Parking a bicycle in public in early morning... theft magnet?

49 posts in this topic

I'm tentatively planning on starting a gym membership and going daily at around 5am (I already wake up that early, but with less productive results). I also have a used (not flashy) road bike I'm thinking about using for the trip from home to gym, and then to work / uni later at 8am or so. Possible gyms are at Breitscheidplatz and S Charlottenburg. Given that early morning still counts somewhat as evening, as in prime time for bicycle jacking (esp. in winter when it's still dark), would you recommend this route of biking to the gym in this area at 5am and parking it there?

On a related note, anyone hear of bicycle locker services in Berlin, esp. around this area?

I don't know much about Breitscheidplatz but DON'T leave your bike at S bhf Charlottenburg.  Or any bahnhof, especially on a regular basis, if you can avoid it. 

If you're unsure about the place you leave your bike then try not to park it in the same place every day, make sure to lock it to something stationary, and use two decent locks. The prospect of having to cut or break multiple locks is apparently pretty effective at deterring most thieves. The average bike theft takes 2-5 minutes I think. More locks = more time.

Paint the frame with rust paint. Thieves only wamt bikes they can sell. Then, you won't need any locks.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

Paint the frame with rust paint. Thieves only wamt bikes they can sell. Then, you won't need any locks.

fairly sure this is meant tongue-in-cheek, but for the naive, just in case, this is really bad advice because:

a) the frame is only one part of a bike that can be sold or otherwise repurposed: anyone who's ever had bits of their bikes stolen (seat, handlebars, tires/wheels etc) or seen a naked frame locked to a fence can attest to that.  (Therefore: ALWAYS make sure to weave your lock through your wheel[-s], regardless of how much they're worth, because you can't ride home on a frame)

b) an unlocked bike is basically a gift from you to the universe and it doesn't matter whether it is nice or valuable or pretty or whatever.  I have taken unlocked bikes home for shits and giggles and I'm not even a bike thief.

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I have taken unlocked bikes home for shits and giggles

you have got to be kidding me

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

and I'm not even a bike thief

I beg to disagree

yes it's absolutely stupid to leave a bike unlocked but come on.

Theft is a part of being a Berliner, this comes a bit shocking to residents of more civilized parts of Germany.  I left a bike unlocked for half a year (during winter months) until it was stolen by some Prussian students.

Isn't it a bit sad that people stopped trust each other? Recently parked near a church and noticed that all bikes were locked. Isn't sad? When I was young, churches were a kind of taboo areas for the thieves. Not anymore? Whatever, I refused to lock my back near the church. It was still there when I returned.

"Theft is part of being a Berliner," what a stupid thing to say.

If you leave your property out in public unattended and it is still there when you get back, lucky you.

Has nothing to do with trust, sadness or theft.

Don't be stupid, don't leave your shit hanging around at the train station and then when it's not there upon your return, lament the untrustworthiness of your fellow citizens.

::eyerollHARD::

There are bicycle sharks patrolling everywhere, and it takes barely a moment for one of them to hop on your unlocked bike and ride away.

41 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

"Theft is part of being a Berliner," what a stupid thing to say.

If you leave your property out in public unattended and it is still there when you get back, lucky you.

Has nothing to do with trust, sadness or theft.

Don't be stupid, don't leave your shit hanging around at the train station and then when it's not there upon your return, lament the untrustworthiness of your fellow citizens.

::eyerollHARD::

To summarize: don't be stupid, don't cycle in Berlin. Well, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

don't be stupid, don't cycle in Berlin

That's BS. Yes, bikes get stolen regularly in Berlin, they nicked my wife's locked bicycle from our Hinterhof last summer. Cheap bike, two locks, various other strategies. But when the weather improves :lol: it's a great way to get round the city.

10 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

2. explain your disagreement please

MAM already did.

you said you are not a thief, I disagree.  You are a thief.

Well, technically there is a difference. Basically, if the bike is locked then §243 StGB applies, otherwise §242. If he intends to put it back, only taking it for use then legally he's not a thief but §248b applies still punishing the act otherwise (since it's a vehicle). The main result of that difference is that if the bike is locked a minimum sentence of 3 months applies.

I have forgotten to lock my bike a couple of times over the years. Nobody took it. If they had, I would assume it was gone for good and not go back to the same place looking for it. So even returning one after stealing it for an hour or so is still wrong.

43 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So even returning one after stealing it for an hour or so is still wrong.

Interestingly this is only the case for powered vehicles and Fahrräder (not writing bicycle since it's not limited by the number of wheels). If you "borrow" one of those used-to-be-hip scooter things or for something more traditional say a wheelbarrow without the owner's consent and with the intention to put it back - and it's unlocked - then it's not punishable.