Practical questions on the citizenship application (Antrag auf Einbürgerung )

155 posts in this topic

The einburgerungstest is fine - learn the answers, there's a handy app, and all will be well.

The B1 is also absolutely achievable. Deutsche Welle have a lot of material, Duolingo is great - there's lots of help out there - I think if I were to do it now I would have bought myself a book on writing for B1, there are many phrases etc. that you can just learn, as well as the way to lay out specific documents.

4 hours ago, shannon said:

Oh wow! thats what I was worried about last night, writing

in ink!! Which is exactly what I quickly did last night! I didnt to  put any details of my parents, just my address schooling, ausbildung and of some work dates.written on a piece pink paper! Cos didnt have any white paper! :(

I have nothing to hide but in the beginning lived off little savings and just felt like on holiday here,till 1999.

I'm just back from the interview. Application form is handed in. What failed is My British Birth certificate needs to be translated into German and stempelt,how mads that then;-) I need also need to fone them as soon as I have an appointment for the Einbürgerungstest and B1, ASAP. (So need to start studying the 300 questions. I also cant do the german die das dem and Im not so good with Grammer or writing. I also need to find that Aufenthaltserlaubnis. She said it will be ok because I applied before the Brexit day. But still a little more to do! I'm not going to stress though:(

Ref Birth Cert translation - sounds typical for BaWü. Did not need to do it in S-H. The original UK Birth Cert was accepted no probs.

Ref Aufenthaltserlaubnis - that's bollocks. It was replaced in 2004 with the Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung for EU citizens and that was then dumped in January 2013. Since then you only have to have a valid UK passport to live here (along with the other conditions of working or are supported etc) and just like every other German you need to register at your local Rathaus/BürgeramtBürgerbüro that you live at your address (anmelden) which gives you a Meldebescheinigung - they will probably want the erweiterte Meldebescheinigung for your application.

Also in Baden-Württemberg. My CV was typed and very brief with bullet points. No handwriting, no ink, no complete sentences. That was acceptable in Karlsruhe, where they are known to be very pedantic.

I didn't need to submit my Aufenthaltserlaubnis with the application, but I did have to hand it in when I was given my Einbürgerungsurkunde. They knew I had one, so I was glad I was able to find it!

Ahh I've just googled erweiterte Meldebescheinigung as I only had the updated einfach one.Luckily she said that they can sort it out there. I was surprised when she asked for the Aufenthaltserlaubnis Im sure I still have it. She just said not to worry and to take it for the Einbürgerung. I wonder if she meant after the  31.01??? that I I'll need one?? Im going start looking for it in a minute :)

Back in 2005 when I applied in Ba-Wü the Meldebescheinigung was not needed, the Beamter told 

me he had access to the records anyway. I still had the "unbefristete Aufenthaltsberechtigung" from the 

early 90s and was asked to hand it in when I collected the Einbürgerungsurkunde: "You won't need 

that anymore, you have citizenship".  I also did not need to provide translations of my birth certificate 

or any other documents. The Beamter said "that's fine, I can read English". I think he wanted to 

impress me with his knowledge of English.  Overall it was a surprisingly painless procedure for me. 

Hope it works out for you as well!

Reading further the comments, I think the old saying "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" is appropriate. I have a feeling it all depends on the person processing (or in my case pre-processing), the application. I personally had to provide pretty much everything before I could even submit the application, my town hall wouldn't accept the application otherwise, the only thing I couldn't provide at the was the results of the language test but showed I had taken one, so they were willing to take the application. They had been provided with a briefing that a hand written CV was to be submitted with the application, plus translation of documents where needed.  Maybe this atttude helped speed things up as five-six weeks later I had citizenship.

Hi there, can anyone help with this question regarding giving your current citizenship.

I would be inclined to answer "no", and offer as Grund my EU citizenship as qualifying me to retain my existing citizenship, in addition to the German one.

Would this be acceptable? The question is actually two questions in one (as it says you agree to give up your current citizenship AND also agree to take all neccessary steps after the German citizenship is confirmed).

Can anyone share how they filled in this section?

Thanks

2020-05-21 14_01_51-Antrag auf Einbürgerung.png

At the time I filled in the answer, as a Brit, I had EU citizenship. So, as your suggestion, I said no, and I'll keep my Brit. citizenship.

I became a 'Doppelstaatler'.

Can't say if this still works for Brits in May 2020 due to Brexit.

Ignore the refs to Brit/Brexit if you're from somewhere else ;)

and just answer No.

I was prepared to give up my citizenship, but only if I really had to, so I left this section on the form blank and discussed it with my caseworker when I went to hand it in.

I explained my position to the caseworker and he said that as a UK citizen it would be fine to keep both, but of course I was applying a few years ago, before brexit actually kicked in, so the rules may well be different for you.

Germany does not require citizens of other EU countries to give up their original citizenship.  Of course there are EU countries that do not allow you to be dual but that is a different problem.

Back then in 2005 I ticked the "Nein" box on the question "Vermeidung von Mehrstaatigkeit" and wrote

the following reason (I still have a copy of the form in my files):  

"Ich beziehe mich auf Paragraph 87  Absatz 2 Ausländergesetz, wonach von EU-Bürgern die Aufgabe 

der bisherigen Staatsbürgerschaft nicht verlangt wird, deren Staaten dies von deutschen Bewerbern auch

nicht verlangen, also das Prinzip der Gegenseitigkeit." 

Of course, the legal situation is different now, as the UK has already left the EU and is now in the 

transition period until the end of December. I don't know how this works with people from the UK

applying for citizenship now.

On 5/21/2020, 2:04:27, lvv said:

Hi there, can anyone help with this question regarding giving your current citizenship.

I would be inclined to answer "no", and offer as Grund my EU citizenship as qualifying me to retain my existing citizenship, in addition to the German one.

Would this be acceptable? The question is actually two questions in one (as it says you agree to give up your current citizenship AND also agree to take all neccessary steps after the German citizenship is confirmed).

Can anyone share how they filled in this section?

Thanks

2020-05-21 14_01_51-Antrag auf Einbürgerung.png

I applied 2 years ago and ticked 'nein' and wrote:

Laut § 12 Absatz (2) der Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz (StAG) muss ein Ausländer die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union nicht aufgeben

Which I found after doing a bit of research online. When I handed my application in my case worker just said that they don't ask UK citizens to give up their citizenship and carried on checking through the form.

Any experience in recent times with the processing time once you hand in your application? 

We were told it could take 1-2 years as the offices are not fully functional due to Corona. 

On 5/29/2020, 11:58:19, ivn490 said:

Any experience in recent times with the processing time once you hand in your application? 

We were told it could take 1-2 years as the offices are not fully functional due to Corona. 

Would love to hear about this too. 2 years is pretty ridiculous.