I woke up blind in one eye this morning

518 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, fraufruit said:

All the very best, John. I'll be in your pocket.

21 hours ago, Metall said:

I will restrain myself. Oh look, here's the cash John has to pay the Greek doctor! *rustle*

No charges today! I got off Scot free!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS: in case anyone wants to go all PC on me, Scot has nothing to do with Scotland or Scottish people but refers to the old English word " sceot " (Tax) ! So there!!!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Up at 5, took my little dog Max for a poop walk in the dark, got the bus shortly after 6 and was in Heraklion around 8.30.

Buses leave at 6 am in Greece ?? I could put that in "What has flummoxed me today?"

Even better, Luke! This bus started out from Sitea, which is about an hour away-- depending on traffic.My first thought is always: " is the driver awake? " Or: " does his breath smell of raki? "

:P 

Depending on traffic at 5 am, haha. Which Greek gets up that early :)?

When I was on Cyprus last year, the bus stop had no schedules displayed, probably because it makes no sense anyway. You can ask locals at which time the bus was supposed to arrive to get some idea. One day the bus drivers were on strike (no pay for 4 months), but nobody knew when it was going to end. This must drive Germans completely nuts.

Oh I remember that bus driver on Kos. Utter maniac. You can find a discussion about him on the Tripadvisor blog. (Slowing down at the island's one roundabout and giving way? Nah, that's for sissies. Besides a bus is bigger than everyone else.) When someone asked him to slow down, he verbally abused her. She told him she would report him to the company. He replied "I am the company." Utter bastard.

33 minutes ago, optimista said:

Oh I remember that bus driver on Kos. Utter maniac. You can find a discussion about him on the Tripadvisor blog. (Slowing down at the island's one roundabout and giving way? Nah, that's for sissies. Besides a bus is bigger than everyone else.) When someone asked him to slow down, he verbally abused her. She told him she would report him to the company. He replied "I am the company." Utter bastard.

In Greece, as opposed to everywhere else these days, people entering a roundabout have right of way.

Traffic already on a roundabout has to stop and give way to traffic entering the roundabout.

https://www.sixt.co.uk/magazine/tips/driving-tips-in-greece/

Blimey! I phoned the hospital yesterday and they told me the doc was in the US this week and that I should phone again next week to ask about the next treatment.

The hospital just called me - Tuesday next week!!!!!!

Wow! Go away silicon!

John, you are a patient man.  After 18 months of dealing with this and you've maintained your humour.  I would have just ripped my eye (and hair out) about 12 months ago!  Hope you're doing well!

Ha , Bayrisch! Nicole has been joking around with people, saying she‘s worried I‘ll get back my eyesight because I‘ll be able to see women again!?

Bloody hell! Got to the hospital but my normal doc was busy so TWO other docs said "we´ll do the scan now and it´ll hurt a bit. Hurt? It felt like migraine every time they hit me with the scan machine, flashing lights everywhere. " Please don´t keep moving your head!"

Easier said than done! So the deed was done after 30 minutes  and I asked if it was over...

" No, you have to come back next week...we haven´t finished yet".

" What did you do? We burnt your eye so as to leave a scar..that will help your artificial lens. " I didn´t dare ask any more apart from: " what about the silicon? "

" After next week, you have to check with the doc."

" Will I see better now already though?"

"No."

:(

Got home hours later, took the dogs out one-eyed and then opened a letter that had arrived while I was out...and paid Hamburg a fucking tax bill.

:ph34r::ph34r:

More fun and games tomorrow and a 200 kilometre round trip!

Another tax bill when I get home?

:lol:

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

More fun and games tomorrow and a 200 kilometre round trip!

Another tax bill when I get home?

:lol:

Be like the Canadians- "True North- proud and strong"!!;)

Good luck.

Another long day! I accepted the recommendation and offer of a pain killer first!

The first 20 minutes was with a lady doctor. Then she said her hands and legs were tired so a male doctor took over! More burning...45 minutes in all. Successful but have to go back for a check up in two weeks and then to discuss if, how, when to remove the silicon at the back.

Jeez...

Yep, got an email from my Steuerberater about the next tax and hefty payment in November!!

Bloody hell, hefty and constant tax bills from Germany whilst living in Greece but have to remain angemeldet in Hamburg for professional reasons and also because of Brexit (to strengthen my case )  because we do intend to return sometime next year.

Off with a puppy to the vet tomorrow and another reason to leave long term...it is just too much...

:ph34r:

Meet an Albanian family´s dog Mandy! They won´t go to the vet with her...rain and storms are forecast from Thursday for three days and because she is not allowed into their house but has to " live " outside, have to find room for her with the other dogs...she´s not house trained!

This beaut WILL; by hook or by crook,:ph34r:  be stolen, kidnapped and not returned to sender. Look at her! Hopefully, c. March. She deserves better than being left on her own 24 hours a day. She´s a baby.

Greeks: contradictory like anywhere else. Warm-hearted often. The lady taxi driver who drove me home last week drove me home again today. I told her she could turn off the clock..cash plus tip. She nearly cried. The 30 euros meant a lot to her. We had phoned from Heraklion to arrange a time. Got into the taxi and she said " wait, sir. "

She went into her mum´s hairdressing salon and handpressed a fresh orange juice for me! "

Bloody Greeks...you can love and hate at the same time...she LOVES dogs and has a couple so I love her!

2bb4cc2b-cabf-46d4-b0df-0bd7a3fcfb60.JPG

John, despite being new to the TT community, and having only read your posts over different threads, I think it's quite clear your heart comes from a good place. I hope your dodgy eye heals up nicely. 

Mandy is the sweetest thing.

3 hours ago, john g. said:

Greeks: contradictory like anywhere else. Warm-hearted often.

I concur with the right honourable sir.

I woke up this morning with a swollen right eyelid  ( the bad eye ) and in some discomfort. I bought some antibiotic eyedrops at the pharmacy in town.. Mist?

The hospital appointment for the next check up isn’t until 9 am next week.

I hope they don’t say : “ go home and come back another time.. we can’t move on as you have had/ have an infection..»

I have to get up at 5 that day and am then away till mid- afternoon.

?

when is the apt John?  If the antibiotic drops do not help in next 24 hours - you need to see your MD. This could be serious , so do not procrastinate!

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

when is the apt John?  If the antibiotic drops do not help in next 24 hours - you need to see your MD. This could be serious , so do not procrastinate!

Friday, Red! If it is still swollen on Monday, I will  have to go to the next town on the very early school bus and wait in town for a couple of hours before the doc opens!

The sunrise there will be nice!

?