Wiesbaden, Darmstadt, Stuttgart quality of life questions..

36 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Leman said:

I wonder if I should consider living in Frankfurt and commuting to Darmstadt?  Is Frankfurt to Darmstadt a tough daily commute?

You are aware that renting in Frankfurt is actually more expensive than in Stuttgart? To check out the commuting (by train, by car it's as insane as it is in Stuttgart) use https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml (in English)

9 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

You are aware that renting in Frankfurt is actually more expensive than in Stuttgart?

I used the URL provided by dj_jay_smith and it ranked cost of housing:

https://editionf.com/Hoechsten-Mieten-Deutschlands-Ranking

1. München

2. Stuttgart

16. Darmstadt

18. Frankfurt am Main

So I thought Frankfurt would be cheaper than Stuttgart? 

Maybe this ranking only applies to buying houses..?

35 minutes ago, Leman said:

I used the URL provided by dj_jay_smith and it ranked cost of housing:

https://editionf.com/Hoechsten-Mieten-Deutschlands-Ranking

This chart ranks the 2017 overall costs of housing (based on flats of 65 sqm) – remember: that includes cheap, old contracts of long sitting tenants.

This instead shows the average prices of new contracts in the last quarter of 2017 (based on flats of 60-80 sqm and built within the last decade).

Maybe this ranking only applies to buying houses..?

Houses??? Hahaha. (sorry). No, only renting flats. 

edit, p.s.: Buying a newly built row house (!) in Frankfurt would cost you 854.000 Euro in average

The prices look about the same to me between Stuttgart and Frankfurt for a 100M apt:

Frankfurt:      1.353 Euro / mo

Stuttgart:      1.334 Euro / mo

Darmstadt:   1.161 Euro / mo

Who would notice 19 Euro difference?

Darmstadt seems a little cheaper.

But the difference in average rental price between all 3 seem negligible compared to

"having to put reward leaflets out in Stuttgart to find an apartment"

vs.

any city that has "readily available" apartment stock.  

Does anyone have a sense for whether Frankfurt or Darmstadt have rental shortages similar to the Stuttgart?

Leman: Frankfurt has 740000 inhabitants and 360000 people commute to work very morning. There are larger towns in Germany but is second when it comes to commuting.

Why not living and working in Darmstadt and got to Frankfurt for socializing?

You have to go to work everyday, but you surely won't sit in a bar every night.

However, possibly you like being stuck in traffic jams or standing in a S-Bahn every day..

Why don't you just take a plane to Frankfurt, rent a car and check the three towns out?

15 minutes ago, Leman said:

Does anyone have a sense for whether Frankfurt or Darmstadt have rental shortages similar to the Stuttgart?

Any "booming" (or economically stable) German city has housing shortages. That's why the prices are so high. And "having to put reward leaflets out in Stuttgart to find an apartment" is not so special btw, one could see that in Berlin 20 or 30 years ago already and nowadays you find them in Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Berlin, you name it. 

On the other hand I don't see why you would have difficulties to find a flat when you are prepared to spend 2k...

2 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

And "having to put reward leaflets out in Stuttgart to find an apartment" is not so special btw, one could see that in Berlin 20 or 30 years ago already and nowadays

When I read about people paying rewards to find an available apartment, It made me think it's too hard to find rentals there.  Especially since I am kind of particular about finding a nice place.  I am learning a lot and appreciate everyone writing in to help me understand the good and the bad for each area.  

2 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Why not living and working in Darmstadt and got to Frankfurt for socializing?

You have to go to work everyday, but you surely won't sit in a bar every night.

However, possibly you like being stuck in traffic jams or standing in a S-Bahn every day..

This is very good advice...   When I looked up S-Bahn service from Darmstadt to Frankfurt the trip was 25 minutes.  So I naively thought that maybe it was a quick and easy commute by S-Bahn.  And not having to drive a car to work seemed like a great idea too!  It's probably not this easy in real life as you say..  That's why I am bouncing ideas off everyone so that I can find out how it really works in real life.   Thanks for your advice.

10 hours ago, Leman said:

The prices look about the same to me between Stuttgart and Frankfurt for a 100M apt:

Frankfurt:      1.353 Euro / mo

Stuttgart:      1.334 Euro / mo

Darmstadt:   1.161 Euro / mo

Who would notice 19 Euro difference?

Darmstadt seems a little cheaper.

But the difference in average rental price between all 3 seem negligible compared to

"having to put reward leaflets out in Stuttgart to find an apartment"

vs.

any city that has "readily available" apartment stock.  

The link I provided earlier does seem wrong when it comes to Frankfurt.  Other data I saw (but didn't post) always showed Frankfurt as one of the highest in the country.  Certainly it is higher than Darmstadt!

As somebody who works in Frankfurt and therefore has a lot of colleagues who live there, then I can tell you that they are all complaining about the housing market.  Those who want to buy struggle or cannot find anything at a reasonable price.  Those who rent don't want to move because the prices are so much higher in a new place.  One colleague has been living separately from his wife for 9-12 months because they struggled to find an apartment suitable for both of them to live in permanently.  We all work in IT, so we are not exactly badly paid!

There is a real boom in Frankfurt at the moment for building apartments, including a lot of rental apartments, but it seems that demand is still outstripping supply.

