Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Marriage first in India or Germany?

11 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have a German girlfriend and want to marry her. As per the wishes of my family and her family, we have decided to marry in India as well as in Germany. Currently I'm living and working in Frankfurt.

My parents want that I should marry her (registry marriage) in India first and then go back to Germany for the marriage in Germany. Is it possible to do it like this? Or should the marriage have to take place in Germany first?

We are planning to live in India in the future.

Also this may sound a bit awkward and although I love her and we are obviously thinking of spending a life together, still there is a worry of separation and alimony. Can I avoid that by making an agreement with my wife (she has no job), that in case of separation, she should not have any claim on my assets? Or is it a rule in Germany to always provide for your wife after separation in case of marriage? 

Thank you for your answers :)

You can't get married twice, so you either get married in India or in Germany and then in the other state you have to get the marriage recognised.  Which will take time and cost some money.

This link provides more information:

http://www.india.diplo.de/Vertretung/indien/en/06__Consu__Visa/Consular__Services__India/Marriages__in__India.html

In Germany you can only get married in a Standesamt.  So this means that if you wanted to do a marriage ceremony in a church in Germany then this is still possible, as technically you are not getting married again so this is OK.

32 minutes ago, Aniket11 said:

Dear all,

I have a German girlfriend and want to marry her.

We are planning to live in India in the future.

At least on the german side you can make an Ehevertrag - you need to talk to a notar. Considering you're getting married in India and plan to live in India you also definitely need to talk to an indian lawyer.

39 minutes ago, Aniket11 said:

Also this may sound a bit awkward and although I love her and we are obviously thinking of spending a life together, still there is a worry of separation and alimony

...you want to live in India with your future German wife, thereby probably restricting her ability to have an income, and are already thinking how to avoid alimony in case of separation?...

Thank you for your answers, certainly I am willing to pay in case of separation, it's also obviously the right thing to do. It's ok we can ignore the question.

You can do the formal wedding in one country and the party in the other country, like the formal wedding at Standesamt in Germany and then the party in India. 

Thanks.

We are looking to marry legally in India then, as we will shift there for the longer term.

If my German wife however still wants to hold a ceremony in Germany, what are the options? Will a church agree to marry us or hold a ceremony if we don't get previously married at a Standesamt here? I am not Christian but she is. Are there any options for wedding ceremonies for us in Germany? Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, Aniket11 said:

Thanks.

We are looking to marry legally in India then, as we will shift there for the longer term.

If my German wife however still wants to hold a ceremony in Germany, what are the options? Will a church agree to marry us or hold a ceremony if we don't get previously married at a Standesamt here? I am not Christian but she is. Are there any options for wedding ceremonies for us in Germany? Any ideas?

The Church will probably not care where or when you got married.  My Sister in Law is having her marriage ceremony in Church this year, even though she actually got married in the standesamt about 2.5 years previously!

They will probably care more about if one of you is paying church tax to them or not (or at least has been).  Or maybe just if your partners parents have/are paying church tax that might be enough.

But to know any of this you would have to talk to the church where you intend to have the ceremony.  It is effectively the decision of the local minister, who will probably follow regional/national guidelines.  Sometimes even if they are not totally happy they will still accept it, as it does generate additional revenue for them after all.

6 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

You can't get married twice, so you either get married in India or in Germany and then in the other state you have to get the marriage recognised.  Which will take time and cost some money.

Doch, you can, if it is the same couple. I know a couple of couples who married in Germany and then married in Ukraine. They did it not to fool anybody, but to simplify the bureaucracy: getting married is way easier than getting marriage recognized in Ukraine.

German marriage laws are anal for foreigners, many go and get married in Copenhagen to get marriage recognized in Germany.

Since you're thinking about marriage contract and will contact a lawyer anyway, you should contact a lawyer, maybe with Indian heritage, to advice you on the matter. It's really hard to say what is better without knowing both German and Indian law.

I can only assume the Indian ones are not anal, your wife will not be required to bring a ton of papers that she is not married in Germany. From that point of view there are two options:

1. Get married in Germany, then get married in India. Marriage in Germany optionally recognized via Denmark.

2. Get married in India, recognize this marriage in Germany. No Copenhagen needed.

A colleague of mine, an Indian got married to a German couple of years back. In his case, they got their official marriage in Copenhagen first, got it recognized, then had church weddings in India and Germany for Family and Friends on either side.

They got divorced a little over a year after, and he had spend quite some money out his(she was low earner) pocket on the marriage and their apartment, didn't have a Pre-Nup. When it came to the divorce, they settled amicably, agreeing to not for his assets, on condition that he would got after the money he invested. He was already quite depressed with the whole thing that he wanted the ordeal to end quickly, and didn't push strongly with a lawyer. She agreed to forego of the alimony, which could legally be entitled to, irrespective of the reasons for the divorce, which in this case was the affair/cheating on her side.

I would suggest getting a Pre-nup written, Love may or may not last, mindsets can change too, but contracts are to stay. And would help avoid unnecessary discussions and worries at a time when either of you may not be personally strong to take up. 

Wish you good luck with your marriage.

Since you both are here now, get your marriage registered here. You can later have a traditional wedding in India (by that I mean a Hindu wedding, assuming you are a Hindu). And you can invite the registrar to your Hindu wedding in India. Keep the forms and photographs, photocopies of your passport, wedding card, address proof, Aadhar card etc. Choose the witnesses from the invitees among dozens of your relatives and friends. That makes the registration in India also easier.

Yourkeau: 

I can only assume the Indian ones are not anal, your wife

???

3 minutes ago, seeking said:

Since you both are here now, get your marriage registered here. You can later have a traditional wedding in India (by that I mean a Hindu wedding, assuming you are a Hindu). And you can invite the registrar to your Hindu wedding in India. Keep the forms and photographs, photocopies of your passport, wedding card, address proof, Aadhar card etc. Choose the witnesses from the invitees among dozens of your relatives and friends. That makes the registration in India also easier.

Yourkeau: 

???

Read this (German married Ukrainian lady):

https://adblockplus.org/blog/why-you-should-not-get-married-in-germany

I assumed Indian law is way simpler, which you confirmed in your post.