I woke up blind in one eye this morning

695 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Great news, john g.! Why not do it before going to Greece?? It is only March 2nd.

Eric, I hope you can find some relief, soon.

First available date was May... and then there will be check ups for a while and maybe even a flying Verbot...

So first we get to feed the cats and have some beach time etc!

August is too hot for us these days there - so we can have that part of summer here! 

Win win!😎😎

And we can enjoy the wildlife😰😡🐶 eg

And:

https://youtu.be/MK4UPoypJ6s

32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Eric, I hope you can find some relief, soon.

That's very nice of you, thanks.

1 hour ago, john g. said:

First available date was May... and then there will be check ups for a while and maybe even a flying Verbot..

The train is supposed to be a wonderful trip.  But mostly visually.

We have done that before from Hamburg to Athens but then there's still the overnight ferry to Heraklion and we will have two dogs with us! Direct flight from Hamburg to Heraklion ( 3 hours 20 minutes ) is more appealing! We are no spring chickens!

Well, we did it 9 years ago when we moved from Hamburg to Crete and were knackered afterwards.. days of uncomfortable, unhygienic travelling.

We no longer feel strong enough and definitely not willing enough to do it again!

I even took the train from Athens to Bonn as a 19 year old! That was tiring even then and no shower facilities etc..

And it was the first time a border enforcement guy ( on the Yugoslavian border ) showed me why he had power: a gun!! Pointed at me! ( Ok, I had just been cheeky!!)😂

I am glad  that all is going well for you Johm.

Off to Hamburg on Friday! Nicole will hold the fort here for a few weeks. Taking puppy Mandy with me! Aug 1st- a final chance to sort out the dodgy eye. Hospital op. They say they can operate. Nobody else has said that.

If I get even10 per cent better vision, I'll be one happy bunny👍

I hope I can fly back quickly, doc reports/advice required. Then maybe back to Crete till October and we can fly back to Hamburg together for the Autumn/ Winter.

All good wishes John for your surgery.  Flying restrictions depend on what type of eye surgery you have, so do not rush. Take MD's advice!! 

4 hours ago, john g. said:

They say they can operate.

All operations are serious and some more serious than others.  Have you obtained a second opinion or are you confident, given your history, that these docs are the ones and only?

14 hours ago, john g. said:

we can fly back to Hamburg together for the Autumn/ Winter

This is the bit I question :lol:

Evening, catjones and  kiplette❤️

I don't know if the op will work. The docs in Hamburg were confident. " We do this every day."

The problem has been the silicon behind the eye, left there 4 years ago by the surgeon in Heraklion- a top class one. But Covid came along and the eye department closed down for two years.

Consensus was till recently- too late, babe. Flew to Athens last year and three wise men with the appropriate grey beards said it was too dangerous to operate.

Meanwhile, in Hamburg, they reckon the silicon has moved a bit! Maybe like a tortoise moves. And they reckon it is safe. And maybe I can regain SOME eyesight in the dodgy eye.

I will take the risk- even if ten per cent improvement in my vision occurs. Ten per crnt sounds like a ten per cent pay rise!😂

What do I have at the moment? Bumping into doors, windows and my partner Nicole saying " let me pour the glass of water for you " because when I do it the water ends up next to the glass.

On the SmartPhone ( as per now )- zero problems. But a computer screen is hard work.🙁

I will take the risk but am , of course , a bit terrified.🙁

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

I will take the risk but am , of course , a bit terrified.

Sounds worth it, from what you describe.

Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed for your travels and for the event itself and the aftermath.

Honestly the only bit I was unsure of was why the heck you would fly to Hamburg for the winter! 

Seriously, all the best.

John, I know the feeling. You have my Skype contact, we can talk any time!