Got fired for restructuring reasons, founded a startup. Can I get any public support as unemployed?

6 posts in this topic

Helo, 

I got fired by a big corporation which is going under restructuring. In the meanwhile, I have founded a startup and I am trying to make it work. What are the options and requirements to get unemployment benefits for starting a company?

Do I have to be legally unemployed first exploit any option or is it ok to have founded the company right before having been fired?

I am not looking into advice on startup funding from VC, accelerators and the like. Just unemployment related benefits for starting a company or for myself as a person. 

Thanks community  

You're not unemployed, but self-employed.  Part of being self-employed is to have a business plan, regardless if you presented it to a bank for a loan, which includes your expected income.

You own a company and want Germany to pay you unemployment benefits?   :huh:

I can't help but wonder, based upon your question if you have even registered your company?  Have you registered with the IHK, HWK, or BG?  Have you spoken with a lawyer or tax advisor?  Something tells me you'd say no to all of these.

Just make sure you have enough money behind you to support you for at least 6 months,

Just in case,

Just saying.

42 minutes ago, eykiriku said:

Helo, 

I got fired by a big corporation which is going under restructuring. In the meanwhile, I have founded a startup and I am trying to make it work.

Under certain circumstances the Arbeitsamt supports startups with "Gründungszuschuss" – but that's too late for you because you already founded the company. The Arbeitsamt doesn't support running companies. 

Since you don't say what nationality you are: Does your visa allow self employed work at all?

Thanks someonesdaughter. I am an EU national. Without this startup (which is just an expense at the moment) I'd be unemployed but understood that legally it doesn't matter then.