Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dermatologist said removal of two infected hair follicles only an esthetic procedure

6 posts in this topic

Hello dear TTers,

Last week I had an appointment at a Dermatologist's here in Munich. The appointment was arranged, at my own request, by my insurance (TK).

I wanted two moles in my waist (belt) area, scared by the fact that they started as really small dots and expanded significantly over time, now causing me discomfort because sometimes they get irritated (but not inflammed) by the pressure, sitting for 8h a day, etc. On some ocassions I even managed to injure on of them so a bit of blood appeared.

Long story short: the conversation went something like this:

D: Oh, that's harmless, it's folliculitis.

Me: Well, OK, but I want them removed, they keep growing.

D: That's fine, we can do that but your Insurance won't cover it

Me: Why not?

D: Because it's considered an esthetic procedure.

Me: Well, I don't mind having those on my body if they didn't create me discomfort and a slight pain sometimes.

D: No, you will have to pay out of your pocket 50 e a piece.

I just called TK and explained to them. They said they act upon the doctor's decision, which is understandable. I asked am I allowed to seek for a second opinion, and if the other doctor says the removal is needed - will they then cover it. She said: yes, in that case, we will cover it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, does not have to be skin related?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, java10 said:

Hello dear TTers,

Last week I had an appointment at a Dermatologist's here in Munich. The appointment was arranged, at my own request, by my insurance (TK).

I wanted two moles in my waist (belt) area, scared by the fact that they started as really small dots and expanded significantly over time, now causing me discomfort because sometimes they get irritated (but not inflammed) by the pressure, sitting for 8h a day, etc. On some ocassions I even managed to injure on of them so a bit of blood appeared.

Long story short: the conversation went something like this:

D: Oh, that's harmless, it's folliculitis.

Me: Well, OK, but I want them removed, they keep growing.

D: That's fine, we can do that but your Insurance won't cover it

Me: Why not?

D: Because it's considered an esthetic procedure.

Me: Well, I don't mind having those on my body if they didn't create me discomfort and a slight pain sometimes.

D: No, you will have to pay out of your pocket 50 e a piece.

I just called TK and explained to them. They said they act upon the doctor's decision, which is understandable. I asked am I allowed to seek for a second opinion, and if the other doctor says the removal is needed - will they then cover it. She said: yes, in that case, we will cover it.

Has anyone had a similar experience, does not have to be skin related?

Thanks!

As they have not been diagnosed as skin cancer( basal, squamous or melanoma), this may be why they are classified as aesthetic/ cosmetic.

Go for 2nd opinion, say they bleed, cause discomfort and you are concerned about skin cancer.

I thought folliculitis is a hair follicle infection often aggravated by sweating and too tight clothing?    So they are not "moles"?