Working permit Visa before end of PhD

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I have at the moment a visa for my PhD valid until 30.06.2018 (§20 ABS. 1), but my defense will be in the end of July or middle of August.
This week I have received a job offer (full-time) and I would like to change my present visa to a working permit Visa in

order to start working and also wait for my defense.

Is it possible? Does somebody know which documents are necessary for that?

Thanks a lot for the help and attention. 

ps: Maybe it is important to say that the PhD is in Physics and the job title is Software developer. 

A friend was in a similar situation He was asked to submit his certificate to the immigration office before he can apply for the work permit. So he had to wait until after his defense. But yours could be different. Just go to your immigration office and inquire...all the best

I had been in the same situation, PhD in Mechanical Engineering, and job as Software Engineer.

I had a job offer before I could complete my PhD, and my student visa was not yet expired.

I went to visa office for changing the visa type, so that I can start working full time.

The visa officer asked me:

1. to bring ex-matriculation certificate from university that I am not a student anymore (i.e. quit university)

2. bring the document containing the job description from employer 

3. apply for the §18 visa, and wait until Vorrangprüfung is completed by Agentur für Arbeit. 

I have MSc degree also from German university, and in this case Vorrangprüfung was not necessary, but the visa officer was not convinced (better to say: incompetent), and he sent the application for Vorrangprüfung which took exactly 3 months, and during that time I was working  with the company.

You should go for the blue card instead.

Unless your academic path is very unusual, you already have the 4-year academic degree that is recognized by Germany. Unless you are an extremely bad negotiator, your salary should be enough for the BK requirements. With those documents that the issuance is automatic and normally takes about 20 minutes. 

And yes, one of the main points of the Blue Card is that the Vorrangprüfung will not be necessary, at least if you get more than approximately 50k. 

On 5/21/2018, 12:19:56, ilyann said:

And yes, one of the main points of the Blue Card is that the Vorrangprüfung will not be necessary, at least if you get more than approximately 50k. 

It was actually necessary =/ even being Blue card. It seems that the process is not so uniform and more person-dependent (as every bureaucracy). 

SOLVED:

As I always expect, I like to see final answers to questions I look for in the Internet. At first I would suggest you to look the answers for my question, they helped me a lot. Finally I needed, the bachelor diplom translated to german, the form of the blue card filled, the working contract, a form written by the employer which describes what work will be done and a photo.

I went to the KVR on a Tuesday and in this day I could not solve much because It was necessary a permission from the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/privatpersonen). This permission was requested on Tuesday and I received an answer on Thursday evening. Friday I went back with these documents again and could finally receive the Bluecard.

An important tip: check if your institution is in the Anabin database (https://www.arbeitsagentur.de/privatpersonen). If it is not, it means that Germany does not know this institution and you will need to do some additional bureaucracy. For further questions, ask here and I will answer asap. =)

On 5/15/2018, 4:53:07, mubeen said:

I had been in the same situation, PhD in Mechanical Engineering, and job as Software Engineer.

I had a job offer before I could complete my PhD, and my student visa was not yet expired.

I went to visa office for changing the visa type, so that I can start working full time.

The visa officer asked me:

1. to bring ex-matriculation certificate from university that I am not a student anymore (i.e. quit university)

2. bring the document containing the job description from employer 

3. apply for the §18 visa, and wait until Vorrangprüfung is completed by Agentur für Arbeit. 

I have MSc degree also from German university, and in this case Vorrangprüfung was not necessary, but the visa officer was not convinced (better to say: incompetent), and he sent the application for Vorrangprüfung which took exactly 3 months, and during that time I was working  with the company.

Sorry to hear that they needed so much time =/ and yes it was pure incompetence. 

I actually tried to say that a Vorrangprüfung was not necessary for Mangelberuf and heard a loud 
"there is no Mangelberuf" as answer. Fortunately in my case it was solved everything very fast. The answer came fast from the Arbetsagentur and I luckily spoke with a different person when I went back to try to get the Blue card.  

Thanks a lot for you answer in any case =) 

On 5/29/2018, 10:51:10, luuizpaulo said:

SOLVED:

As I always expect, I like to see final answers to questions I look for in the Internet. At first I would suggest you to look the answers for my question, they helped me a lot. Finally I needed, the bachelor diplom translated to german, the form of the blue card filled, the working contract, a form written by the employer which describes what work will be done and a photo.

So, you are saying that when you applied for the blue card, they did not ask you about the current state of your PhD or whether your next job would be related to your PhD or not?

Also, does it mean that you lose your student-based residence permit card and obtain a blue card instate? But you are still considered as a student at the University? right?

On 10/05/2019, 14:10:50, stephan_fam said:

So, you are saying that when you applied for the blue card, they did not ask you about the current state of your PhD or whether your next job would be related to your PhD or not?

Also, does it mean that you lose your student-based residence permit card and obtain a blue card instate? But you are still considered as a student at the University? right?

1. If your PHD is not 100% done, it does not matter at all for any visa procedure. They do not consider that because if it is not completed, there is always the risk that you will never finish it, right? 

2. Yes in the German Bureaucracy you are then not considered a student anymore, but for the University it remains all the same. =) 

I hope it helps you! In any case, I make myself available for eventual further questions. 

Thank you luuizpauloI might be movings towards a similar situation in the future and this discussion is very helpful.

I did not understand your comment that "for University it remains all the same". If the Auslanderbehorde demands Exmatriculation from the University as was the case with mubeen then, how do things remain the all the same with the University?

Best,

Amit

Right now I have a 16.1 for the masters and I have graduated from the program. I also have enrolled for the Phd at another university. I am chasing a few job positions but nothing is certain. I have to decide which permit should apply for. My Uni tells me that if I apply for 16.1 again, then I can only change it to employment after I complete my Phd.