I woke up blind in one eye this morning

466 posts in this topic

I´m still one-eyed!

:D

Up at 5.30...got the hospital in Heraklion at 9 and all was well! The nurse person said hello and put drops in my eye. " Please wait outside." The crowds gathered....30 or more people with visual problems. More drops and I waited.

Then an assistant doc came along and beckoned me into his  room. " The first stage of the program is to laser you." I sat down, chin fixed, joking about how lovely my blue eyes were when I was a child...

He was about to laser but then stopped..." cataract problem."

" I know and the hospital knows..I was here in December."

" Please wait outside. "

So I did.

Half an hour went by..then I spotted the assistant doc. I asked what was going on. " Please talk to the nurse."

So I did. " We are too busy to operate. We will call you in one or two months."

" No, you won´t. You always say that."

" We will."

The good news? I can go swimming tomorrow morning.

:lol:

Jeez...

15 minutes ago, john g. said:

The good news? I can go swimming tomorrow morning.

That must be wonderful to have the sea to hand. I have to make do with the inlaws pool!

Even better news..I have no in-law:Ds here!---(not that I could see them anyway!)

Interesting: I noticed a couple of even older people with letters in their hand. Big letters: RENDEZVOUS. ie an invitation to the hospital. At first, I though it was a death certificate!!! Not that I wished that upon anyone.

The things that go through your mind when you´re waiting to see a doc!

14 minutes ago, john g. said:

Even better news..I have no in-law:Ds here!---(not that I could see them anyway!)

Stop John, you're giving me the holiday mood yet again. 

Just back from southern France a week ago near San Tropez. Luckily we're down in the Südtirol in a month hiking. There's a valley near Bolsano which has these alms in a chain which you reach by cable car, and you walk from alm to alm. In each you quaff a quarter litre of the locally made red. The balconies give a view thousands of feet down.

35547543_1918512108187239_61026723488868

You get these simple meals - bread, ham and cheese on a board. Then you wander between alms. Heaven.

3 hours ago, john g. said:

" We are too busy to operate. We will call you in one or two months."

" No, you won´t. You always say that."

" We will."

John, how can I convince you to have the procedure done in Germany?

Are you still health insured here?

How about setting up an appointment at the Munich eye clinic, and visiting me so you won't be by yourself while healing... you can work from here... I promise I won't steal you from Nicole. :D

Wow! A Greek friend has just had his eye 

sorted out by a top class  private doc in Heraklion. I phoned and he´s in England for a few days but Wednesday next week --appointment!!! No more messing around with the hospital!

That's great. Hope it all goes well for you!

Interesting day! Up early and got to the bus stop at 6.10 am. As the bus was stopping, a loud clap of thunder! And rain and lightning. Charming! And then I realised I´d forgotten (or lost) my mobile !

Got to Heraklion early at 8.30. The eye clinic was open but said appointment still had to be 10.30..not before.

Time dragged on but eventually the first of three tests and three different docs.

My cataracts are so dense they couldn´t see the silicon at the back of the eye despite modern equipment but located it through the ultrasound.

Lovely people they were! I felt in good hands! They need a week to decide on a medical strategy..it´s a tough one. They want to find the safest method to deal with it and it will involved at least two treatments.

Ah well!

PS: mobile phone was on the floor at home..I´d obviously dropped it on the way out!!!!:D

On July 4, 2019 at 3:16:36 PM, jeremytwo said:

Stop John, you're giving me the holiday mood yet again. 

Just back from southern France a week ago near San Tropez. Luckily we're down in the Südtirol in a month hiking. There's a valley near Bolsano which has these alms in a chain which you reach by cable car, and you walk from alm to alm. In each you quaff a quarter litre of the locally made red. The balconies give a view thousands of feet down.

35547543_1918512108187239_61026723488868

You get these simple meals - bread, ham and cheese on a board. Then you wander between alms. Heaven.

Sounds amazing- must add to my pending list!

All fun and games! So I called the private clinic last week and they gave me the doc´s mobile number and said I should call at 2 pm exactly and he would be informed. So I did...and left a message. No call back.

Today, I called again and actually got to speak to the doc. I reminded him of my case and he said next Monday or Tuesday but he would call me back in a few minutes.

He didn´t so I phoned again.." Mr John, nearly ready..I will call you in a few minutes."

That was hours ago!!!

:lol: