Residence permit for employment

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some clarification of a topic that has gotten me very confused. 

I successfully applied for a working visa (type D) which I did so in response to a contract I received for a new job in Hamburg! 

As I understand it, I need a residency permit on top of this.

Do I need to make an appointment at a local foreigners office, or do they accept walk-ins?  How long are the waiting times to get a permit approved? 

I am only in Hamburg for 2 weeks before I am set to begin work and I worried that I'm not going to receive the permit in time.  

What are people's experiences with this kind of situation?  Any tips to help speed the process along?

Many thanks! 

It depends on where you live. Each neighborhood has it's own office. If all your paper work is in order, it is possible to get the permit right away. Where will you be living?

The Hamburg Welcome Center is a great place to start, but be advised their waiting list is now at about  4 months. It's also possible to get an 'emergency' or temporary visa, fiktionsbescheinigung.

Thanks Tor.

I'll be living around St. Pauli but I'm happy to travel if it means I can get an appointment sooner.  I emailed the Welcome Centre and they told me the waiting time was 4-5 weeks for me to received anything after I had applied, which is more than I can afford! 

Does the temporary visa include something similar to a residency permit? I'm been confused about why they would call my visa a "working visa" if I am unable to work unless I got another piece of documentation. :/ 

1 minute ago, Talia Lyek said:

Does the temporary visa include something similar to a residency permit? I'm been confused about why they would call my visa a "working visa" if I am unable to work unless I got another piece of documentation. :/ 

Your D Visum should be valid for 90 days and include the right to work.

What exactly does it say?

3 hours ago, engelchen said:

D-type Visas started to be valid for 180 days. It was the case for me and a couple of friends last year.

40 minutes ago, TurMech said:

D-type Visas started to be valid for 180 days. It was the case for me and a couple of friends last year.

The 90/180 days-rule is different: D-type Visa are valid for 90 days – within a period of 180 days. Not for 180 days. 

14 hours ago, engelchen said:

What exactly does it say?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Engelchen, my visa shows this information

VISUM

For: Deutschland 

Valid until: Oct 2018 (When I applied for it at the consulate, they gave it to me to cover my probation period, after which they told me I would need to go to the foreigners office to get it extended as per my contract).

Type: D 

Entries: Multiple

Duration: XX

Remarks: Ewerbstätigkeit gem 19A 

Aufenthaltsdauer entspricht gültigkeit 

Thank you for any insight you might have on this! 

15 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

The 90/180 days-rule is different: D-type Visa are valid for 90 days – within a period of 180 days. Not for 180 days. 

No, that is for C-type touristic Visas. I am not aware if this rule applies to D-Type Visas.

I just checked my passport, and what is written on the previous C type visas that i received from the German consulate is that;

ART DES VISUMS C, ANZAHL DER EINREISEN MULT, DAUER DES AUFENTHALTS 90 TAGE,

and on the D-Type Visa that i received prior to Blaue Karte;

ART DES VISUMS D, ANZAHL DER EINREISEN MULT, DAUER DES AUFENTHALTS XX,

and i interpret this XX as the total duration of the visa, which was 6 months. Should be the same for the OP as he/she also has XX written for the duration of stay.

5 hours ago, Talia Lyek said:

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Engelchen, my visa shows this information

VISUM

For: Deutschland 

Valid until: Oct 2018 (When I applied for it at the consulate, they gave it to me to cover my probation period, after which they told me I would need to go to the foreigners office to get it extended as per my contract).

Type: D 

Entries: Multiple

Duration: XX

Remarks: Ewerbstätigkeit gem 19A 

Aufenthaltsdauer entspricht gültigkeit 

Thank you for any insight you might have on this! 

You should ask for an appointment at the Hamburg Welcome Center. You are safe until October 2018. This is the date by which you should submit your documents and start the blue card process. If your visa expires after you started the process, it won't be an issue, a colleague has gone through the same experience. 

You have quite a lot of time, just ask for an appointment now, and they will give it to several months later. It is likely that you will receive your blue card before your Visa expires.