Considering move from Dusseldorf to Cologne - looking for tips

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have lived 5 years in Düsseldorf and I am considering a possible move to Cologne. I am planning some "exploratory trips".

So that I have some places to start from, I would like to know what would be the Cologne equivalents of:

- Bilk, a lively neighbourhood with a mix of students and professionals, alternative bars and cafes

- Derendorf, a slightly upper scale neighbourhood - for lack of better words, "where the secretaries who live in Bilk go to find a rich(er) husband"

And for some landmarks:

- Kunstpalast, a classical art museum

- the conservatory where you can listen to classical music students rehearsing

- Ellington, a little cocktail bar where you can have amazing conversations

- Chrystall, an alternative cafe where you can meet all sorts of interesting people (vs Starbucks where people stare at laptops)

And for the negative comparisons:

- the horrible Bolkerstrasse, full of weekenders, broken glass, drunken hooligans, police and tourists

- Oberkassel - stiff upper lip upper-class neighbourhood

- any place full of tourists or weekenders

Thanks!

Bilk = CGN uni area (NOT near Ehrenfeld/Barbarossaplatz though)

Derendorf = parts of Friesenplatz / Mediapark / Appellhofplatz / Mauritiuskirche.

I think I've said it before - anywhere near a church in cologne, or a city gate, is not usually a dump.

The main concrete jungles are Barbarossaplatz and Ebertplatz.

Further in the burbs near Uni liniken is quite nice and trendy.

Ostheim is very villagey, and a good distance further out.

Along the river Rhein near chocolate factory is also quite nice - that takes you riiight out into the nicer leafier areas.

Avoid most of Kalk.

The other side of the Rhein near Deutz has really taken off over recent years. I had a friend who was considering buying there a couple of years ago.

Wherever you search - expect aggressive competition. And pick up the newspapers. Landlords often won't advertise online but in papers, thinking they will get more german applicants that way.

Yeah, I'd disagree with the previous poster in the areas below...

- Bilk, a lively neighbourhood with a mix of students and professionals, alternative bars and cafes

- Derendorf, a slightly upper scale neighbourhood - for lack of better words, "where the secretaries who live in Bilk go to find a rich(er) husband"

Bilk - Ehrenfeld and the surroundings should be the closest match I would say. Also some Uni areas close to Dürener Strasse and so on

Derendorf - Lindenthal mainly, also some areas of Sülz. Anything around the Stadtwald should fulfill this. 

I mainly know lgbt places along ehrenstrasse/rudolfplatz/schaafenstr.

So not sure if thats interesting.

Deutz and environs has a few ok places.

There was a place called BP (after the garage) that used to be quite "happening". The thing with a lot of the trendy places is they are already so cramped WITHOUT adding people to the mix. 

Jonny Turista is nice for the people - again - cramped.

Im guessing when theyve finished rebuilding the crater in Rudolfplatz, there'll be another club/bars to replace the one they knocked down.

Ring is traditionally tourist strip. Heumarkt/Altstadt similarly so, but a bit tamer.

Well I was looking for something Woyton for example. What's nice about Woyton in Dusseldorf is that there are practically no hipsters, only regular, down-to-earth, affable people, but I understand that Woyton in other cities can be hijacked by hipsters, corporate drones etc.