Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need an English speaking psychologist. Not private insurance. I have SBK

8 posts in this topic

I have been here for almost 6 years. My German is horrible. I suffer from PTSD, depression,  and severe anxiety.  My husband is severely verbally abusive and an addict.  I have no friends here. I'm so lonely. I survived a home invasion 2 months before I moved here from the states. Then I spent 1 whole year in my house. I was a complete mess? Can anyone help me? Or maybe want to talk to me? Both would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi there.

I am sorry that you have been so through so much. Even though you are not privately insured, are you publicly insured? Have you tried giving your health insurance company a ring? Or alternatively trying to find an English speaking psychologist, who offers free consultations? They will also likely be able to advise you on the best way to get the therapy funded.

Also you say you have no friends, have you tried joining or meeting up with the groups on here. What do you enjoy doing?

Hope you find the help you need O.P

Hi there,

In general, you can find several therapists who work with publicly insured patients. But in my experience, most English speaking expat therapists work exclusively with privately insured patients. In the case of the latter, the therapist might even be able to give you some paperwork that will get you some tax deduction (I have had this. The letter was worded in German as, Berufsbezogene Coaching Sitzungen). If you are driving there, you can also deduct these costs.

Also in my experience, I found German therapists incapable of being able to help me. One even asked me an extremely personal question on our very first meeting. I think it has to do with the way they are trained. Again, this is my opinion.

You might even benefit from first seeing a psychiatrist who can prescribe medications, that will help with the anxiety and depression, till such a time that you are able to see a therapist (psychologist). In most cases, it seems to be common practice to work in parallel with meds as well as therapy.

I am also available if you need a friend to talk to. I live in Ingolstadt, which is not that far from Neufahrn(based on your profile). I even drive to Munich every Saturday for bowling. Feel free to send me a PM.

1 hour ago, halfpint513 said:

I have been here for almost 6 years. My German is horrible. I suffer from PTSD, depression,  and severe anxiety.  

My husband is severely verbally abusive and an addict.  I have no friends here. I'm so lonely.

Not what you asked for, but getting a divorce and going back home to NY to your familiar surroundings and where you know the language and can easily get a job would also work: https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Divorce_in_Germany

35 minutes ago, lferg49 said:

Hi Everyone, my name is Lee Ferguson.  I am originally from the U.S. and have been living in the Munich area for the past seven years.  Before moving to Germany, I lived in China for 15 years while running a home décor sourcing company.  I received my BS in Commerce and Business Administration from The University of Alabama and am currently completing my master’s degree in Counseling from The Townsend Institute at Concordia University in Irvine, California.  

The ability to listen (or in this at least read) is an essential skill in any therapist. This thread is specifically about finding therapists who accept public health insurance

Do you accept public insurance? German private insurance? Are you even licensed to offer your services in Germany? 

I checked the website as I was curious. The group is offering private services to expats all over the world.  Really not applicable to the average publically insured person in Germany who needs services (states that partial reimbursement may exist when a publically insured individual can prove that the wait time for a therapist covered by public insurance is too long).