Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about telephony expressions and phrases

23 posts in this topic

Hi!

I am in the process of making a prototype of an automated telephony system available in German.  

I would be very grateful for any input on the phrases I have gone with to find out if they are correct and sound good/natural – or if you have better suggestions.

Here are some example phrases (with the English within parenthesis).  

1) Unbekannter Abonnent (Unknown subscriber)

2) Die Person, die Sie erreichen möchten ist momentan nicht erreichbar (The person you are trying to reach is currently not available)

3) Um eine Voicemail-Nachricht hinterlassen, bitte drücken Sie die eins, oder sagen Sie voicemail. (to leave a voicemail, press one, or say voicemail)

4) Um mit der Telefonzentrale verbunden zu werden, bitte drücken Sie die zwei, oder sagen Sie Telefonzentrale. (To be connected to the switchboard, press 2, or say switchboard)

5) Sie werden nun mit der Telefonzentrale verbunden. (you will now be connected to the switchboard)

6) Vielen Dank für Ihren Anruf, und Willkommen zurück. (Thank you for calling and welcome back)

7) Diese Option ist nicht gültig (That option is not valid (for when you press the wrong button))

8) Für Deutsch, bitte drucken Sie die neun, oder sagen Sie Deutsch. (For German, press 9, or say German)

So yea, any input, big or small on any of them would be much appreciated.

just a quick look but I would say:

7) Diese Option ist nicht gültig (I'm sorry, That option is not available. Please try again (for when you press the wrong button))

5 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

"Telephony"???

Yeah, that thing you use to call people - it's really telephony.

Thanks so much for those prompt replies tor and AnswerToLife42 - I made those suggested changes! Other than that, it looked OK? 

Sorry, tor, I just realized that I don't see a change in your post, what am I missing there? 

1) Unbekannter Anrufer (Unknown subscriber)

2) Die Person, die Sie erreichen möchten, ist momentan nicht verfügbar (The person you are trying to reach is currently not available)

3) Um eine Sprachnachricht zu hinterlassen, drücken Sie bitte die eins, oder sagen Sie Sprachnachricht. (to leave a voicemail, press one, or say voicemail)

4) Um mit der Telefonzentrale verbunden zu werden, drücken Sie bitte die zwei, oder sagen Sie Telefonzentrale. (To be connected to the switchboard, press 2, or say switchboard)

5) Sie werden nun mit der Telefonzentrale verbunden. (you will now be connected to the switchboard)

6) Vielen Dank für Ihren Anruf, auf wiederhören. (Thank you for calling and welcome back)

7) Diese Option ist nicht verfügbar (That option is not valid (for when you press the wrong button))

8) Für Deutsch drücken Sie bitte die neun, oder sagen Sie Deutsch. (For German, press 9, or say German)

Question concerning 8): When ze zystem is already talking in German to me, why should I press 9 to select ze German language? Isn't zat a redundant option? :-)  

12 minutes ago, franklan said:

1) Unbekannter Anrufer (Unknown subscriber)

2) Die Person, die Sie erreichen möchten, ist momentan nicht verfügbar (The person you are trying to reach is currently not available)

3) Um eine Sprachnachricht zu hinterlassen, drücken Sie bitte die Eins, oder sagen Sie Sprachnachricht. (to leave a voicemail, press one, or say voicemail)

4) Um mit der Telefonzentrale verbunden zu werden, drücken Sie bitte die Zwei, oder sagen Sie Telefonzentrale. (To be connected to the switchboard, press 2, or say switchboard)

6) Vielen Dank für Ihren Anruf, auf Wiederhören. (Thank you for calling and welcome back)

7) Diese Option ist nicht verfügbar (That option is not valid (for when you press the wrong button))

8) Für Deutsch drücken Sie bitte die Neun, oder sagen Sie Deutsch Heil H.. (For German, press 9, or say German)

A few months ago, I called the O2 hotline. Apparently, voice recognition. When I said after three times "Mein Datensnack wurde nicht aktiviert.", the computer asked "Möchten Sie Ihren Vertrag verlängern?" No, of course not. You silly. Now, I know, you should simply say "GURU" and you get a person of flesh and blood on the line. Bloody hell.

Thank you so much for all the help franklan - really grateful for that! 

And regarding the option to change to German, that will only be played when you want German as your secondary language (so that will be played before the standard English or French message for instance).

