Practical questions on the citizenship application (Antrag auf Einbürgerung )

154 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

What the German citizenship test should really be like!!

#MadeMeGiggle

Yeah, there’s some serious stuff on there though, like the need for professional development all through your career.

I was pretty darned impressed that was a part of becoming German. I wonder if it’s on the U.K. test.

Or our British traditions of Labour unions, equal access to votes, etc etc. The German citizenship test has some genuinely badass civics actually.

I spoke with one of the local officials two weeks ago, and had my appointment at the local Rathaus for my application today. It seems to have gone smoothly (although I was told I won't know officially for a couple of weeks), and some tips/points which might be relevant for other applicants are:

1) I did not have to do the German language test. Instead, they were happy to accept the results of some exams I took in German at a German university in the mid 1990s; 

2) whilst I have only been in Germany for just over two years at present, they are also minded to allow the fact that I spent some years in Germany in the mid 90s.

Generally, I came away with the impression that the officials have a decent amount of discretion/flexibility. Particularly if you turn up speaking German, have tonnes of supporting and original documents all prepared. I took everything from obvious stuff like birth certificates and marriage certificates, through to exam results in the 90s, evidence that I am supporting a family here, evidence that I am insured and paying tax here etc. 

Of course, it might also help that I'm applying at a small town in the Eifel, rather than somewhere like Berlin or Munich where there might be a queue of people waiting for appointments.

I'll provide an update once I hear back - particularly if it turns out my current optimism is misplaced!

Well, he probably thought it totally wasn't worth trying given the 2 years thing. 

Hopefully it was. If so, amazing, really.

12 hours ago, kiplette said:

he probably thought it totally wasn't worth trying given the 2 years thing

That was exactly the issue. However, I spoke to a friend of mine (born to US parents in Berlin), who put me in touch with one of the officials at our Kreis he knew, and who had shown flexibility towards him. After giving the poor bloke my life story (including an additional page of countries and towns where I have lived), he said that taken with my previous stays in Germany, my current two year run plus the fact that I am married to a German, should be taken together to get me over the threshold. My understanding from my appointment at the local Rathaus, was that it will be that individual (the one with whom I had the earlier conversation) who will make the decision. So... in principle it should be ok...of course, I might be too optimistic.  

On 8.5.2018, 14:27:31, kaffeemitmilch said:

You're applying in Frankfurt, right? Did you meet with the Einbuergerungbehoerde to get your checklist? You can email them these questions. They will respond.

In Münster they don't respond to emails (so far). =(

Did anyone of you have to submit a Staatsangehörigkeitsnachweis other than your valid UK passport? It says Staatsangehörigkeitsnachweis on the official list of Einbürgerungsunterlagen in addition to gültiger Pass. How could I get a British Staatsangehörigkeitsnachweis?

By the way, I now have received an email reply and have been told that I do have to wait until August for a Beratungstermin. Argh.

@Chris Marston In case of UK citizens, the passport is proof of citizenship. The people at the Amt "should" know this, and shouldn't be asking for an additional doc to prove that.

UNLESS it's not a straight forward situation (Brit overseas passport / you already hold multiple citizenships / you acquired Brit citizenship through naturalization where you took a test etc...

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode

Thanks, @paulwork! It should be straight forward. I am just concerned to get everything 100% right, so that I can hand in the complete documentation in August 2019. I am currently collecting the erweiterte Meldebeschinigungen from all my previous German locations. Gladly, I can apply for them via email so far.

folks, I stayed in Bremen for 3 months 
Do I need to mention it or I can put continous Bonn for the complete timeperiod?

I haev moved a lot and this time period thing can get annoying! :)

@kapil354 I don't see the problem writing your 3 months stay in Bremen. What's your worry?

I have no idea where to begin with the lebenslauf. When I first came here I just got by, by living off savings/or occasinal zeitarbeit firma.

My First proper employment was in 1999? Is it ok to start the lebenslauf when in germany from 1999?

^ A lebenslauf covers usually the last 5-10 years / last 2 or 3 jobs. Nobody is interested in offering you employment to keep you away from the Arbeitsamt, based on what you did in 1982. 

it's perfectly fine to write "1982-1990: various temporary jobs in gastronomy / office work / farming" etc...

15 hours ago, shannon said:

I have no idea where to begin with the lebenslauf. When I first came here I just got by, by living off savings/or occasinal zeitarbeit firma.

My First proper employment was in 1999? Is it ok to start the lebenslauf when in germany from 1999?

The are not looking for a CV for a job. They want you to list out where you were and what you were doing so they can also check the consistency of your story, find any gaps where you may be trying to hide something and do background checks.if they think it's necessary.

16 hours ago, shannon said:

Shannon, AdHa is correct in that they want a full Lebenslauf and not a CV as you would for a job application. I was also confused with this, and double checked with my mother-in-law who luckily had to write something similar to get a job at the education ministry. So you should start from the moment you were born where, who were your parents etc, then on to school and so forth. It should be in written in full sentences, in a logical chronological order, plus (in case your Bürgeramt haven't told you), it should be hand written in ink.

...very useful ongoing post!

I am wondering whether it is mandatory to submit the foreign divorce papers for naturalization? 

Translation etc. is heck of a job!

Oh wow! thats what I was worried about last night, writing

in ink!! Which is exactly what I quickly did last night! I didnt to  put any details of my parents, just my address schooling, ausbildung and of some work dates.written on a piece pink paper! Cos didnt have any white paper! :(

I have nothing to hide but in the beginning lived off little savings and just felt like on holiday here,till 1999.

I'm just back from the interview. Application form is handed in. What failed is My British Birth certificate needs to be translated into German and stempelt,how mads that then;-) I need also need to fone them as soon as I have an appointment for the Einbürgerungstest and B1, ASAP. (So need to start studying the 300 questions. I also cant do the german die das dem and Im not so good with Grammer or writing. I also need to find that Aufenthaltserlaubnis. She said it will be ok because I applied before the Brexit day. But still a little more to do! I'm not going to stress though:(