Furnished apartments for real?

32 posts in this topic

So, I'm looking for somewhere to live (I move over Germany next week), and came across this site:

http://hposten.de/en/apartments-english/

I run my own online business, so do not need to, and will not be looking for German employment.

Now, I applied for an apartment.

But was told that because I have no job in Germany, that I would need to pay the bond + the full 7 months in advance.

This screams scam to me... but maybe its normal?

Does anyone have experience with living in the apartment building. Is this legit?

Im not keen on sending an international wire transfer of some thousands of euro to find out on arrival I really have no where to live...

Hey there,

that does scream scam. Hope you haven't transfered any money before seeing the apartment. Usual deposit (Kaution) is 3 months in advance, but it should be in writing in your contract and only after you've actually seen the apartment.

Be wary of 'landlords' who respond to e-mails in English and of rents too good to be true (500€ for a fully furnished apartment, for example). They most likely will come up with an excuse for not being in the country (wife sick, daughter is graduating), and asking you for a deposit before they send you the keys. Best thing to do is copy paste the e-mail on google; you'll probaly come across others in the same situation as you. 

thanks,

I havnt sent any euros yet.

I'm having a look at the apartment on Wednesday, and hopefully its all above board.

the copy paste for the email is a great idea.

I applied for another apartment, and that was 100% a scam, but sooo very obvious, after a couple emails.

This one seems as though it may actually be real...

I even found a news article online with pics of the opening ceremony...

and they seem to manage apartments all over Germany

I guess all will become clear when I see it in the flesh

On 6.5.2018, 01:06:03, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

But was told that because I have no job in Germany, that I would need to pay the bond + the full 7 months in advance.

This screams scam to me... but maybe its normal?

Landlords in Germany have a huge problem when tenants don't pay, you have to sue the shit out of them to get them out of the apartment and to finally get the money they owe. The later is certainly a problem if the tenant is a foreigner who could abscond back home at any time.

It is a standard procedure in Germany that landlords want to see a copy of the last three paychecks to see that you can cover the rent. Since you cannot show them a copy of a paycheck, do not have a German employer, and are a foreigner, the landlord is in "red alert mode".

It still could be scam, yes. 

Check out the apartment, make sure the bloke you're talking to is the bloke he claims to be by kindly asking to look at his passport, and hand him the money in cash while a witness (e.g. some other helpful TT-member) is around. It would be helpful if the witness knows some German and knows about rental contracts... 

Also have a receipt prepared for the bloke to sign stating the amount you gave him.

Bring a camera to photograph everything in the apartment, so they cannot charge you for already existing defects when moving out.

You also might want to ask for a copy of the rental contract and post it here, so that TTers can look for pitfalls.

second franklan's suggestions, but would add:  when you're checking the place out, be sure to check behind and under furniture and rugs for damage.  I took my place from the vormieters with a bunch of furniture and a rug included and lo!  it turned out a lot of it was hiding damage to the floors and even mold on the walls behind their monstrosity of a cabinet :/ 

Turned out ok as I was able to repair the damage and eradicate the mold, but do be careful

I don't think I'd offer cash unless they really would not accept an immediate überweisung but I'd bring it secretly, just in case.

9 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I don't think I'd offer cash unless they really would not accept an immediate überweisung but I'd bring it secretly, just in case.

Catch 22...

No payment -> no keys, no contract.

No contract -> you cannot register as living in Germany -> You cannot open an account at a bank -> You cannot transfer money to get the contract.

you could transfer from your existing bank, no?

I am assuming the OP is an eu national since he doesn't need a job (presuming that's the only way third party nationals ordinarily get a visa) so he can just do a SEPA transfer no fuss no muss, oder?

My furnished/temporary place was paid via my bank in the US (just the kaution = 750 euros)  under signed contract which was of course null and void prior to move in if they didn't get the deposit on time, and my current landlord didn't demand any payment at all before signing the contract.  I just had to pay the kaution and first month's rent before moving in, but I had the contract.

I'm not saying that will work in this case as it sounds stranger than anything I've encountered - I've especially never heard of having to pay 7 months in advance to get a place.  I thought that was illegal, actually.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

you could transfer from your existing bank, no?

I am assuming the OP is an eu national since he doesn't need a job (presuming that's the only way third party nationals ordinarily get a visa) so he can just do a SEPA transfer no fuss no muss, oder?

op is from Australia, he has no bank account to do a SEPA transfer, he has no job in Germany (and I guess he has not applied for a visa either. But that's only a guess). 

I just had to pay the kaution and first month's rent before moving in, but I had the contract.

That's the way Hühnerposten do it too, usually:

"It is very important that you transfer the first rent and the deposit at least 10 days before your arrival.
All other rents are then automatically deducted from your account every month."

https://hposten.de/en/faqs-english/ (last question).

But then again, the op has no bank account, no job ...

