Artist/ Classical Music Scene in Frankfurt?

6 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of moving from the US to Germany to pursue a career as a singer and although I know that auditions are everywhere, and I could up anywhere, I've been trying to make a decision about where to base myself for the beginning of my Journey: Frankfurt am Main or Berlin. I know that Berlin has more going on in terms of arts and culture, but I've been able to find very little information about the "scene" in Frankfurt and the surrounding region. Could anyone shed more light on what the cultural - particularly "indie" culture scene is like? My thanks - 

If you or someone you know reads German, try the indiepedia.de: https://www.indiepedia.de/index.php/Frankfurt_am_Main which looks pretty comprensive, but you may need to double check some info to make sure it's current (e.g. if a club has closed, a band still is together, etc.) 

Berlin: https://www.indiepedia.de/index.php?title=Berlin

I have no clue about Indie scenes personally, just passing on this info to try and help you out!

2 hours ago, Bellatrixed said:

I'm in the process of moving from the US to Germany to pursue a career as a singer and although I know that auditions are everywhere,

Just curious, what type of singer? Opera?

Yes, I'm an opera singer - and they don't really do my rep here in the states, so it's off to Europe where they DO do my repertoire. I know it won't be easier there, but I do believe my chances of successfully getting paid to sing will be greater. 

I'm all for people following their dreams, but I feel the need to say a few things:

first of all, please make sure you've got your health insurance sorted out.

I rarely!!!! hear an American singer who can immediately fit into the styles and expectations (purely talking about sound here) of what the Germans are looking for in operatic voices. Maybe you will get lucky...? but expect to not have any work for a while (and plan on having the appropriate savings to live off of). 

I can't speak for Frankfurt. There are several smaller self-made companies here in Berlin, and the cost of living is (was??) cheaper but you'll have to compete with a million other singers who are also willing to do anything to get work.

someone recently told me the median income of classical musicians in Germany is 14,000 euros per year. I can imagine that it's even harder in the states, but it's certainly not a walk in the park over here. Few of my graduated students (Masters) are actually singing full-time. I wish you a lot of luck! :)