1 Year Intensive German Language Course at Uni??

13 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone, I have been reading threads on Toytown since the past six months. Its been very helpful. :)

I am looking to shift to Southern Germany likely by the end of this year or beginning of the next.  I am financially stable, and my plan is to do a 1 year Intensive German Course in the University.  I intend to live in Germany for ~5 years and if I like it, I will permanently shift there. I have been studying German a few hours a week whenever I get some time, going through some books and  beginners courses online. It gets boring, I can't give it my all everyday but I try.

After doing some searches I still couldn't find the info I was after specially post revamp in the German Education, So I have some questions for those who may have a say from experience or otherwise,

Q1. How long do you think it may take for a native English speaker in my age group(Late 20's) taking the intensive course at uni for a year to be able to speak, communicate vice versa in German?

Q2. Are the Bavarian Universities any good as in, since the Government made the education practical free in public universities, are they crap? Like will they be actually teaching me, or just throw folks in and out just as long as they get paid for filling a criteria? As in is it worthwhile?

See my biggest concern is being able to speak the language, understand it when others are speaking it, and being able to express myself in it.

Thanks for your time.

1 minute ago, Tiw said:

I am looking to shift to Southern Germany likely by the end of this year or beginning of the next.  I am financially stable, and my plan is to do a 1 year Intensive German Course in the University.

There are many language schools that offer intensive German courses. Intensive full-time courses at German universities are exception rather than the norm.

1 minute ago, Tiw said:

Q1. How long do you think it may take for a native English speaker in my age group(Late 20's) taking the intensive course at uni for a year to be able to speak, communicate vice versa in German?

After about a year of intensive language courses you should be able to pass the C1 exam, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can properly communicate in German. What are you planning on studying?

1 minute ago, Tiw said:

Q2. Are the Bavarian Universities any good as in, since the Government made the education practical free in public universities, are they crap? Like will they be actually teaching me, or just throw folks in and out just as long as they get paid for filling a criteria.

Public universities generally have a better reputation than private in Germany. The quality of courses vary by programme and school.

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

There are many language schools that offer intensive German courses. Intensive full-time courses at German universities are exception rather than the norm.

Hi and thanks for replying to me, Now would you say its a good thing I rather be at a German Uni learning the language or rather a school?

I have already been in touch with a few unis, thinking on Regensburg as I may have some associates not too far away from there. And being still in my later youth, I rather enjoy the student life there.

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

After about a year of intensive language courses you should be able to pass the C1 exam, however, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can properly communicate in German. What are you planning on studying?

My biggest concern is being able to communicate with the Germans properly for the most part that is, that and yes learning in future education in uni (I would want to be able to Understand whats being said, even if not 100% fluent or whatever. After finishing the 1 year language course; I plan to do something in relation to engineering and procurement as  I have a background in those along with other things.

Here's some feedback: keep all your questions on one thread. It makes it easier for you (and others) to keep track of the answers and prevents unnecessary duplication of effort.

On 3.4.2018, 12:25:20, Tiw said:

After finishing the 1 year language course; I plan to do something in relation to engineering and procurement as  I have a background in those along with other things.

When did you graduate from high school? Do you have an NCEA? Or a New Zealand Higher School Certificate? Did you pass the University Entrance, Bursaries and Scholarships Examination in New Zealand?

26 minutes ago, engelchen said:

When did you graduate from high school? Do you have an NCEA? Or a New Zealand Higher School Certificate? Did you pass the University Entrance, Bursaries and Scholarships Examination in New Zealand?

Yes I have all that and have checked with the university last year, all checks out, they invited me to fill up the application and said I had to join some A1-A2 Classes that will start and run a few extra months before the Intensive Courses. I am waiting on a few things before I actually apply.

37 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Are you a native English speaker?

dunno mate, is english the native language of nz?

5 minutes ago, Tiw said:

dunno mate, is english the native language of nz?

I think it is actually a good question and was wondering the same thing. Your English is not quite what I would expect from a native English speaker wanting to attend university.

The more difficulties you have mastering your own mother tongue, the less likely you’ll be able to learn sufficient German within a year in order to start studying.  

you lot have never been here have you? oh well, we are at a geographical disadvantage here, just last century we were put aside as an island of aus. ha.

the answer to my question is both yes and no, (dont ask) and the answer to both yer questions is yes, not that I care, but hey thanks.

if you can speak good german over B2 , then you can take that course for DSH, or Testdaf in univ. Most of univs have a immakulations programm that per se means you can start studying with  german B2-C1 level in your future-univs. There is a kind of assistent program for beginners.  One year later, if you took right score, C2 ,DSH3 orTestdaf 4, you would get admissionfrom univ.