Racial profiled at a supermarket in Berlin looking for legal insurance to sue them !

50 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I had a really bad interraction with the security in a supermarket even tho I did everything fine.

I feel like they  had racial biases against black people  and i'm looking with a NGO I talked about it  and a future lawyer to sue them, because I found it disgusting.

So i'm looking for a legal insurance with staff who speak english. I live here and I work  here just to let you know.

Best regards,

If you tell what happened we might tell you if you have any chances in court before you throw away a lot of money.

No, there is no free lawyer. And no, legal insurance will not cover anything which happened before you signed for it.

21 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

legal insurance will not cover anything which happened before you signed for it.

Because he’s black? :ph34r:

Well, it is Friday....

@johnhk, what tor stated would truly help, but it ultimately depends upon you.  Consider that a large amount of us have been in Germany for years and have experienced directly or indirectly what you went through.  Perhaps we can offer some advice or solutions, but more information is definitely needed.

Agree with others- what exactly happened? If you want advice, then a clearer picture needed. 

Germans are direct in questions, did you have a backpack ? Some stores have a desk to leave large bags. Just some thoughts before you rush to pay a lawyer for consult and opinion.

Sorry to not have replied early on ,

to clarify  bag were defintly allowed in the store as I was not the only one with a backpack.

The thing is that I was definetly  on camera when I've done my grocery  the man in charge of security just assumed I was stealing.

Even tho I had to pass to cashier in charg of drinks (getranke)  and the general one for the food related groceries, paid  at both  asked for the receipts and then got  stopped in front of the store by  someone in disguised as a client. From what I understood is that he ''catch me '' put stuff in my  bag and proceed to hide in front of the store to stop me before I leave.

What's make it racial profiling his that he assumed I was stealing the moment he saw me on camera but weird enough as a security person he didn't watch  if I actually paid for the grocery. Which make it really  weird. I don't know if I was thinking someone his being suspicious I would just watch at the camera if his paying for his stuff or not.

I don't want to get in the detail to much since I will press charges but just to let you know that i'm working this case with a serious organization as I don't want this kind racial profiling to happend to anyone going to the store after me.

What i'm looking for his advice on which legal insurance I could take to handle this case. People making useless comment and downgrading my experience are not needed in this thread  by  the way. 

Also if you want to discuss this care further my private message are open but keep in mind that I can't  openly discuss every since i'm taking legal action.

11 minutes ago, johnhk said:

What i'm looking for his advice on which legal insurance I could take to handle this case.

Insurances don't usually pay after the fact.

6 minutes ago, johnhk said:

What's make it racial profiling his that he assumed I was stealing the moment he saw me on camera but weird enough as a security person he didn't watch  if I actually paid for the grocery.

Even genuine racial profiling is extremely hard to prove. Basically, you need to prove that you are being stopped because of your skin colour, while the security does not stop people of the other skin color. Can you prove that? In the citation above you say security person saw you on camera (throwing something into backpack?) and stopped you. Are you sure they only stop black people, but not everyone who throw things into backpack?

Basically, you need to go into the same supermarket with a group of friends, buy exactly the same products, throw in the same backpack, and then note who will be checked and who will not. Then you may or may not have a case.

11 minutes ago, johnhk said:

What i'm looking for his advice on which legal insurance I could take to handle this case.

None. You have to pay out of own pocket, unless you find a lawyer who would be like to do this pro bono. Your "serious organization" might help. Legal insurance, no: they only pay for cases happened after you signed up for it.

25 minutes ago, johnhk said:

Sorry to not have replied early on ,

to clarify  bag were defintly allowed in the store as I was not the only one with a backpack.

The thing is that I was definetly  on camera when I've done my grocery  the man in charge of security just assumed I was stealing.

Even tho I had to pass to cashier in charg of drinks (getranke)  and the general one for the food related groceries, paid  at both  asked for the receipts and then got  stopped in front of the store by  someone in disguised as a client. From what I understood is that he ''catch me '' put stuff in my  bag and proceed to hide in front of the store to stop me before I leave.

What's make it racial profiling his that he assumed I was stealing the moment he saw me on camera but weird enough as a security person he didn't watch  if I actually paid for the grocery. Which make it really  weird. I don't know if I was thinking someone his being suspicious I would just watch at the camera if his paying for his stuff or not.

I don't want to get in the detail to much since I will press charges but just to let you know that i'm working this case with a serious organization as I don't want this kind racial profiling to happend to anyone going to the store after me.

What i'm looking for his advice on which legal insurance I could take to handle this case. People making useless comment and downgrading my experience are not needed in this thread  by  the way. 

Also if you want to discuss this care further my private message are open but keep in mind that I can't  openly discuss every since i'm taking legal action.

Do you actually have legal insurance/Rechtsschutzversicherung?

so...just to be clear...you put stuff in your back pack...took all of it out and paid for all of it and had receipts...they stopped you...and...?

P.S. I always use a shopping basket. Even when in a small market around the corner where every cashier knows my face. If I buy only a couple of small things I hold them in my hands visible for the cameras. I do it for the shop security to make their work easier (I don't know if there is actually shop security, but whatever). Highly recommended.

31 minutes ago, tor said:

so...just to be clear...you put stuff in your back pack...took all of it out and paid for all of it and had receipts...they stopped you...and...?

...and nothing.  He's a non-German, non-fair-skinned person, so any suspected wrong doing on his part is immediately negated by the obvious colour of his skin.

I'm also 100% sure when he was at the checkout, he turned his backpack upside down and shook it to make sure it was completely empty of any items he needed to pay. 

well I want to hear what they said and what he said and if there was any 'wrong doing'. Only the OP can answer that...

53 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

P.S. I always use a shopping basket. Even when in a small market around the corder where every cashier knows my face. If I buy only a couple of small things I hold them in my hands visible for the cameras. I do it for the shop security to make their work easier (I don't know if there is actually shop security, but whatever). Highly recommended.

Agree-  putting shopping in backpacks may trigger an alert. As long as you have receipts for all your shopping, then  why get so upset, unless you can prove racial bias against you.

On 30.3.2018, 14:47:34, johnhk said:

I had a really bad interraction with the security in a supermarket even tho I did everything fine.

If you regard putting things that you have not payed for into your rucksack to be "fine", then I am sure you have a good case.

6 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I always use a shopping basket. Even when in a small market around the corner where every cashier knows my face. If I buy only a couple of small things I hold them in my hands visible

Having spoken to a security colleague, this seems to be the best way to do your shopping without any risk of "profiling" - whether black, white, yellow, male or female.

Keep all items you wish to purchase in full view of everybody, and DO NOT go putting stuff into bags, rucksacks or even pockets, however tempting it might be!

Security staff actually look to see who holds their goods in view, and who doesn't - obviously, those "hiding" goods attract more attention!

Hai guize! I just had a bad accident! Can you please tell me where I can buy health insurance?

Kthxbye!

You don't have a case, anyone telling you the opposite has some other interest.   You should not conceal things while shopping because even if you pay for them you already provided enough reasonable doubt to stop you.   I understand you are angry because other people do these and they are not stopped, but it will be very difficult to prove they only stop dark skinned people.

If you want to piss them off (because they are really unreasonable) and you have the time when they stop you you tell them to call the police and not to touch you.  As long as you are not trying to leave the place you can just wait there until the police arrives and you do not have to follow them to dark back rooms.

Some years ago I was racially profiled in Australia. We went shopping in a supermarket and also put everything in my backpack.

Australians are all racists! :(

13 hours ago, johnhk said:

since i'm taking legal action.

No, you aren't.