Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

May I throw away old contract documents?

3 posts in this topic

I had a contract with Vodafone, for example. My contract is already cancelled in September 2017. Is there any reason for me to keep the contract papers? I want to throw them away because this type of official or important documents keep accumulating and I want to get rid of the ones which I do not need any more. I am worried that these documents (papers) for my canceled contracts can be required for something in the future. I hope not. :-)

In theory if all the matters relating to the contract are closed then there is no need to keep it, but sometimes you never know what might occur in the future so I always keep such documents for a while before deciding to get rid of them (actually, we probably keep them too long).  I would say 1 year after the end of the contract/last action should be the minimum.

It is also sometimes useful to have it as a reference in case you decide to go back to Vodafone, what to tell a friend about the prices/T&C you had etc.

You could always scan the documents, so if there is an issue later you at least have an electronic copy of it (including signatures etc).