Integration courses exemption/relaxation

7 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am a Blue card holder, and therefore I was not required to attend any German courses. However I am doing it in my own rhythm (no pressure). 

My wife, who is as qualified as myself (same engineering diploma, same experience abroad) just joined me and she will start looking for a job once our kid is a little bit grown up (our kid is still 1 month old).

When she received her Residence permit, she also received an obligation paper for integration course attendance. She was required to proof that she will start theses courses.

The Auslanderbehorde officier was not aware that my wife is a potential skilled worker. Can they exempt her from these courses if she will show her diplomas? Is there any legal statement about this?

In case they refuse the exemption, is there a way to help her with child care during the courses...It would be challenging to attend a course with a kid of a couple of months!

Thank you.

Hi MarGermany,

Were you able to find out any further information regarding the above?

Thanks,
Jenn

Like most things to do with the Ausländerbehörde there is the discretion of the case officer regarding what is required of you, but being a 'potentially skilled migrant' is probably not sufficient. I was told by the childcare at my local Volkshochschule that they only take children over one year of age (not that the VHS itself was aware of this requirement) so that might be a possible extension to the time for when you have to complete the integration course.

As evidence of some flexibility around the participation requirement: I previously received a letter asking why I hadn't done the integration course. I called the ABH and we discussed (in German) whether it was necessary. Since my German was at that time ok (B2) they told me not to worry about it. I don't know if that was ever recorded in my file so perhaps it will come back  to bite me. Fingers crossed!  

> Can they exempt her from these courses if she will show her diplomas?

Yes

> Is there any legal statement about this?

It might help you to search for the rules of your Ausländerbehörde (something like Verfahrenshinweise Ausländerbehörde Sachsen), the case officers will be expected to mostly follow them.

In Berlin I think most spouses of BC holders are exempted, especially if the BC holder speaks German.

Just appearing for Leben in Deutschland (LiD) Test without taking part in the 100 hours long Integration Course should suffice, right?

7 hours ago, honigbiene said:

Just appearing for Leben in Deutschland (LiD) Test without taking part in the 100 hours long Integration Course should suffice, right?

In the case of people who are obligated to attend an Integrationskurs usually not.

The 'Leben in Deutschland Test' is only the test for one part, (Orientierungskurs), of the complete Integrationskurs which is ~ 660 hours in total IIRC.

In obligatory cases the participant is benefitting from a 50% publicly subsidized course fee, albeit having to contribute 1,95€ per hour they may also receive a 50% refund of that on sucessful completion.*

That is a considerable financial advantage compared to what it would cost voluntary participants.

In the first few years after the introduction of the integration courses there were so many cases of reluctant foreigners skipping the classes that it became a political scandal so the law was changed to provide a more effective degree of compulsion by means of financial sanction.

Consequently it was linked to the law governing public funding thus requiring that those who do not participate in a fully cooperative manner (attendance records are checked as well as course part results) be liable to repayment of the full cost of the course booked.

In practise I suppose it may also depend on who is paying for the course or test as to whether the ABH will insist on verifying their participation record and, if the ABH do not, how much leeway the course director or teachers may be willing to allow, but I wouldn't take a bet on such speculative suppositions being reliable.

*The integration courses didn't even exist until 20 years after I got here, but wish I could get a deal like that now.

Many of the obligated seem to be frustrated by the time investment factor while others who might willingly make sacrifices to find a way of making time are frustrated by the cost factor.

So ist das Leben   ---   in Deutschland! :huh::lol:

2B