Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I woke up blind in one eye this morning

446 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear about your continued eye troubles John!

I had surgery to repair a detached retina in one eye 5 weeks ago and then some laser "welding" to repair holes in the other one last week.

My timeline went:
Sunday evening - 2/3rds of the vision in the left eye was suddenly covered by a grey curtain
Monday morning - went to eye doctor who sent me to the Uni Klinik in Regensburg
Tuesday afternoon - operation (scleral buckle)

Thursday afternoon - went home

I still can't see sod all in the operated eye, although I've got quite a lot of blood swimming around inside the Glaskörper which means seeing is impossible anyway.

It's doing my head in not being able to drive, the longest time since passing my test 30 years ago. :angry:

How long after your operation could you see more or less normally again?

Hi Eric! Congratulations and solidarity!

I still can´t see sod all out of the bad eye, Eric, as it is full of post-op cataracts!!! And they put silicon at the back of the eye to protect the healing process last year. Double whammy!!

Doc messaged me this morning after my calls...appointment Monday 26th August, 100 miles to the clinic for last checks/discussions (translation: how much cash to bring:D) and then hopefully fixed appointments in September for one or probably two operations!

At least I am guaranteed to keep to the swimming/beach season for August and maybe a couple of weeks in September before the rigmarole starts all over again!

Bloody hell! The public hospital phoned today...Wednesday 9 am...they want to rid me of the cataracts! Can´t believe it...have postponed the other doc.Someone told me today " Crete loves you! "...first, my glasses were a couple of days ago returned to the shore ( they were knocked off my face a week or two ago by a high wave whilst I was  swimming ).and now this...just in time for the appointment!!

Edit: forgot to mention. 500 euros cash! Hey, ok. More worthwhile for me personally than finding a burger bar and stuffing my face twenty times...or fifty times. Or a hundred times..nothing more precious than your personal health.

11 minutes ago, john g. said:

Bloody hell! The public hospital phoned today...Wednesday 9 am...they want to rid me of the cataracts! Can´t believe it...have postponed the other doc.Someone told me today " Crete loves you! "...first, my glasses were a couple of days ago returned to the shore ( they were knocked off my face a week or two ago by a high wave whilst I was  swimming ).and now this...just in time for the appointment!!

May the force be with you! Just avoid the waves;)

Thank you, dear Red! And I promise I won´t grab the assistant! Whoops, wrong thread!:D

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

Thank you, dear Red! And I promise I won´t grab the assistant! Whoops, wrong thread!:D

Exceptions can be made!!

May the exception be with me!!!:D

( And a massive exception...up at 5.30 that morning...shit round with  dog or two, tired on the bus and then to say hello to fifty people with eye problems at the doc place..)

Da muss ich mal durch...

Interesting day! Up at 5, bus at 6 to Heraklion. Taxi to hospital on time for 9 am operation. It didn´t happen!

:D

Tests and stuff like that and (the assistant doctor ) " we can´t locate the silicon oil from last year. The doc is operating right now..can you come back at 3 pm? "

WHAT?

No choice really..so I went back into Heraklion City, mused around, had a Greek salad, sweated even more in the heat, bought two batteries for my bank TAN (still doesn´t work, though!!)..and back to hospital.

" Hello, Mr Gunn..now we know the size of the artificial lens you need. With luck, next Tuesday morning, we can remove the cataracts, the silicon and put in the lens."

Will it happen?

:lol:

I mentioned.." shall I bring around 500 euros cash? "

Doc smiled.." that sounds about right . "

You never know!!!

PS: took four taxi rides in total today in Heraklion. One driver charged 5 euros for a ten minute ride and refused a tip!! " Honour."  Amazing!

good kuck john g. i am a forum friend vith some brittish expats who lve in greece  they say you need euros to be trated by grrek doctors.

Thank you, Magmax! It certainly helps to have a bit of cash around!!!

:rolleyes:

It is usually more important with doctors and dentists outside a hospital. 30-50 euros for everything and no questions asked. No point in writing to an insurance company..the receipt ( if you ever get one ) just mentions a sum paid but not what for!!!

So, at home you prepare some money envelopes? You should put these sums in a book for recording purpose incl. date and treatment: Dr. Kostas ....€50, Dr. Vassilis...€30, Dr. Dimitra...€40, etc. like in the mafia :). Might come in handy someday.

I can´t do that, Luke! I can´t take it seriously..nor can I take the Greek mafia seriously..they´re .too disorganised!!! Greece is a wonder to itself!

:P:P

It´s one of those places you can love and hate equally passionately!!

You are welcome john g sorry for lack of caps keyboard not working properly. good luck vith doctor steelokopulos.

Hopefully you're finally on the mend...Captain Greybeard! :lol::lol:  The pirate look suits, john!  All you need is a pair of boots and a sword.

Thank you, my dear Bayrisch! There is a tunnel at the end of the light!  Had to fight the womenfolk off in the hospital. " Are you married? With children? "

I disappointed three of them with my answer. I think they are dejected now.

:lol:

Seriously, they were all really lovely, Greeks at their best. No political correctness in that place..you can still joke and banter!

The doc knows his psychological stuff, too. At the end, he just said: " it all went very well.." and left. Those were the only words I wanted to hear.

Bless them in that place. (Especially the underpaid lady who helped me undress before the op!!)

:P:P

7 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

Hopefully you're finally on the mend...Captain Greybeard! :lol::lol:  The pirate look suits, john!  All you need is a pair of boots and a sword.

Can you see the snake on my belt???

It´s my trouser snake!!!

Good news so far.  Keeping my fingers crossed (perhaps that should read keeping my thumbs pressed).