No money until you have seen the apartment and proof that the person that shows it to you and gives you the key is the owner. Be sure to read all meters together and take photos of them and everything else.

Cash only is very suspicious. I would run away from this one.

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

No money until you have seen the apartment and proof that the person that shows it to you and gives you the key is the owner.

The 'owner' of those furnished apartments is a company: Fonds 2 AvR Hamburg II Grundstück Verwaltungs GmbH & Co. KG

They are registered in the Handelsregister, HRA 114580.

The Handelsregister (commercial register) is available for the public, btw. Everybody can go the Hamburg Amtsgericht and get all the legal information about this company, for free.

There are some online resources too, for those that can not go to the Amtsgericht in Hamburg, but one needs to register and pay for the services.

https://www.handelsregister.de/rp_web/faq.do?language=en&sec_ip=87.157.157.215 (in English)

Here's a commercial provider: https://www.handelsregisterauszug-deutschland.de

So the op will see a representative, a caretaker, whomever. 

Cash only is very suspicious. I would run away from this one.

I can't see the op mentioning "cash" anywhere ...

I don't see where he says he doesn't have any bank account, or do you just mean no EU bank account?  His opening salvo states he worries that doing a bank transfer of k's of euros makes him nervous.

anyway I had no problem transferring money from the US for my temporary flat in Munich sight unseen (that was a bit scary), AFTER we had signed the contract, and of course BEFORE I arrived/received keys - it took 3 days for it to be deposited in the LLs account as I recall and I arrived a week later.  Especially with LLs offering short term, furnished places, they are (or should be!) used to dealing with foreigners and transfer issues.

very similar scenario for my permanent flat.  Contract -> payment (by transfer) -> übergabe + keys    

if he wanted to move in the same day, yeah,  I can totally see cash being necessary.  Otherwise, it would give me pause (a long one).

he doesn't have an *employer* but he claims he does work freelance - either way I didn't have any pay stubs to offer the temporary landlord - just my new work contract.

the convo went the way of "cash" when franklan introduced that suggestion.

Thanks. It was mentioned but not by the OP.

In any event, no money before viewing, confirming ownership and the handover.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

I don't see where he says he doesn't have any bank account, or do you just mean no EU bank account? 

Exactly, I answered your suggestion:

"I am assuming the OP is an eu national since he doesn't need a job (presuming that's the only way third party nationals ordinarily get a visa) so he can just do a SEPA transfer no fuss no muss, oder?"

op is from Australia and Australia is not part of SEPA.

aha I see! thanks

I think I used xetrade to make my deposit but that was before transferwise came on the scene.  still should not be a blocker unless he wants to move in immediately

here's hoping we don't see a "how do I get a residence permit without a job?!?" post in a few weeks ;)

thanks guys,

I'm in the fortunate situation where I don't need to look for work, as my online business generates enough to live on. But, i'll be applying for a freelance visa after I arrive by "looking" for freelance work. I'm at a disadvantage not being a 9-5er, so paying the rent in advance is something I guess I need to do to get my "foot in the door" in Germany. annoying... but not the end of the world.

I need the apartment so I can register to get my DE bank account etc... I thought of applying for the family reunion visa, but as im separated from my daughters mum, im pretty sure that's out of the question... maybe its still ok, as my daughter lives close to HH in Winsen. Ill look into it more once I get there in a few days.

super looking forward to eating Flamm Lachs again soon!

On ‎13‎.‎05‎.‎2018‎ ‎22‎:‎33‎:‎53, MyGirlfriendIsGerman said:

Ill look into it more once I get there in a few days.

So, how did it work out?

Hi,

if you are still looking for a flat, I am moving out of one in July. 

In the HafenCity - Überseeboulevard

2 bedroom, 108sqM 2000€ per mth approx, if the rent stays the same. 

You can take over internet if you want. 50MB Telekom 

Can sell some furniture too.

DM me if interested.

Richard

With the Visa question, if he has a German kid who lives here, then he gets to be here too until 18, doesn't he?

so I landed in HH from Australia around 2 on Wednesday, and went to see the apartment at 5. there were 4 others there as well - but 5 apartments... so no problems there.

The place is very small... hah - but thats no problem for me.

I signed the contract yesterday afternoon, and will transfer the euro today, and hopefully move in Tuesday!

Monday is a bank holiday right?

Im staying in Winsen Luhe with my ex, so get to hang with my 2.5yr old for the weekend.

super cool

As for the Visa... I was going to apply for a Freelance visa, as I intended to move to Berlin.

Im happy that never worked out, as HH seems to be working out pretty well so far.

Seeing as how ill be only a 20min train ride away from my daughter, Ill see if the Family Reunion Visa is an option.

I spent all yesterday with my daughter, and we checked out the mtb trails in Altona Volks Park.

it's so good seeing her again after 7months