Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Best Celebrity Chef of all time?

16 posts in this topic

Right then,

According to the Heil:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5613939/JAN-MOIR-decides-middle-aged-TV-chef-biggest-tart.html

The celeb chefs are very bad boys. Notwithstanding their post kitchen exploits, who do we here reckon is the best chef of all time? Mine is Jamie of course (I own five of his cookbooks), followed by Gordon Ramsay (like him, I do yell at interlopers when I'm prepping something awesome in my kitchen). Third would be Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall of River Cottage.

Stateside my fave guy is a writer Michael Ruhlman. His tiny book "Ratio" is a game changer if you wish to understand baking. last but not least is the genius Ferran Adria of El Bulli (I will be back down in the Costa Brava again in six weeks). Visiting the bay of El Bulli near Roses is a memorable trip.

So who else is there? Off we go...

I do a mean baked beans on toast, Jeremy, mainly without the toast, jeremy, cos the bread on Crete is shittily unhealthy..mind you, I´m not famous!!! Apart from that, I´m the best chef of all time. Our dogs and cats get fed regularly together with their medication and not ONE of them has mentioned some Gordon bloke or some or some Jamie bloke or  Hugh bloke  or some Michael bloke. Mind you , most of our dogs and cats don´t watch much telly  these days..they don´t like the constant ad breaks...don´t blame ´em.

John - nowt wrong with beans on toast mate. Although I push the boat out a few times a week (DIY Kentucky Fried Chicken, or a decent chili (from Jamie's "Ministry of Food" book) I also grabbed a tin of beans from Pennymarkt to enjoy with my son at lunch time. 

Funny about bread in Germany which I love now. When I first came to DE 16 years ago my father in law would specially buy me that hideous "Toastbrot" in a plastic bag as the thought that's all I could eat here (I adore German semmel!)

Keith Floyd, super entertaining! Shame he's gone now. Don't like the presenting style of Rick Stein so much, but his food looks pretty tasty.

5 minutes ago, Wasteland said:

Keith Floyd, super entertaining! Shame he's gone now. Don't like the presenting style of Rick Stein so much, but his food looks pretty tasty.

Oh God I forgot Keith. A mate of mine had tickets to be in the audience to see him interviewed at BB TV Centre by that son of Tony Hancock guy. So I got to see him in the flesh. A fascinating guy. James Martin did a take of his on France a while back.

Rachel Khoo.  The dishes she prepares in her tiny Paris kitchen look fantastic.

Tough question ... For the Indian / veggie side, I'd have to go with Madhur Jaffrey Curry Nation .  Being American, I'd definitely second Rhulman - both for Charcuterie and Ratio.

20 minutes ago, JG52 said:

Rachel Khoo.  The dishes she prepares in her tiny Paris kitchen look fantastic.

Hmmmm yeah I've heard of her. Am I allowed to say the scenery looks great in the Youtube clip?

12 minutes ago, chooyo said:

Tough question ... For the Indian / veggie side, I'd have to go with Madhur Jaffrey Curry Nation .  Being American, I'd definitely second Rhulman - both for Charcuterie and Ratio.

I bought a copy of her "Taste of India" in Delhi for rupees. Awesome pics and I used it a lot when I had access to Eastern ingredients every day in Saudi. Ruhlman is brilliant. I forgot to mention "Ruhlman's Twenty". He raves about Thomas Keller. Is Keller a big name in the States? Now we also bring in Michael Pollan...

44 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

He raves about Thomas Keller. Is Keller a big name in the States? Now we also bring in Michael Pollan..

Only heard of Keller in passing but most of my time in the States was in the South where it was more Paul Prudhomme or Emeril Lagasse.  I love Pollan dearly, but he's much more of a writer than a celebrity chef (although both Cooked and In Defense of Food were good reads).  If we're reaching more towards celebrity than chef, should we include Julia Child?

Never eaten any of their food, but just for their sheer existence: Keith Floyd and Nigella "ohyespleasemorechocolatespoonlicking" Lawson

Been in the Fat Duck a couple of  times so I would have to say Heston Blumenthal.. absolutely scrumptious food. He was in Berlin a few weeks ago, would be awesome if he opened something here.

55 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Been in the Fat Duck a couple of  times so I would have to say Heston Blumenthal.. absolutely scrumptious food. He was in Berlin a few weeks ago, would be awesome if he opened something here.

Heston may do great food but he is far too pretentious.

I'm not surprised you like him, LeCheese!  

:lol:

I quite like Jamie Oliver because he thinks about food for all not just what he can create that's different, prime example is his school meals campaign. Heston Blumenthal seems to like been different for difference's sake. Before leaving the UK we saw the Raymond Blanc series and he came over as a really nice down to earth sort of guy. But when it comes to food that you can actually eat, the best chef is my Mum. Ok she can be as pretentious as any celeb chef but she knows how to cook honest down to earth quality food without costing the earth.

As for Michelin stars, are they really worth it? We have a really good restaurant here in the town, service is second to none, ambience is really good, quality of food is the best we've had in the town and it regularly gets 5 stars on Tripadviser. I really hope it doesn't get awarded a Michelin Star like another restaurant in the town that has one, they are so pretentious they don't use numbers for the menu pricing but spell out the price.

On 15/04/2018, 01:13:00, chooyo said:

Only heard of Keller in passing but most of my time in the States was in the South where it was more Paul Prudhomme or Emeril Lagasse.  I love Pollan dearly, but he's much more of a writer than a celebrity chef (although both Cooked and In Defense of Food were good reads).  If we're reaching more towards celebrity than chef, should we include Julia Child?

You can dig up the original black and white Julia Child on YT which is where you learn lots. 

On 15/04/2018, 06:44:08, Gwaptiva said:

Never eaten any of their food, but just for their sheer existence: Keith Floyd and Nigella "ohyespleasemorechocolatespoonlicking" Lawson

Don't know if you've seen this but it's a brilliant mashup of Nigella talking filthy: 

Try not to have a mouthful of coffee when watching this.

23 hours ago, LeCheese said:

My method of making chips comes from him: 8 minutes at 150 then 2 minutes at 180C. I much prefer Ferran Adria tbh. Gonna make a journey (pilgrimage) to El Bulli at Roses when down there soon.