Irish passport process

14 posts in this topic

Hi! I am half-Irish, and am finally getting round to applying for an Irish passport. I live in Germany, but I'm not sure
how smooth the process is here. I might need to return to Ireland if it's a big deal. Has anybody tried to apply from
Germany recently, and were there any problems? How long does it take?

@garnix I applied for my Irish passport in Munich and had no issues at all, as long as you have all the paperwork it's very easy and quick.

• Contact the Irish consulate/embassy and get the appropriate form. Fill that in and get all the required paperwork together.
  • I went to a notary to have my form witnessed and my pictures checked.
  • After the notary, I made an appointment to visit the Irish consulate (in Munich) with all my paperwork. They checked all the documentation and made sure everything was present. They took copies of what they needed and I paid the fee. 
  • You will be given a tracking number so you can check the status of your passport, I had mine in my hand in less than 10 days. 

I'd also recommend that once you have your Irish passport you also apply for the passport card. It's so convenient over here to have your passport in your wallet rather than having to carry around the passport book itself.

Thanks @Tallicame, very useful answer! But do I need to go to Munich? I'm based in Freiburg. Could I do it all by post?

I hope the paperwork isn't too heavy. Proof of address, birth certs, etc.?

I did this from Germany some 13-14 years ago. All very straightforward and nothing to worry about. The passport card is very useful, can be applied for online.

Cead mile failte!

@garnix  all the information you need is here including details of how to request the APS2E form.

Paperwork isn't too heavy at all. For me, it was easy to go to the consulate and it meant they took copies of my original birth certificate and British passport without me having to post the original. I'm sure you'll have no issues doing all through the post. It's a very painless process. It is possible it might take longer to get the passport through as they were talking about quite a few delays due to the large numbers of applicants. 

Just make sure that whoever you get to certify your form and pictures is available by phone as everyone I know who has applied for an Irish passport has had their witness called to confirm their identity. 

an easy option to getting your photos and certificates checked is to go to your Bürgeramt..  only cost about €10 and there's no mucking about with appoinments etc..

otherwise, everything is really straight forward and the embassy / consulate staff in Berlin are always available on the phone to answer any questions..  simples.!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just getting deep into it now. I have an "original" of my birth cert, but copies of my father's birth cert and marriage cert -- will these be accepted, or am I supposed to write to the offices in Ireland to get originals.

Go raibh maith agat.

On 4/9/2018, 9:03:43, Tallicame said:

Just make sure that whoever you get to certify your form and pictures is available by phone as everyone I know who has applied for an Irish passport has had their witness called to confirm their identity. 

Do they phone you, the applicant, too? The reason I ask is I hardly ever answer the phone. It is mostly just garbage calls from recruiters and the like. If my friends need me they don't phone me, they Whatsapp or text.

No, I never got phoned it's just the person who witnesses your application. Two other friends who also applied for an Irish passport had their witness called. One was even delayed because the witness was off on holidays for two weeks. 

I had a notar witness my application so I don't know if there were contacted. 

Thanks. I just had mine witnessed by a lady at the Bürgeramt. But I too would worry about the holiday thing, or if she would even remember me when she is called.

I had the registry office send me documents, but they're marked as "Certified Copy" rather than original documents. I doubt if any registry office gives out real originals. 

Any idea if this is accepted by the Irish embassy?