Refund of tax and fees when canceling a flight

16 posts in this topic

Does anybody have experience with claiming for a refund of taxes and fees after having cancelled a flight? I booked a return flight to NCY for my girlfriend knowing that she will not use the return flight. I only booked a return flight since it was cheaper than a one-way ticket. Can I still insist on a refund of the taxes/fees of the unused return flight? Am I entitled to come to know how much the airline saved on taxes/fees?

If there was not a large amount of very specific small prints, why on earth would anybody ever buy a one way ticket? ;-)

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Can I still insist on a refund of the taxes/fees of the unused return flight? Am I entitled to come to know how much the airline saved on taxes/fees?

https://travel-dealz.de/ratgeber/steuern-gebuehren-zurueckfordern/#kann-ich-den-rueckflug-verfallen-lassen-und-mir-die-gebuehren-erstatten-lassen

• Kann ich den Rückflug verfallen lassen und mir die Gebühren erstatten lassen?

Davon würde ich die Finger lassen. Viele Airlines verkaufen Hin- und Rückflüge günstiger als getrennt gebuchte Flüge. Fragt man nach einer Teilerstattung, könnte die Fluggesellschaft auf die Idee kommen, den Preis neu zu berechnen.
    Das kann für euch deutlich teurer ausgehen! Siehe auch: Darf ich den Hinflug verfallen lassen?

Außerdem werden die Steuern & Gebühren nicht getrennt für Hin- und Rückflug angegeben. Das macht die Sache deutlich komplizierter und kaum transparent.

http://www.geldsparen.de/unterwegs/auto/fluggebuehren-nicht-geflogen-gebuehren-zurueck.php

• Sonderregelungen gibt es auch bei der Lufthansa, wenn man Hin- und Rückflug gebucht hat, aber einen der beiden Flüge nicht nutzen will und dafür Steuern und Gebühren zurückfordert. Dann kann das Verlangen nach Gebühren-Rückerstattung zu einer Neuberechnung des Ticketpreises führen und für den Kunden unter Umständen sogar teurer werden. 

9 hours ago, RedMidge said:

If this is a discount/ non refundable flight, then why would you get anything back?!

Because: Flugreisende können nach der Stornierung eines Tickets stets den Anteil der Steuern und Gebühren von der Airline zurückverlangen. „Darauf kann man weiterhin pochen“, sagt der Reiserechtsexperte Ernst Führich aus Kempten. (Travelers can still demand repayment of taxes and fees from the airline. You can still insist on that according to the expert on travel law Ernst Führich from Kempten).

Reason being that the airline does indeed save those taxes and fees if you don´t fly.

6 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Außerdem werden die Steuern & Gebühren nicht getrennt für Hin- und Rückflug angegeben. Das macht die Sache deutlich komplizierter und kaum transparent.

That is the core of my question. I know I can demand a refund of unused taxes/fees. But how do I get to know how much they saved? Btw the airline concerned is Lufthansa. It gets complicated by the fact that I won´t fly myself but booked for my girlfriend (so that she can bring a stray dog I adopted to my daughter in the US). Can I claim for a refund or must my girlfriend do it? Taxes and fees account for about 75% of the ticket price (but I don´t know whether that´s spread evenly between outbound and inbound flight).

Surely fees are different for each airport, and for each country?

I can well imagine that each airport charges different fees for the use of terminal facilities for airlines...

I think that Jeba should try to get a refund, and report back here on his success or lack thereof.

From my experience the problem is that airlines charge an "admin fee" for such claims.  This can range from 20 - 100+ Euros. 

Normally you will get something back, but it will often be reduced by this amount.

Also, you might have to be careful with the claim.  It is not unheard of for a airline to say that because you only took 1 flight and that you done this on purpose to get a discounted flight that they will "recalculate" your fare and therefore you should in theory have to pay more.  Or they will at least use this to deny repaying you anything.

So it is best to tell them that you have to cancel due to illness or something.

The best way to work out how much the fees and taxes are, is to go onto the website and go through the process of booking another flight.  The taxes and fees are the same, assuming that the route, airline, and class are the same.  And during the booking process you can often find a breakdown of these fees and taxes before you book.

Although the admin fee itself depends on the fare class, so this can differ.

On 6.5.2018, 08:46:23, robinson100 said:

I think that Jeba should try to get a refund, and report back here on his success or lack thereof.

I canceled and was promised a refund of tax within 7 business days.

On 6.5.2018, 10:49:31, dj_jay_smith said:

The best way to work out how much the fees and taxes are, is to go onto the website and go through the process of booking another flight.

I did that and found that the cheapest one-way fare available on that flight is now 5 times the cost of the return trip I had booked. So it seems they sold that vacant seat and I should be able to get a refund for the ticket itself, not just the taxes. Not worth the hassle though.

Lufthansa shows the cost of the ticket and the taxes separately when you make a booking. In my case ticket price (without fees for pet in hold which was more than double the actual ticket price - seems they make more money from transport of pets and luggage than from passengers) was only about € 165 for a return flight and taxes were about € 420. Unfortunately, they don´t tell you what leg of the return flight incurs what amount of tax. Let´s see whether they will provide a breakdown when they email me how much I´ll be refunded. The guy at the callcenter guessed it would be about € 130.- . Seems too low but still better than nothing.

Update: Today Lufthansa sent me am email stating that they are going to refund me € 4,56. It shows total that total taxes (outbound and inbound) had been €  418,01 so that the refundable portion for the inbound leg of the trip are € 4.56. At least they didn´t charge me cancellation fees.

I feel like questioning their maths. If only I wasn´t too lazy.

I just went through this myself. Booked flights with Lufthansa and we needed having to cancel the trip. Ours was just a normal cheap base fair. What shocked me when I took a closer look the ticket itself was only 79€ and the taxes/fees were over 350€. I was gobsmacked! What I'd be currious to know (the rep didn't know) is what portion is actual taxes (usually refunded) and hidden fees. I'll update when I find out.

i recently did not use a return Ryanair flight so I tried to get the tax back -- they have a page specifically for this. I did not have much hope as they say that they only return anything above the admin charge.

As I suspected, there was nothing to return. But it should be different with serious airlines, like the Lufthansa one in the post above this. There's probably a form to fill out online, like with Ryanair.

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

But it should be different with serious airlines, like the Lufthansa one in the post above this.

I dont think so.  I had a similar problem with a british airways booking a decade or so back and it was exactly the same.

Its different, of course, if people buy expensive flexible tickets but the majority buy the cheapest available and regardless of the airline they are very inflexible and refunds are tiny.

Update: took about 2 weeks but I got back a touch under 50%.

As an aside booked tickets to a show for our wedding anniversary, which we probably won't  make, went to resell them and I realized I, by mistake, bought the cancellation insurance as well. A very happy 5€ mistake ?

Correction, my bad math, refund was about 25% 140 per ticket, original cost 500, add the 2 refunds together to get it.