Moving to Munich temporarily and getting an exemption to homeschool our kids

84 posts in this topic

My husband and I homeschool three kids, ages 8, 10, and 12.  We currently live in the states, but are wanting to move to Munich to help his uncle run a hotel.  We also still own a home in the states.  We are hoping to sell the house in the next 2-5 years, depending on how things go in Munich.  We will need to make at least 2 trips per year to the states to deal with the house (selling things, maintenance, etc).  These trips will likely be Nov-Dec, and April-May.  My question is, with us being out of the country for 1-2 months each semester, would we be able to get an exemption to the mandatory school law, and who should we talk to about this?  Going to the states during the summer is not an option, since that is a busy time at the hotel.  

As you are probably aware that homeschooling is illegal here in Germany, you will probably not be granted any kind of exemption. But I could be wrong.

Good luck.

Just one of us going back to the States won't work, because I can't leave the kids unattended while my husband works.  The kids are taking German lessons now, and will continue learning German over there.  They may get enrolled in either German school or an international school once we get things settled in the States.  We're just figuring out logistics.  We may end up doing the 90 day thing, and maintain tourist status, but we don't want to be separated from my husband for that long.  What I really need is info on whom I should contact regarding this.  I want to stay within the law, but if we can get an exemption, I'd like to know.

Exemptions are not given very often.  Some cases involve severely disabled children who can't attend school for various documented medical and psychological reasons.  Other cases involve a child who is in his or her last year of school and can finish remotely.  I recall that the parents also said that the child would attend university in the home country and therefore, it made sense not to be enrolled locally for one year in a language the child doesn't know. In a nutshell, your chances are slim to none considering the age of your children and the assumption that they are healthy. And you definitely won't get it if you cite religious reasons.  There was a German family that was threatened with jail and removal of their children who got asylum in Tennessee.  

7 minutes ago, asboyds said:

What I really need is info on whom I should contact regarding this. 

The Munich Schulamt: http://www.schulamt-muenchen.musin.de 

but under this conditions

with us being out of the country for 1-2 months each semester,

your chances to get an exemption are nil (because the negative impact on your kids would be immense).

The actual school year 2017/18 in Bavaria has 38 weeks. And you want to have your kids out of school for 8-16 weeks. How do you expect them to keep up with their classmates? Considering they aren't even native speakers? 

18 minutes ago, asboyds said:

Just one of us going back to the States won't work, because I can't leave the kids unattended while my husband works. 

Seems like hiring a sitter during working hours would be a whole lot cheaper than flying 4 more people to America and back.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

What about boarding school?

Good point. In Bavaria there are cheap state-run boarding schools. My kids tested one for a week (but opted not to stay there as home wasn´t too far from school) and IIRC the cost would have been below € 300/month/child - including food). I think they would have been expected to go home over the weekend.

12 minutes ago, Smaug said:

@jeba That's why I mentioned it. German boarding schools have a reputation for being much cheaper than UK/US ones.

What I was talking about is specific for Bavaria as far as I recall. It was actually more of a boarding house catering to kids visiting several schools or even doing apprenticeships. It´s obviously heavily subsidised. It wasn´t bad in my view - but of course, it´s not the same as home. No pets for instance and lights off at predetermined times (age dependent). Doing homework mandatory (shock horror) etc. But the atmosphere was friendly it was definitely not like a drillcamp.

These places are, as jeba says, a different model - a boarding facility where the kids come back to after having attended whichever local school is appropriate. The ones which are more similar to a UK model are generally expensive, although I seem to remember Panda saying that there is some law about cost of schooling, and that they make the fees higher through the addition of extras etc.

https://www.schule-schloss-salem.de/        cheap as chips...;)

10 hours ago, asboyds said:

Just one of us going back to the States won't work, because I can't leave the kids unattended while my husband works.

You can. They are old enough to go to school and back on their own. This is what most German kids do unless they live in a village not served by public transportation/school buses. Munich and area are safe, there is a lot of police, have good public transit, your kids can go to school and back on their own.

10 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

The Munich Schulamt: http://www.schulamt-muenchen.musin.de 

Thank you for answering my question of whom to contact.  I understand my chances are slim, but I'm going to check out my options.  Chances are, the kids will end up at Munich International School eventually.  I might also try the online private academy route.  I appreciate everyone's advice on this topic.  

17 hours ago, asboyds said:

We currently live in the states, but are wanting to move to Munich to help his uncle run a hotel. 

That's what a lot of Mexicans want to do in the States: Help an uncle running a hotel. But they can't legally.

I see a huge obstacle that needs to be solved before even considering schooling options: The work permit for you and hubby.

8 minutes ago, jaycool said:

Nah, man, totally easy peasy. Never register the kids or yourselves here, and come and go as you please. 

Education and socializing or gaining social skills is totally overrated. 

Also avoiding extortionate costs like health insurance, TV licence fee, tax .... what more could you want?

I'm not a tax advisor or advisor of any kind and can't really recommend this way forward, but it's a nice thought for some, maybe.