On 4/12/2018, 11:16:01, Leman said:

And not having to drive a car to work seemed like a great idea too!  It's probably not this easy in real life as you say.. 

If you are looking for DoD jobs in Wiesbaden, Darmstadt, and Stuttgart, you will likely be driving to work.  I can't speak for public transportation access in Stuttgart, but there is only one bus that comes close to Clay Kaserne in Wiesbaden and nothing in Darmstadt.

1 hour ago, JG52 said:

If you are looking for DoD jobs in Wiesbaden, Darmstadt, and Stuttgart, you will likely be driving to work.  I can't speak for public transportation access in Stuttgart, but there is only one bus that comes close to Clay Kaserne in Wiesbaden and nothing in Darmstadt.

Years ago, while living in Stuttgart, I was invited to a Kaserne in Vaihingen. I don't remember exactly whether I took a bus from the Vaihingen S-Bahn oder just walked from there, but I had no problem getting to the Kaserne using public transportation.

On 12/04/2018, 20:36:39, AnswerToLife42 said:

Leman: Frankfurt has 740000 inhabitants and 360000 people commute to work very morning. There are larger towns in Germany but is second when it comes to commuting.

Second? They're generally rated first at 65% for inbound-commuter-to-population ratio - for cities above 250,000 people.

Among these Düsseldorf is second at 62%, Mannheim third at 61%, Stuttgart fourth at 60%; in general around 55% is typical for cities that size. If one includes smaller cities - above 100,000 - then Frankfurt is at best average though. Darmstadt is at 69% btw.

Background is that Frankfurt - and Stuttgart - did force some surrounding suburbs into their proper territory, but not to the extent that e.g. Munich did it (which is at 45%) and definitely not like the molochs of the north (Hamburg at 36% and Berlin at only 21%).

Belated comment on Darmstadt.  These places are all pretty similar in our gentrified world.  (I do know the other two).   Certainly the usual scrum for the very scarce property in the popular areas.   Darmstadt is basically alt tech central, these days.  Tops the "Future Cities" list here every year and has just become the first "Digital City".  Also (I think) the only Green-run city in Germany.  You get the picture.  (The fact that no anglophone seems to have given an opinion also probably tells you a lot about life here in 2018 and its accessibility to our cohort). 

It's a very easy and comfortable place to live, incredibly cushioned and also in many ways stimulating (knowledge, innovation, creative arts etc).   Nothing bad will ever happen to you in Darmstadt and all sorts of goodies will be at your feet.  It's got great positivity and (as the even Rough Guide to Germany noticed) is very laidback and also very liberal.  But that of course now also means those now cliched modern aspects of wealth and corporate normative conformist life / gentrification that are not everyone's cup of tea and that increasingly crowd out Ms or Mr Average.

I think you asked something like what do single 30 somethings do for homes?  In 2018, few would be living alone in 2000 Euro apartments, even if there were many on offer.  Also a substantial proportion of our housing is social (30%) or other not-for-profit sort and this tends to be less accessible to incoming foreigners.

On 10.5.2018, 17:21:43, swimmer said:

Belated comment on Darmstadt.  These places are all pretty similar in our gentrified world.  (I do know the other two).   Certainly the usual scrum for the very scarce property in the popular areas.   Darmstadt is basically alt tech central, these days.  Tops the "Future Cities" list here every year and has just become the first "Digital City".  Also (I think) the only Green-run city in Germany.  You get the picture.  (The fact that no anglophone seems to have given an opinion also probably tells you a lot about life here in 2018 and its accessibility to our cohort). 

It's a very easy and comfortable place to live, incredibly cushioned and also in many ways stimulating (knowledge, innovation, creative arts etc).   Nothing bad will ever happen to you in Darmstadt and all sorts of goodies will be at your feet.  It's got great positivity and (as the even Rough Guide to Germany noticed) is very laidback and also very liberal.  But that of course now also means those now cliched modern aspects of wealth and corporate normative conformist life / gentrification that are not everyone's cup of tea and that increasingly crowd out Ms or Mr Average.

I think you asked something like what do single 30 somethings do for homes?  In 2018, few would be living alone in 2000 Euro apartments, even if there were many on offer.  Also a substantial proportion of our housing is social (30%) or other not-for-profit sort and this tends to be less accessible to incoming foreigners.

As an American working and studying in Darmstadt, I can tell you that in many companies have English as a company language, especially in the digital sphere, There are also a number of English-speaking social groups in town.

As quite a senior professional who has lived here for nearly 15 years and worked as a contractor for many big business names over that time, not sure why newcomers think l might  need to be "told" this?

Anglophone is not a synonym for English speaker.    The vast - vast - majority of people using English in  business here use it as an additional language.   Like 99%+.

The city statistics list 450 Britons, 460 US citizens and 37 Australasians in the 150,000 population.  Others (such as Irish) are so small as to not be disclosed alone.  Tiny numbers.   Much smaller than when I moved here.   And only a small fraction of those will be in employment, of course,  and not even always in this town.

https://www.darmstadt.de/fileadmin/Bilder-Rubriken/Standort/Statistik_und_Stadtforschung/pdf/jahrbuch/02Bevoelkerung/K02-5.pdf

But, leaving that aside, have you got any uptodate information for the poster about how to set up the life he wants?  

Why is the number of native speakers relevant? It is about communication, is it not?

My point for the OP is that getting by in English is not usually a big deal in Darmstadt.