Jobs for new arrivals in Germany

12 posts in this topic

HI all, 

i just moved before 6 months to deutscheland with my family. We moved from Dubai as my wife was getting a job offer. 

I have 9 years of IT experience as a systems administrator from Dubai. Ive recently enrolled in the deutsche Kurse and learning slowly. My luck in finding a job has not been so good since i landed here. everywhere i send in my resume they want deutsche speaking skills till b1 or c level. 

I have registered with the job Centre in Norderstedt as i live there and hope they can help with something. It’s getting a bit frustrating as only language is the barrier in getting a job here. I tried so many companies but all of them ask for deutsche and no one cares whether you know English or not. I even visited Lufthansa industry solutions personally and spoke to the main recruiter who told me that alterst c1 level is required. 

This sounds a bit difficult to digest. Imagine a person learning German and waiting till c1 level arrives - it takes alterst a year for a person to learn German upto b1 level. 

Is the person suppose to stay unemployed this long...

at present I’m ready to do any job as its becoming too frustrating to be jobless for that long. I never knew that due to the language i would face so much of rejection. 

Appreciate your inputs and help if possible where i can apply to for English jobs if there do exist any.

i tried stepsone and othe portals. They have English speaking jobs but pre-requisite is that the candidate should know German ± Good English

i‘m sure inputs from people on board will help me. 

-thads

58 minutes ago, tfernandes said:

Appreciate your inputs and help if possible where i can apply to for English jobs if there do exist any.

What about these two:

https://de.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=cabf82445279b5a4&tk=1cbgs61nl9mcia5f&from=serp&vjs=3

https://de.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=25c422485c940402&q=c%2B%2B+english&l=hamburg&tk=1cbgs61nl9mcia5f&from=web&vjs=3

I would just look for job listings that are posted in English and apply to the jobs even if German language skills are requiered.

If the rest of your profile convinces them they might still take you.

1 hour ago, tfernandes said:

I even visited Lufthansa industry solutions personally and spoke to the main recruiter who told me that alterst c1 level is required. 

This sounds a bit difficult to digest. Imagine a person learning German and waiting till c1 level arrives - it takes alterst a year for a person to learn German upto b1 level. 

Is the person suppose to stay unemployed this long...

I guess you are expected to learn German before moving to Germany.

Software engineers are the luckiest for finding English speaking jobs in Germany. I am a mechanical engineer, and it is far more difficult for me to find an English speaking job, especially in the north of Germany.

If one is not working, and does not have so many things to deal with in life, I believe it should be possible to get to B1 level in 3-4 months. Of course B1 would not help on a professional level, but it is a threshold (I will also soon take the exam).

Imagine a person learning German and waiting till c1 level arrives - it takes alterst a year for a person to learn German upto b1 level. 

It is possible to reach C1 level in one year. However, you do have to work full time on this. In these intensive courses you'd usually have 20 hours a week, which would also mean that it would not look like a gap in your CV. 

I have registered with the job Centre in Norderstedt as i live there and hope they can help with something.

The JobCenter is the (misnamed) welfare office and it is highly unlikely that they'll be able to help you find a skilled position.

It’s getting a bit frustrating as only language is the barrier in getting a job here. I tried so many companies but all of them ask for deutsche and no one cares whether you know English or not.

You should also consider that if there are enough foreign applicants who can't even speak German, preference will sometimes to be given to those who are at least English native speakers.

I even visited Lufthansa industry solutions personally and spoke to the main recruiter who told me that alterst c1 level is required. 

It is possible to reach C1 within a year, however, it requires hard work and discipline.

I suggest also looking for smaller companies that have an international focus from Germany, and not just big companies.

Often you might find for example that a big international company has a German office, but this office is focused only on customers in the DACH region (Deutschland, Austria, Switzerland) so requires Germany speaking people.

Where as a smaller company might have some international customers and hence require English speaking people. 

That was the case for me when I joined my currently company (or though we were since taken over by another), and in my previous company in Germany we dealt with the IT systems for 16 other European countries, so again everything had to be done in English.  Both were small -> medium sized companies.

Do you have any qualifications ?

You need bits of paper that say you can do what you say you can do.

i just messaged you on an opening that i was aware of .

Please check your inbox.