Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Elterngeld calculation and childcare costs

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Elterngeld calculation is based on your net income after childcare costs are deducted or on your net income before childcare costs are deducted (assuming you can deduct childcare costs on your taxes?) ?

So for example, if I earn 1000 a month netto, but pay 500 per month in childcare. Then is my Elterngeld amount 67% of 500 or 67% of 1000?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, MLmunich said:

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Elterngeld calculation is based on your net income after childcare costs are deducted or on your net income before childcare costs are deducted 

Neither nor. The Elterngeld calculation is based on your gross income!

And btw there's a whole thread dedicated to Elterngeld with loads of good advice:

On 12.3.2016, 19:56:24, kato said:

The Elterngeld calculation will take your gross income and deduct income tax, solidarity tax, church tax, all mandatory insurance payments and €83.33 Werbungskostenpauschalein order to arrive at a standardized net income. The net income on your payslip does not matter in this regard.

See http://www.familien-wegweiser.de/wegweiser/Service/fragen-und-antworten.html?frage=162804

Is it correct that my Steuerklasse (tax class) will affect my Elterngeld calculation? 

Is it possible to change my Steuerklasse from 5 to 3? If so, when and how?

I'm considering this if we decide to have a second child. So if I understand correctly, as long as the switch happens before the pregnancy it's ok?

6 minutes ago, MLmunich said:

I'm considering this if we decide to have a second child. So if I understand correctly, as long as the switch happens before the pregnancy it's ok?

Quoting Panda: "you have to apply for the tax class change at least 7 months before the start of your Mutterschutz. 

Since the apoplication is only valid from the next month, this then means that you need to have 6 months in the new tax class before you enter Mutterschutz. Mutterschutz starts 6 weeks before your calculated birth date.

So you would need to know 8.5 months (= 7 months + 6 weeks) before the birth that you are pregnant in order to fulfill these deadlines"