Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Furnished apartments for real?

32 posts in this topic

> But, i'll be applying for a freelance visa after I arrive by "looking" for freelance work.

> I was going to apply for a Freelance visa, as I intended to move to Berlin.

Yes, it seems like you realistically assessed your chances of getting a freelance visa here. They do need a business plan, German knowledge, existing contacts, basically some proof that you know what you're doing. They might have given you visa for one year and take a look if you are actually earning money and filing taxes. If you'll only be "looking" for freelance work they'll see that you are not using the residence permit and revoke it later.

If your Family Reunion Visa will not work out, there could be other options. You can go in as an owner of the business, perhaps with some explanation of how moving to Germany will help the economy. Local chamber of commerce should be able to give you some ideas if you choose to go in that direction. 

I finally got the apt keys today... I sent an international wire but messed up the beneficiary name... whoops.

it took to weeks for the money to arrive in the rental agents German bank account.

:(

my next question is, where can I buy cheap bedding, cutlery and plates? I really don’t need anything remotely great. In Australia we have Kmart. Is there an equivalent store in Hamburg?

thanks folks

:)

19 minutes ago, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

Ihere can I buy cheap bedding, cutlery and plates? I really don’t need anything remotely great. 

Kodi is your place then. There is one in Hamburg at Möllner Landstraße 12, 22111 Hamburg...

41 minutes ago, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

In Australia we have Kmart.

Wow, Kmart made it all the way to Australia??

1 hour ago, franklan said:

Kodi is your place then. There is one in Hamburg at Möllner Landstraße 12, 22111 Hamburg...

Thanks!!!

ill check it out tomorrow

41 minutes ago, Santitas said:

Wow, Kmart made it all the way to Australia??

Yup,

its been there at least 20yrs

Cheap crockery = TEDI or other "one euro shop".    Bought perfectly good selection of plain white items there.   Guessing they do cutlery too but never looked (that might be one thing I'd not look low end).   TEDI is a great store for that sort of stuff on the cheap.   Tiger too for bits, possibly?

Bedding.   Ikea, quite possibly too.    Things like their 30 Euro quilts often feature at top of best buy lists.   Also check the ubiquitous mattress stores for bargains.   I picked up 10 Euro feather pillows, for instance.

In general, it's possible to do this bit of kitting out very cheaply now.

EDIT - The thing with Ikea is that they do so many cheap deals that it is hard to beat, and you can have it delivered.   I  also bought a 40 Euro dinner set on offer as well and TEDI may be cheap but an equivalent set of items would likely be similar.  The one Euro shops are not always as cheap as we think - they score on low volumes and convencience often. 

3 minutes ago, swimmer said:

Cheap crockery = TEDI or other "one euro shop".    Bought perfectly good selection of plain white items there.   Guessing they do cutlery too but never looked (that might be one thing I'd not look low end).   TEDI is a great store for that sort of stuff on the cheap.   Tiger too for bits, possibly?

Bedding.   Ikea, quite possibly.    Things like their 30 Euro quilts often feature at top of best buy lists.   Also check the ubiquitous mattress stores for bargains.   I picked up 10 Euro feather pillows, for instance.

In general, it's possible to do this bit of kitting out very cheaply now.

TEDI!

perfect

i forgot all about TEDI,

i can check that out now.

thanks.

3 hours ago, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

my next question is, where can I buy cheap bedding, cutlery and plates? I really don’t need anything remotely great. In Australia we have Kmart. Is there an equivalent store in Hamburg?

Very different from Kmart but even though it focuses on clothing TK Maxx is a good place to get home furnishings and kitchen utensils. There are several branches in Hamburg. TK Maxx is a bit more expensive than euro shops but the quality of what you find there is much higher. Woolworth is also worth looking at: there are three in Hamburg according to Google Maps.

The poorer inner-city neighborhoods of German cities–and Hamburg is no exception–are dotted with Turkish, Iranian and Arab shops that sell all kinds of home supplies at very low prices. They very much cater to the oriental taste so you'll probably find a lot of the stuff insufferably hideous, and the quality is never great, although I would say that the value for money and the range tends to be better than those of TEDI & Co.

Yes, there are so many places now.   And, as I said, prices are so low now, that widens your choices even more.  I picked up cheap baking sets and some other household items at Saturn (which is easy to forget does that stuff on top of electricals), the occasional bit at Rewe / Tchibo and so on.  Even Karstadt and Kaufhof's homeware probably have something for a reasonable price you might think worth getting among the wide range of higher priced stuff - I picked up large cotton bathtowels for 6 Euros, which is practically giving them away.

There's no end of places you can pay very little money now.  It seems like a fraction of what one would have spent 10 or 20 years ago for the equivalent set up.