I woke up blind in one eye this morning

557 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, john g. said:

Probably won’t be allowed to fly after the op -waiting for the doc’s answer - but there is the overnight ferry in a worst case scenario!😂🙁... couldn’t be worse than constantly stumbling over things and bashing my head against tree branches on the pavements etc...

I really enjoy ferries, much more than flying.  Have done Piraeus Crete.  Quite a few North Sea ferries I have spent many happy trips on have been retired to Piireaus and Crete.  Must have been interesting trip getting them there.

I would take the ferry over flying any time, moreso in the current situation. I hope they can get you sorted out quickly 

1 hour ago, SusieT said:

I would take the ferry over flying any time, moreso in the current situation. I hope they can get you sorted out quickly 

I used to work on the ferry between Hamburg and Harwich a long time ago, that was a lot of fun and if I were to tell you the stories you would think twice before taking the ferry, also don´t look around your cabin with a black light.

18 minutes ago, slammer said:

if I were to tell you the stories you would think twice before taking the ferry,

Please! I'm. all ears!!

23 minutes ago, slammer said:

I used to work on the ferry between Hamburg and Harwich a long time ago, that was a lot of fun and if I were to tell you the stories you would think twice before taking the ferry, also don´t look around your cabin with a black light.

I am not a cabin person.  Used to sleep outside in a sleeping bag, when necessary.   Also, I always stayed on deck leaving or entering deck, somewhere near the lifeboats. And not too far away anytime.  I refused to go to passport control once entering the UK, it was in the bowels of the ship.  Said I was puking.  Never understood how people could get drunk in a disco deep down.  But sailing from, and into a country, is a wonderful feeling for me.  Perhaps planes would be too, but I would have to be in the cockpit.

So, the flight is booked! Arriving in Athens of an early evening, taxi 25 kilometres  to the clinic clinic bed and room sorted out, check up at 7.30 the next morning, op same day, one further night in bed, follow up check up early the next morning and, then , away with me.

Not allowed to fly so will have to take the 9.30 pm ferry to Heraklion, arriving around 6 am.

God knows what I will do with about 12 hours in Athens... “ sightseeing “ probably not on ( literally!😂) and God knows if there is anywhere to eat ...corona shutdown stuff...

But I want to sort it out- the corona stuff has meant serious eye problems are not being treated in hospital in Heraklion and the department is closed till further notice!🙁

The waiting list is already in the several hundreds...

The place looks posh and clean! Wonder where the bar is?😂

https://www.athenseyehospital.gr/gr/video/videos-paroysiasis/paroysiasi-athens-eye-hospital-ofthalmologiko-nosokomeio-p118.html

The beds even come with a pillow!😂

And Dr Rallatos and the place in general have super reviews!

https://www.google.de/search?q=athens+eye+hospital&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-de&client=safari#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLWT9c3LEnLSiorNHvE6M4t8PLHPWEpu0lrTl5jtODiCs7IL3fNK8ksqRTS4mKDshS4-KWQ9WkwSPFyIQvw7GLi98lPTswJyM8MSi3LTC0vXsQqnViSkZpXrJBamaqQkV9ckFmSmKNQBJEFAAyzbfqJAAAA

Travel restrictions and I wouldn’t be able to fly back! Can’t fly the 40 minutes back either post-op but there’s the 8-9 hour ferry!

Trying to organise a ticket with a cabin with no one to share with! 😂

Eye surgery could be useful but I don’t want to risk a corona infection afterwards! And I will be knackered— don’t want a stranger snoring near me or coughing all over me!!!

10 hours ago, slammer said:

I used to take that ferry and it was great. Get on at Harwich and wake up going into Hamburg. I was so sad when it shut down. I hope there is a chance Brexit and booze cruises and duty free will make them think about restarting it but I guess it won't happen.

11 hours ago, black1 said:

I used to take that ferry and it was great. Get on at Harwich and wake up going into Hamburg. I was so sad when it shut down. I hope there is a chance Brexit and booze cruises and duty free will make them think about restarting it but I guess it won't happen.

Did not know that the service had stopped, It moved from the Landungsbrücken to a terminal a bit down the Elbe, that I know. 

Come on, spill the beans. What should ferry users know before they got without a life-belt...?

Best of luck

@johng

22 hours ago, optimista said:

Come on, spill the beans. What should ferry users know before they got without a life-belt...?

