Practical questions on the citizenship application (Antrag auf Einbürgerung )

131 posts in this topic

Just now, swimmer said:

Any of the awarding bodies will do - certainly telc but also goethe (and others I guess others like that one the Unis use for entry, DSH or whatever it's called).   I had minimum B1  from telc from the integration course but used the goethe C1 in my application.  May as well punch as hard as you can.

Yeah, the other factor is I'm constantly doing exams for work at the moment and a bunch of other stuff so I'd like to make sure I'm physically / mentally able to pass :-) I think B2 is the right choice at this point.

Also managed to find another B2 test paper online from Klett, apparently even legit.

UK marriage certificate. Should we get this officially recognized as a marriage in Germany, or is it enough just to present it together with the official translation?

2 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

UK marriage certificate. Should we get this officially recognized as a marriage in Germany, or is it enough just to present it together with the official translation?

Certified translation and original (they will keep a copy) should be enough. I was married in Edinburgh and had the marriage certificate translated. I was divorced in Germany so of course no translation was needed for that. 

how far back does 'schulbildung' go? All 5 primary schools? Or just starting with the 1 secondary school - my kids have written their Grundschulen, but they have more space. And does a degree go in Schulbildung or in Berufsausbildung? I have a BAHons and a PGCE.

Thank you. This is a great thread, sos.

For all the questions with lots of possible entries like "Schulbildung" etc, I used a separate sheet of paper and just attached it (I put them all on one sheet).

For Schulbildung in particular I just put this:-

Von

Bis

Schulart

Staat

“Primary”

UK

“Secondary”

UK

If they had asked for details of which school etc I would have put them all in, but in the Bremen form they didn't ask so I didn't tell.

I put my university degrees in the Berufsausbildung section because on the Bremen form the actual title of the table was "Berufsausbildung/Studium/Qualification/Fortbildung, Umschulung"

Ah, that is helpful - they probably all want the same info in the same slots, and Bremen is much more clearly labelled. Thank you.

On 8/22/2018, 12:53:05, kiplette said:

how far back does 'schulbildung' go? All 5 primary schools? Or just starting with the 1 secondary school - my kids have written their Grundschulen, but they have more space. And does a degree go in Schulbildung or in Berufsausbildung? I have a BAHons and a PGCE.

Thank you. This is a great thread, sos.

It's funny, they don't ask for educational history at all here.

That's because we are all super clever :lol:.   We have self-selected on that, in a place like Rhein-Main.  They don't really see operate on a "did you once go to school?" level with us here.  More that can programme a computer, produce a set of accounts, design a car , speak at least three languages and such.    I don't really understand the priority some parties place on it.   Sure I could write down my all-long-since-closed UK schools from decades ago but it's a total waste of time, adds nothing.

Agree with Bramble: If you get your marriage certificate translated, get the translation certified as well.

4 minutes ago, sos-the-rope said:

When do we pay the EUR 255? Do I need to go to the hand-in meeting with cash in my pocket???

It´s when you go to pick-up your naturalization certificate. In Munich you could pay with Cash or EC card.

1 hour ago, sos-the-rope said:

When do we pay the EUR 255? Do I need to go to the hand-in meeting with cash in my pocket???

No!

How it worked for me (also in Hessen) earlier this year is that approximately 3- 5 days after the documents were submitted by the responsible beamter in my local Rathaus (they scan and submit them electronically), I received an invoice from Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt (who done the processing of my application) to pay the 255 Euros via Bank transfer.

Given you are in Frankfurt then Darmstadt should also process your application.  So it should be similar.

But, you might also have the option to pay when you collect your certificate as @aries6 says.  I don't recall seeing this at the time, but when I received confirmation that my certificate was ready there was also a section which basically said "if you have not paid in full, then any remaining balance must be paid when you collect your certificate".  

Yes, that's right for Hesse.  If I remember there was quite a long time to pay - months.  Obviously many of us pay asap upon receipt of that instruction but you can take a lot longer.

We got a bill in the post at a certain point in the process for kid#1, and paid it by Überweisung.

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

approximately 3- 5 days after the documents were submitted by the responsible beamter

This may well be how the timing worked.

Looks like it's totally dependent on the state. In Bremen I had to pay when I dropped off the form.

Where I live in NRW I had to pay 195 Euros through bank Überweisung just before handing in my application and to bring the stamped Überweisungs slip with me as proof. The rest I had to pay on receipt of my certificate. 

Oops, going through my paperwork and I have actually only paid €191 so I guess the rest will be needed when I get the certificate like bramble.

I haven't read through all the replies, but with regard to the language exam...

I read that Kate Humble, the BBC correspondent for Germany, had to do the language exam despite having studied German at university in the UK. As I did.

Germans, however, only think that their qualifications count for anything.

A student of mine from Indonesia (or was it the Philippines?) actually did a degree in English in her home country. She wanted to study in English here in Germany, but she needed to do the Cambridge Proficiency Exam to prove her level of English. (I teach two exam preparation courses for this particular exam.) Fortunately, she passed.

So.. if you studied German in the UK, they probably won't accept it. I was lucky; I had done the translation exam at the local chamber of commerce. As it was a German qualification, it was acceptable.