Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wahlhelfer

11 posts in this topic

Anyone on here worked as a Wahlhelfer? I am interested in signing up to be one. I am in Munich. Anyone care to share your experience?

What do you want to know?

From what I hear, it is better to volunteer to count the mail-in ballots. You receive an Aufwandsentschädigung.  If you work in the public service you can get time off on another day.  

Just now, Metall said:

Could I as a non German also be a Wahlhelfer?

No. Since we are not Wahlberechtigt, we can't be trusted to be Wahlhelfer

Sidelight: one windy day in a bigger city along the Rhine, I saw a kind of granola crucher older guy with a bike, a trailer and a bunch of Linke (Communist) Party posters. He was trying to attach the posters to poles around the marketplace but the wind was giving him a hassel. As his bike, with no kickstand even, started to topple over, I went and caught it and set it at a better angle.He got all defensive and I said, in my ok German, no problem! I guess he thought I might steal the bike and the trailer and all the posters. No, no, I offered to help him hold the poster so he could get those long plastic tie strips afixed properly. No, no! He didn't want my help. I guess I should have said, 'Comrade, can I help you here?' then he might have loosened up a bit. This was about a yr. ago when the posters were all about the Linke Party's wanting a 12 Euro Mindestlohn (minimum wage). I said to him, 'Sounds good to me! I hope we get it!' but he just remained a sour man on a mission, not open to recruiting party memebers obviously! I left him to his posters, which I later saw blowing around here and there. Point: Perhaps in Germany  you may even have to be a German citizen to even TOUCH a poster with a political slogan/agenda on it. :) I saw many people had walked all over the posters that were down on the parking lot due to stormy weather. I guess anyone can walk on them but not anyone can hang them?

On 14.4.2018, 09:48:13, engelchen said:

What do you want to know?

From what I hear, it is better to volunteer to count the mail-in ballots. You receive an Aufwandsentschädigung.  If you work in the public service you can get time off on another day.  

I am not so much interested in getting the day off or getting a payment for it. I am more interested in doing it as part of being involved more in society.

I had a look at the wahlhelfer webpage.

https://www.freistaat.bayern/dokumente/leistung/141865379507

and it was listing things like being on the committee and taking minutes etc. I´m not so keen on doing anything that complicated. So, as you mentioned, counting the ballots (as you see on TV people running back and forth with the ballot boxes and empyting and counting them etc.), or handing out the ballots etc. is definately something that is more along the lines of what I would like to be involved in, or putting up posters or setting up the polling stations, cleaning etc. 

I was also considering signing up as a sicherheitswacht with the bavarian police on a volunteer basis, but I think that could be a bit dangerous since you could get into altercations with people who you would be dealing with (vandals etc.), so I´m not so keen on that, although that is a great way to be involved with local politics and organizations.

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.polizei.bayern.de/wir/sicherheitswacht/

I would like to do something involved with politics or something with a "societal" aspect, so i was thinking wahlhelfer would be perfect. The bavarian elections are coming up in October and would check if they are still looking for wahlhelfers and if there is something that would suit me. I was just curious if there was anyone on here who has actually done something like that and wanted to hear their experience.

4 hours ago, aries6 said:

So, as you mentioned, counting the ballots (as you see on TV people running back and forth with the ballot boxes and empyting and counting them etc.), or handing out the ballots etc.

That would only be for the day of the election.

is definately something that is more along the lines of what I would like to be involved in, or putting up posters etc. 

The posters are put up by the parties. Are you interested in joining a political party?

I would like to do something involved with politics or something with a "societal" aspect, so i was thinking wahlhelfer would be perfect. The bavarian elections are coming up in October and would check if they are still looking for wahlhelfers and if there is something that would suit me.

In Berlin we have the Bezirksverordnetenversammlung. Munich has the Bezirksausschüsse, which seem to be similar:

https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtpolitik/Bezirksausschuesse.html

On 15.4.2018, 19:52:04, engelchen said:

That would only be for the day of the election.

The posters are put up by the parties. Are you interested in joining a political party?

In Berlin we have the Bezirksverordnetenversammlung. Munich has the Bezirksausschüsse, which seem to be similar:

https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/Stadtpolitik/Bezirksausschuesse.html

No, not so interested in joining a political party (if I would it would be the CSU as that party reflects my views more or less). Helping with counting the ballots and basically helping with the set up on the day of the election is more the kind of thing I would be interested in.