I woke up blind in one eye this morning

557 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, john g. said:

Long shot here! Did you ever meet Armenio Lujan? Mexican American? Around 30 years old then? Dark hair, witty as hell. Charming.

My God, karma?

Sadly I can´t say I do, there were so many names, but if he was there then I probably knew him.

That was the time, the year! My God, slammer🙏🏻.

Just imagining you did gives me goose pimples. He was a wonderful friend- funnily enough ( and this is the eye thread😂)... he was the first person I ever met with contact lenses.😂

And the reason I left Europe to travel the world.. long story but an adorable sadly missed friend.

All fun and games yesterday. Up at 5, flew to Athens, got to the Athens Eye Clinic ( absolutely top rated ), had some tests and then the top prof himself explained in medicalese what the problem is..and he would prefer not to operate.

Basically, “ it is too dangerous. Your vision would likely not improve one iota and an op could cause a total break up of the retina.”

So, checked into a hotel for a bit of kip and flew back to Crete in the evening.

So back to square one...

Oh dear John. He was erring on the side of caution. If in doubt, don't. Probably wise.  There are no guarantees. Try and be thankful for his honesty. That doesn't stop you from getting a second opinion though. Maybe in another country?

Yes! You will be no help to your rescue animals, or in wrapping up your affairs (I know there's a lot to do) if you are blind.

I'd recommend finding someone to handle your Greek headaches and paperwork (easier said than done!), getting transport for your dogs, and departure for Germany.

I'm sure the TTers can help find initial accommodation in Germany.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, this has been dragging on for nearly 3 years. John is beratungsresistent. Not happy. 

4 hours ago, Metall said:

@john g. Please come back to Germany.

Also, you can PM or email me the medicalese to interpret for you.

Will PM you this evening

Sorry to hear this. I hope you can get a second opinion. Your situation sounds to be a more serious problem but several years ago a relative of mine, who was having trouble seeing because of cataracts, was told by an older consultant at one hospital that he'd leave her cataracts until they got worse and by another younger consultant at another hospital that he'd operate straight away, which he did, with positive results.

We have booked a flight to Hamburg for May to sort out Brexit ( the Auslaenderamt want a personal 45 minute interview), get a new place sorted out and all the rest of it.

We have a place to stay.

One dog will stay with a friend with a garden for the couple of weeks we are away, one will come with us. We have ordered 3 cat food dispensers for three locations around the house and office as a stop gap measure! No one will feed them otherwise. 

Then we will start winding down here even if we don’t sell the house quickly in these Covid times.

Will get a ( third ) opinion about the eye in Germany. 
Life goes on and we will be stronger for it🙏🏻

10 hours ago, john g. said:

All fun and games yesterday. Up at 5, flew to Athens, got to the Athens Eye Clinic ( absolutely top rated ), had some tests and then the top prof himself explained in medicalese what the problem is..and he would prefer not to operate.

Basically, “ it is too dangerous. Your vision would likely not improve one iota and an op could cause a total break up of the retina.”

So, checked into a hotel for a bit of kip and flew back to Crete in the evening.

So back to square one...

Forgot to mention two highlights yesterday:

the perfume selection at Athens Airport.. so one half of us was happy later!

And the curious announcement by the pilot on the return flight “ our amazing crew will soon be with you.”

It was indeed amazing! They started coming along the aisle with brown paper bags!

” Is it still Christmas?”, I wondered.

I opened mine like a wide-eyed three- year- old!

Inside? A biscuit and a small bottle of mineral water!😂

I guess that was premium class flights, you rich git

On a serious note, I would not mess around with your eye sight, get a second and 3rd assessment as soon as possible

We all like to safe a bit of money and put things off, but for me the money is there for the good health, if this has been delayed 3 years, its really time to get on with it.

Thank you, yesterday!

I will have you know I had to postpone a manicure and pedicure appointment because of the urgency of the matter and ( ok, to be honest- lockdown😂)!

I have had multiple assessments re the eye the past three years.

In fact, I now think back to a private clinic in Heraklion about a year ago when they actually said “ why not try at the public hospital again?”

Now I understand..  THEY didn’t really know how to deal with it, either.. they could have earned good money ( cash ).. but were overwhelmed??

3 hours ago, Lorelei said:

[...] several years ago a relative of mine, who was having trouble seeing because of cataracts, was told by an older consultant at one hospital that he'd leave her cataracts until they got worse and by another younger consultant at another hospital that he'd operate straight away, which he did, with positive results.

Speaking as a medical person, this waiting until a cataract is fully clouded ("reifer Katarakt") is obsolete medicine. Using older methods, the fully clouded old cataracts were easier to operate on, but that no longer is relevant in modern surgery! It figures that the younger consultant operated. Good on your relative.