Property Let in Frankfurt

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am helping a friend who has recently inherited a large property in Frankfurt.  She would like to rent it out to expats who are/have relocated to Frankfurt.  Either rent out the property as a whole unit, or rent out the rooms.  Being new to Germany I am not familiar on the property letting situation.  I understand that the letting situation has an inclination towards the tenant, more so than the landlord.  Is there anything mandatory that needs to be accomplished in order to rent property?

My friend would like to go through a relocation agency or reputable property rental management organisation.  Can anyone recommend an agency?  Failing to find a suitable company to manage the property, the only other option is to rent out the property herself.  So what are the mandatory 'must do's' over here in Hessen?

Your guidance is appreciated.

Juliana

On 22/04/2018, 22:48:53, DELOCIG said:

Can anyone recommend an agency?  Failing to find a suitable company to manage the property, the only other option is to rent out the property herself.  So what are the mandatory 'must do's' over here in Hessen?

I use HomeCompany for exactly the same purpose as your friend's and I am quite happy with them. They are not cheap, but they do a very good job.

The rental laws are complex. It's a broad subject to cover, but having an agent helps, as you can always ask them questions. To get a general idea read this short guide: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B7MVBXR/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It's not comprehensive and it's aimed at tenants rather than landlords, but that really doesn't matter: it gives you a good understand of how things work in Germany.

I let my whole flat completely furnished to expats, including everything (cutlery, bed linens, towels...) and all the utilities so for them it's just bringing in a suitcase and they are settled. I even keep books and DVDs in the flat. There are lots of newcomers in Frankfurt so pretty any property can be let easily.

Thank you very much Smaug.  This is most helpful. I shall pass on the HomeCompany information.  The inclusive rental that you stated is the idea for the property use.  Not knowing the marketplace for the Frankfurt region, recommendations are always food for thought.  Thank you again.