Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Adding Stripe Payment Processor to a Website

14 posts in this topic

Background: wrote a book on German real estate that I'm planning to sell from my website rather than Amazon. So now the website is (mostly built) FB and google SEO stuff all set to go. For the shopping cart I decided to use Sendowl as they handle the VAT. Before I launch I need to add a payment processor. Paypal is added no issue but I'd prefer to have a "enter your credit information here" option as well. And this is where I've run into a bit of an issue. To do that I need to create a Stripe account, but I've run into a bit of a problem with the business name. 

couple of questions

Is the Registernummer my Freelance Number?

Amtsgericht: it doesn't list where I live

thanks

screenshot-dashboard.stripe.com-2018.04.13-14-39-43.png

Good question. I'm never asked that when shopping online with a credit card - just the billing address, card #, expiry and security # on the back of the card.

This is the form I have to fill out in order to create account with them. It looks like I need to be registered as a business. That's what I'm trying to figure out, can I register as a private person or not. I think paypal business account is the same.

Surprised no one understands this, seen loads of threads about online businesses and taking payments is a large part of it. 

15 hours ago, catjones said:

Can't answer your questions, but why do you need someone's birthday?

I'm assuming that is to identify you. It looks like the top part is for the business and the bottom part is for identification.

8 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Surprised no one understands this, seen loads of threads about online businesses and taking payments is a large part of it. 

I'm assuming that is to identify you. It looks like the top part is for the business and the bottom part is for identification.

When matched to what?  Your birth date is not an identifier.

Registernummer is the business registration number of a company from the Handels Register Büro (HRB), the German equivalent of Companies House. There are a number of these HRBs/Amtsgerichte, one in each state or big city.

But if you're a freelancer, I'm afraid don't know whether or how these are registered.

On 4/15/2018, 11:04:47, arsenal21 said:

Registernummer is the business registration number of a company from the Handels Register Büro (HRB), the German equivalent of Companies House. There are a number of these HRBs/Amtsgerichte, one in each state or big city.

But if you're a freelancer, I'm afraid don't know whether or how these are registered.

Thanks that's what I figured, I'm laid up at the moment but when I get home I'm going to check and see what paperwork came with my freelance registration. My feeling is that I need to be registered as Gewerbe in order to be eligable. BTW I think this also applies to Paypal Business and an Amazon Business account. I'll update as I get more information.

I noticed also that there are quite a few threads here about setting up an online business, so I figured that this subject would be covered but, oddly all of them have been started by people who joined asked about this and then never posted again.

Just now, fraufruit said:

Gute Besserung!

Thanks, I'm in the hospital for elective surgery, I'm here all week hospital food yeah. Before I went in I blew the budget and bought a new laptop that I could take with me so I could keep on top of everything.

4 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Thanks, I'm in the hospital for elective surgery, I'm here all week hospital food yeah. Before I went in I blew the budget and bought a new laptop that I could take with me so I could keep on top of everything.

Hey, man, you take care! Don´t know what elective surgery is - something you chose? Spill it out!:P

And definitely gute Besserung, babe

Update: contacted customer service and this is what they said

As I was able to see you are a sole proprietor, therefore you would not need to fill in the fields stating your "Registernummer", "Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer" and "Amtsgericht". All the fields which have a small dot in front of them, are not required for you to be filled in

That last part wasn't made clear in the form!

For future reference if you're building an eCommerce site, Woocommerce is free Wordpress addon which you can use to build a store at no cost. It also has options to calculate and collect the VAT as well.