Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How much of a notice I need to give my landlord when moving out?

9 posts in this topic

Dear all,

It appears I need to leave Munich and move to another city in Germany and I am wondering how much of a time notice I need to give my landlord when moving out? My contract doesn't seem to mention anything about this. 

I am willing to help my landlord find another tenant for the apartment. It is located in Munich, so it wouldn't be a problem to find someone else right away.

Thank you

cherry

How long have you lived there? Your landlord might raise the rent when you move out and not mind.

If it isn't in your contract, your landlord should work with you on a compromise. Do you two have a good relationship?

The standard on an apartment is 3 months to the end of the month so if you give notice before the end of this month, you are free to leave at the end of July.  However, as fraufruit said, your landlord may not care.  I don't suppose he will have a problem finding new tenants in Munich and maybe he can even charge more than he's charging you.  You should talk to him.  

Thank you for the replies. We have lived here for 2 years now. We have a pretty good relationship, in the sense that I always pay the rent and he never bothers me. In the past when I did write him, his replies were nice. 

I messaged him and asked him what the deal was.In case he says I need to give him a 3 month notice, what are my choices? Can I sublet the apartment for 3 months and move before? The thing is, I am moving to Nurenberg, or want to at least, so paying 3 more months is not an option for us. 

Thanks.

Ask nicely if he would agree to end it earlier if you are able to find a suitable (someone your landlord accepts) Nachmieter willing to take over before the 3 months.

2 hours ago, Cherryalessia said:

In case he says I need to give him a 3 month notice, what are my choices? Can I sublet the apartment for 3 months and move before?

As sneaker suggested, ask him nicely. And don't mention this:

2 hours ago, Cherryalessia said:

so paying 3 more months is not an option for us. 

Telling him that fulfilling your contract is not an option for you would not be very wise. 

9 hours ago, Cherryalessia said:

I messaged him and asked him what the deal was.In case he says I need to give him a 3 month notice, what are my choices? Can I sublet the apartment for 3 months and move before? The thing is, I am moving to Nurenberg, or want to at least, so paying 3 more months is not an option for us. 

Thanks.

For sure he will say you need to give him 3 months notice because that's the law. (Para 573c BGB). Everything else, like subletting for 3 months, finding someone who takes it earlier (Nachmieter) are options if your landlord agrees with it. It is not a right for you, it all depends on the landlords agreement. So talk to your landlord, explain the situation and come to a mutually agreeable solution. Keep in mind, your landlord has every right to insist on these three months ... 

In the end everything worked out. Landlord agreed to stay flexible, as long as I find a Mieter sooner (if I do want to move out sooner).

Thanks for the replies wonderful people!