe said:

Now, I am curious about how important this paper is to the employers. Can it be replicated if it gets stolen? Did I steal something so valuable? I hope not.

I hope you are fired for that.

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

1. Refusal to send GA to e-mail in digital form because E-Mail is unsafe (even within the corporate network).

2. Refusal to use a smartphone to make a photo of the GA, leaving a stealing paper trail instead.

Email is inherently unsafe unless encrypted. All networks as they presently stand (especially a Microsoft based network) are easily penetrable.

I'm really glad Germans don't trust digital anything as it is one mass spying loophole for the US intel bellends. Smartphone? Do you know how much info Google collects on us?

I have deleted all my corporate Twitter/Faecebook/Google accounts. btw if you want to install apps on your Android, download the APK and install manually, not Google Play.

22 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

I have deleted all my corporate Twitter/Faecebook/Google accounts. btw if you want to install apps on your Android, download the APK and install manually, not Google Play.

You raise some valid points, but I wouldn't encourage the average Joe (or Hans!)  to go searching for APKs online, download and install them.  The risk that the APK has been injected with malicious code is very high when downloaded from untrustworthy sources (and most companies don't publish their APKs outside of Play or other stores).  Plus you won't get any updates including security fixes automatically in  lot of cases.

8 hours ago, yourkeau said:

You and OP might work in a technological backwater, but here in Berlin I havent had a paper GA for at least 5 years.  I think I can request one but we have been all electronic for as far back as I remember.

10 hours ago, LeonG said:

I am sure the employer can give these employees another copy of the pay slip but you realize by opening them, you did break the law.  Opening other people's letters can be punishable by up to one year in prison as well as a fine, see http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/stgb/__202.html and surely you could have been fired without notice.

As he physically took the GA with him, 202 Theft is atop this, so two offences in reality and the 202 comes with a five year sentence. 

@JoeToe, what you've done is extremely serious.  Should your employer find out, do not be surprised if you are not only fired, but more importantly, the police will be called.  You've obtained, illegally, personal data about co-workers and in this country, that is not taken lightly. 

11 hours ago, JoeToe said:

There were a lot of interns there so they will never know for sure it was me who stole them. AHAHAHA LOL

So everyone becomes under suspicion because of your behaviour. 

And actually if I was your manager, the quiet person who never spoke about their salary would be just as likely (or probably more so) a candidate to be the thief so don't kid yourself you were not suspected.

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

This is the same guy who publicly mused about why it is wrong to grope women's buttocks.

To be fair, as far as I can tell he only asked what the police do about it.

31 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

You and OP might work in a technological backwater, but here in Berlin I havent had a paper GA for at least 5 years.  I think I can request one but we have been all electronic for as far back as I remember.

My last job was in IT with a financial services provider, and I still got the GA via snail mail. 

My wife has me print out the electronic one that I now get in the new job.

My current employer saves up the GA's until I come for a visit and then they are handed to me.  My employer before that would hand them out to each employee at the workplace.  My employer before that would mail them.

2 minutes ago, LeonG said:

My current employer saves up the GA's until I come for a visit and then they are handed to me.  My employer before that would hand them out to each employee at the workplace.  My employer before that would mail them.

Me and a colleague sit in the same office both work for "Company A".  With > 100,000 employees in > 160 countries (I think we have products/services in every country & territory).

But, legally they are "Company A GmbH" and "Company A Another-bit-added-here GmbH"

This means then he gets a snail mail pay slip every month.

I get an email saying that my pay slip in uploaded into "secure-portal.com", where I have to login to download or print it myself.

Our HR and finance (including wages) are even done by the same people!

13 hours ago, JoeToe said:

So, in order to minimize suspicion and look disinterested in their salary, I did not ask them about anything related to money. And I went ahead and I stole a few Gehaltsabrechnung paper which belongs several colleagues of mine. There were a lot of interns there so they will never know for sure it was me who stole them. AHAHAHA LOL

Just out of curiosity, did you get the Information you were looking for, with that being that you are wildly underpaid?

Now that you already committed the offense, you could at least share the details with us. Just how much does a supervisor at McDonalds earn?

5 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Email is inherently unsafe unless encrypted. ...

Seems like even Encrypted email is unsafe!

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44107570

A widely used method of encrypting emails has been found to suffer from a serious vulnerability, researchers say.

PGP ...is a data encryption method sometimes added to programs that send and receive email.

Details about the vulnerability were released by the Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper prior to a scheduled embargo.

5 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

Email is inherently unsafe unless encrypted. All networks as they presently stand (especially a Microsoft based network) are easily penetrable.

Yet everyone can steal a paper letter from my mail box. You can't do that with E-Mail. Also, if you send E-Mail from one corporate computer to another corporate computer (as in Gehaltsabrechnung) it does not leave the local network and thus cannot be intercepted. Well, at least not by a Praktikant, definitely. Sure it does not give absolute security.

Smartphone? Do you know how much info Google collects on us?

Of course, I do. Google is very transparent about data collection. It's all here:

https://myaccount.google.com/

You can turn off sensitive data. For example, web search history, Youtube search history and location tracking is turned off at my account.

Tinfoil is not an alternative to technology. Alternative is education about safety and educated choice.

There is always a trade-in between security and convenience. Amazon knows all my purchase history because I hate keeping paper cheques. I am sure you are using TT with NoScript installed to prevent tracking. But that way you lose a bit of convenience. Everyone has their own balance.

4 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

You have a share of IT start-ups. One of my employers wrote GA with the pen...

2 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

... if you send E-Mail from one corporate computer to another corporate computer (as in Gehaltsabrechnung) it does not leave the local network and thus cannot be intercepted. Well, at least not by a Praktikant, definitely. Sure it does not give absolute security.

Of course with the increase of reliance on cloud solutions then there is even less guarantee now that data actually stays within the organisation!

Plus there is always the chance of somebody who sets up an "auto forward" and sends confidential stuff to the whole group!

(That reminds of somebody in my last company who set-up an out of office auto forward which sent all emails to the group.  As he was a member of the group then it also sent it to himself, which triggered the auto forward to sent to email again to the whole group, including himself, which then triggered...  Needless to say, it brought down the whole email network for a the whole company until they could find and fix the problem which took them most of the night.. )