Best of luck

@johng

Oh there are many beans, outgoing from HH to Harwich was generally easy, the other way round when the Brits found out that there was no closing time... Well, the ship came with cells and a morgue and both were used on many an occasion. A girls school from some christian institute went wild when their handlers retired to a cabin for some... "R&R," we had teenagers porking in the woodwork the whole trip. Speaking of Pork, the ship was a strange build with a hull form that the sea would toss around like a cork, one winter trip a lorry full of pigs capsized, they escaped and we had ourselves a hunt with the fire axes. A damaged harrier was being trucked back to the UK, it had not been disarmed. There was hell to pay as a consequence. We lost one or two overbord, the call of the sea is very real, add to oodles of alcohol and you get people with the common sense god gave a bag of hammers and who thought they could swim to the pretty lights of the Belgian coast, we never stopped to look for them.

One storm we got our asses handed to us. A normal trip would take around 20 hours, this one took over 70 and we were blown off course almost to Norway and not a single plate or glass was left intact.

Lots and lots of stories, and that was only on one ship, I sailed on three, MS Europa, MS Prinz Hamlet and Patricia, a tramp ship out of Bremerhaven.

Most interesting post of the year, Slammer - what I can understand of it. Keep 'em cummin'.

Translation for "porking" and "R&R" (Womping and Wollocking or Wosary and West)?

Wot is a Tramp ship please?

I'm American, and I understood @slammer perfectly. ;)

"porking" is intercourse, and R&R (rest&recuperation) here prolly means the same. Or drinking. Or both.

A tramp ship doesn't work on a line or fixed schedule/ports of call.

2 hours ago, Metall said:

I'm American, and I understood @slammer perfectly. ;)

"porking" is intercourse, and R&R (rest&recuperation) here prolly means the same. Or drinking. Or both.

A tramp ship doesn't work on a line or fixed schedule/ports of call.

True, a tramp ship has no regular route, one day we could be picking up scrap form Coruna and hauling it to Belgium, or Cellulose from Gävle in Sweden destined for some paper mill in France, grain from the UK sold to Russia. Once the loadmaster miscalculated and we got stuck in the middle of the Albert canal in Belgium for days until the authorities could find enough water to refloat us. Sometimes it was simply "sail to coordinates so and so and drop anchor!" That was the call for BBQ on the aft deck and all day fishing. But most of the time we were in the Baltic going from one tiny one ship port to another, or stuck in Terneuzen for days on end and the next pub miles away, them were the days the hookers came with a boat hire company. Tramps are really the bottom feeders of shipping.

The ship it´s self was called Patricia and sailed under Tom Worden´s flag until hired out to Scan transport. It was an old post-war built ship called a "999" as in: just under a thousand tons, a type also known as a Kümo or Küstenmotorschiff  aka. "Weselmann" insiders will know what I mean. Rolled like a log in high seas and was prone to corkscrewing, just thinking about that makes me want to lay down and heave.

On 12/19/2020, 1:00:04, Acton said:

Please! I'm. all ears!!

All eyes, please!😂

4 hours ago, slammer said:

True, a tramp ship has no regular route, one day we could be picking up scrap form Coruna and hauling it to Belgium, or Cellulose from Gävle in Sweden destined for some paper mill in France, grain from the UK sold to Russia. Once the loadmaster miscalculated and we got stuck in the middle of the Albert canal in Belgium for days until the authorities could find enough water to refloat us. Sometimes it was simply "sail to coordinates so and so and drop anchor!" That was the call for BBQ on the aft deck and all day fishing. But most of the time we were in the Baltic going from one tiny one ship port to another, or stuck in Terneuzen for days on end and the next pub miles away, them were the days the hookers came with a boat hire company. Tramps are really the bottom feeders of shipping.

The ship it´s self was called Patricia and sailed under Tom Worden´s flag until hired out to Scan transport. It was an old post-war built ship called a "999" as in: just under a thousand tons, a type also known as a Kümo or Küstenmotorschiff  aka. "Weselmann" insiders will know what I mean. Rolled like a log in high seas and was prone to corkscrewing, just thinking about that makes me want to lay down and heave.

I love your stories!💋💋🙏🏻🙏🏻
More please!

One of my favourite friends ever, Armenio from Colorado ( RIP) , was the “ chief washer uper “ on the HH-Harwich ferry c. 1970! 

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

I love your stories!💋💋🙏🏻🙏🏻
More please!

One of my favourite friends ever, Armenio from Colorado ( RIP) , was the “ chief washer uper “ on the HH-Harwich ferry c. 1970! 

That would be this one, the same I sailed on. I was one of the cooks.

1654825.jpg

Long shot here! Did you ever meet Armenio Lujan? Mexican American? Around 30 years old then? Dark hair, witty as hell. Charming.

My God, karma?