Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I got offered a job i really want in Berlin, but it's weirdly underpaid

11 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone, 

first post here, i subscribed because i got offered a job in Berlin and was looking for clarifications on a few aspects, so i found out this site which seems very populated and up to date with a lot of infos.

First of all then, forgive me if this is the wrong section, and feel free to move the topic in the right place!

in short, i live and work in Italy, and last week i got offered an internship in videogame localization at a studio located in Berlin thanks to a friend.

It's a job that features elements i studied for in college, and is a field i have interests in.

I am now going through the screening process and most definitely will get the job, but there are a couple of things i need some help figuring out:

1. The pay is suspiciously low: the internship is 6 months long, is full time 40 hours a week, and the wage is 500€ a month. Isn't this extremely low for Germany standards? I looked online and i seem to meet all the requirement for the german Minimum Wage Act, so i don't get why is it so low. I've already asked this officd HR office for more details, waiting for their reply. In any case, is there anything i can do? Would bargaining for a higher salary work in the context of internships? Is that a thing in Germany or will they simply deny my request?

2. After the 6 months: since i don't have much knowledge of Berlin's job world, how are the chances of being hired after an internships? Is it common? Is it uncommon? 

Thanks in advance for all your replies!

Internships are often very low paid and you have to remember that this is not a full job nor a promise of one.

This site:  https://www.glassdoor.de/Geh%C3%A4lter/berlin-intern-gehalt-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM1020_KO7,13.htm?countryRedirect=true

Shows the current level of internships in Berlin.

So 500 Euros is on the low side, but it is not the lowest.

You can of course always try to negotiate a higher rate, explain that you have to move from Italy etc.  But in the end, if they don't want/can't afford  to pay more than this then you risk the chance of not being offered the position.

If this will lead to a job or not is something which only the company can answer.  if your friend works for the company then this should give you an advantage as you can ask them how the situation is really inside the company, how is business, are they hiring or firing people in general.  Something a external person would struggle to find out.

But in general I would suggest that any real life experience that you can gain would boast your changes of being employed.  Especially in IT related fields, where experience counts more than qualifications.  Of course, this depends on what you do.  If you spend the whole day making coffee and sweeping floors then it won't help!

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Internships are often very low paid and you have to remember that this is not a full job nor a promise of one.

On the other hand, it is not possible to classify a job as an internship in order to offer a low wage.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

So 500 Euros is on the low side, but it is not the lowest.

However, the position clearly violates the minimum wage laws and is not legal.

@sgabello

The company is trying to scam you. The only way it would be legally possible for them to offer a full-time contract for 6 months with only 500€/month would be if you required the internship to graduate from an accredited programme.

BTW, you can't live on 500€/month in Berlin anymore.

I wonder if you got legal insurance before you took the job and did the 6 months, if you'd be able to sue them for the wage they should have paid you at minimum wage...

2. After the 6 months: since i don't have much knowledge of Berlin's job world, how are the chances of being hired after an internships? Is it common? Is it uncommon? 

What field are you in? If I were you, I'd ask that question to the company: "how many interns have you had in the last 5 years?" "How many of them have been taken on at the company afterwards?" etc

5 hours ago, sgabello said:

in short, i live and work in Italy, and last week i got offered an internship in videogame localization at a studio located in Berlin thanks to a friend.

It's a job that features elements i studied for in college, and is a field i have interests in.

Videogame industry pays shit, intership or not.

My suggestion: get a decent SW developer job and contribute to an open source game on your free time.

my wife did a student job to start with in an it company in Munich and she used to get 1500 per month and after tax deductions around 940 in hand. so 500, i would say is very less.

If you are enrolled at University/Fachhochschule or equivalent, you can do an internship of up to a Maximum of three months with one employer. This can also be split into two or more segements. The only way to do an internship that lasts longer and does not come under the minimum wage restrictions is if your course of study specifically requests you to do a longer internship. You would need proof of that in writing. Also, you must still be considered a student.

If the internship is not a requirement for your graduation then what the company is suggesting is illegal.

Internships are not paid well because you are expected to learn something which means that it will cost your employer time and money. Some companies used to take advantage of students very close to graduation and use them as cheap labor. A lot of companies will pay interns differently depending on where they are in their education (bachelor students / masters students).

There are also certain strings attached to Mindestlohn jobs, IIRC, but I can't tell you what those are.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎42‎:‎31‎, engelchen said:

No, they are not.

Did you actually read the article to which you posted? Or did you just not read the original post? The OP is asking about a 6 month "internship".

Yes, I guess the words were too complicated for you.  Most internships will fit into one of the exceptions.

9 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

Yes, I guess the words were too complicated for you.  Most internships will fit into one of the exceptions.

What the hell are you talking about?!?!!?

On 9.4.2018, 08:16:55, sgabello said:

the internship is 6 months long, is full time 40 hours a week, and the wage is 500€ a month.

The OP clearly stated that the "internship" is 6 months long, which automatically excludes two of the four options. Furthermore, he has made no mention of being a student who requires an internship to graduate, which excludes the other option.

The fourth option is only for placements by the Agentur für Arbeit/JobCenter and does not apply to private offers.

As I already said last week:

On 9.4.2018, 11:04:54, engelchen said:

The only way it would be legally possible for them to offer a full-time contract for 6 months with only 500€/month would be if you required the internship to graduate from an accredited programme.