Here are some more "free phrases" where it is not so important that it is exact or perfect, but there should be no errors or awkward wordings so if you spot something that is clearly wrong or that sounds really bad/strange – I would love to know and I would appreciate any suggestions: 

1) Unser Team ist im Moment sehr gefragt. Bitte bleiben Sie am Apparat, sie werden so schnell wie möglich mit dem nächsten freien Mitarbeiter verbunden. Danke. (All of our agents are currently busy. Please hold and we will answer your call as soon as possible.)

2) Derzeit sind leider alle unsere Mitarbeiter im Gespräch, Sie werden aber umgehend mit dem nächsten freien Ansprechpartner verbunden. Danke. (All of our agents are busy at this time. Your call is very important to us. Please stay on the line and your call will be answered in the order it was received.)

3) Derzeit sind leider alle unsere Mitarbeiter im Gespräch. Der nächste freie Ansprechpartner ist bereits für Sie reserviert, bitte haben Sie einen Moment Geduld. Vielen Dank. (Thank you for your patience. All of our agents are busy. Please continue to hold and your call will be answered in the order it was received.)

4) Unser Team ist im Moment sehr gefragt. Besuchen Sie uns in der Zwischenzeit doch schon mal auf unserer Internetseite. Sie werden mit dem nächsten freien Mitarbeiter verbunden. Danke. (All of our agents are busy. Please visit our website for useful information, or continue to hold and the next available agent will take your call.)

5) Wir freuen uns über Ihren Anruf. Bitte bleiben Sie am Apparat, Sie werden mit einem persönlichen Ansprechpartner verbunden. Danke. (Thank you for holding. Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold and the next available agent will answer your call.)

6) Alle unsere Mitarbeiter sind immer noch beschäftigt. Legen Sie bitte auf, und versuchen Sie, uns wieder den Aufruf zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt. (All of our agents are still busy. Please hang up, and try calling us again at a later time.)

LukeSkywalker, 

I laughed at your story, but I found the WW2 reference in your translation uncalled for and rude, and I would ask anyone answering here refrain from such antics, so we can have a civil exchange of knowledge for all who feel like participating.

6 minutes ago, tor said:

i changed the English...

Ah, OK tor got it - thanks!

11 minutes ago, empo said:

LukeSkywalker, 

I laughed at your story, but I found the WW2 reference in your translation uncalled for and rude, and I would ask anyone answering here refrain from such antics, so we can have a civil exchange of knowledge for all who feel like participating.

WTF are you talking about? "Flesh and blood" isn't a WW2 reference.

And for reference, this isn't an "exchange of knowledge" - the knowledge is flowing in one direction only. As the beneficiary of said flow, you might be more careful whom you criticize.

5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

WTF are you talking about? "Flesh and blood" isn't a WW2 reference.

And for reference, this isn't an "exchange of knowledge" - the knowledge is flowing in one direction only. As the beneficiary of said flow, you might be more careful whom you criticize.

Well, if you read point 8 in his/her changed quote of franklan's, maybe things will become clearer. I did not think it was nice to change franklans post in that way, maybe you disagree, but frankly, I can't say that I care. 

23 minutes ago, empo said:

Well, if you read point 8 in his/her changed quote of franklan's, maybe things will become clearer.

I admit I missed that part, but it certainly didn't deserve your holier-than-thou response. This is an English forum based in Germany. Some members can be quirky like that at times. Take it or leave it, especially if you're here just to sap the knowledge of the TT collective mind.

23 minutes ago, empo said:

I can't say that I care. 

That makes two of us.

I assume you've heard the phrase "beggars can't be choosers"? Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I didn't mean to be rude, I simply watched too many episodes of "Allo, Allo!" and couldn't resist a quirky remark.Just ignore it. The other changes are correct.

As for exchange of knowledge, I was referring to the fact that someone suggested "teilnehmer" and then someone else "anrufer" and so on. I was not implying I am teaching anyone German or anything else, that would be absurd.

You seem to excuse one member attributing a Nazi salute to another member that had nothing to do with it by changing that person's quote. And you think that is OK in a forum based in Germany. OK, well, noted. I am of a very different opinion and in a thread I started and were I was happy to hopefully have some Germans replying and feeling this was a friendly discussion, I will certainly reserve the right to point that out. 

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The other changes are correct.

They certainly are. I just didn't put too much energy in the right use of uppercase/lowercase, as they are going to be Voicerecordings... :-)